Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 4th November 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Narrowboating @ Newbury

Some River Rats (they live on the canal)

and some Weekend Warriors (they weekend on the canal sometimes) are Indians with a canoe

Now Naughty Diving Puppy is on the the Nuaghty rug (with his red eyes)

At the sharp end, as the gates open onto symetry

Water overflowing to the wier

I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 4th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts
Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

Being a "River Rat" once featured strongly in my retirement plans, until I was daft enough to get married at 39, having skillfully side-stepped the issue up until then.

Must ensure that SWMBO doesn't see this post!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th November 2012

OOh John, I could never be a River Rat - YOU were BRAVE or just young ...

The lack of reliable hot water and possible heating issues, let alone waking to thee damp and musty odours ... in Autumn and Winter ... LURVED the log fire (all the time it was glowing)

Musty must be why its call Muster on ships

A weekend of waking with an ice cold nose and Nick with a cold head (I have a "mop" of thick hair) he needs to sleep in a bobble hat or Beanie

and a tiny sit in bath I like to linger longer in deep hot water and bubbles ... candles glowing and wine flowing ...

the ONE photo album
Old 5th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
OOh John, I could never be a River Rat - YOU were BRAVE or just young ...

The lack of reliable hot water and possible heating issues, let alone waking to thee damp and musty odours ... in Autumn and Winter ... LURVED the log fire (all the time it was glowing)

Musty must be why its call Muster on ships

A weekend of waking with an ice cold nose and Nick with a cold head (I have a "mop" of thick hair) he needs to sleep in a bobble hat or Beanie

and a tiny sit in bath I like to linger longer in deep hot water and bubbles ... candles glowing and wine flowing ...
Haha, yes, it was just a long-term pipe dream when I was quite a bit younger but it held great appeal and, based on costs at the time, would have been a very economic way to spend retirement. Whether I would stilll feel the same about it now, had I remained single, is another matter!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Haha, yes, it was just a long-term pipe dream when I was quite a bit younger but it held great appeal and, based on costs at the time, would have been a very economic way to spend retirement. Whether I would stilll feel the same about it now, had I remained single, is another matter!

I kinda' fancied the idea after David Essex in "The River" which portrayed a wqonderful existance.

Today there is the annual Waterways licence, then a Residential Mooring of about 1,200 for 3 months. Most collect their "Log burner" wood along the towpath when walking the dog(s) ) Red Diesel for the engine and petrol for the Generator and a massive bank of 3 Leisure Special batteries for electric. Every 3 years boat out for Hull cleaning and bitumen sealing; service etc.,

If you keep moving (every two weeks) you can save the Residential Mooring fees - but no electric to plug into (for hairdryer or iron ) the leisure batteries go NUTZ if you try to do these

It appeals to lots of retired people - I prefer my Winnebago and being able to take the high roads and low roads and not the damp and musty of the River all the time

the ONE photo album
Old 5th November 2012
Floribunda

I enjoyed your photos of your canal trip Chevvy, but I think you are right. Nice to visit, but i wouldnt want to live on a narrow boat. It all looks so romantic, and I would love to have the experience, but only for a short time!
I must be getting older! My sense of adventure seems less these days.
We are having a week in Singapore from next Monday - a nice comfy hotel and pool awaits!
Old 6th November 2012

Lyn, we woke to "White outside" such a hard frost and -2 Arghhh - cries of "More Duvet"

We said about the River Rats - Heck I cannot imagine how COLD and DAMP is is on there right now

As I was out in the tackroom feeding my Henry, I thought "I used to be out here at 5am feed and skip out horses, in for my brekkers and shower/dress for riding out and off I went in a T shirt under a florescent jacket on a morning like this and the jacket would be undone - as I was sooo hot - in 30 mins

I like "COSY" in my 3rd wave ... and "Comfort" and ... Luxury too ... all of which you will have in Singapore ... ? Raffles ? or Hyett Regency ?

the ONE photo album
Old 6th November 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Lyn, we woke to "White outside" such a hard frost and -2 Arghhh - cries of "More Duvet"

We said about the River Rats - Heck I cannot imagine how COLD and DAMP is is on there right now

As I was out in the tackroom feeding my Henry, I thought "I used to be out here at 5am feed and skip out horses, in for my brekkers and shower/dress for riding out and off I went in a T shirt under a florescent jacket on a morning like this and the jacket would be undone - as I was sooo hot - in 30 mins

I like "COSY" in my 3rd wave ... and "Comfort" and ... Luxury too ... all of which you will have in Singapore ... ? Raffles ? or Hyett Regency ?
Hyatt Regency Chevvy - got a good deal - but will have to have a "Singapore Sling" at Raffles won't I?
Old 6th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
Hyatt Regency Chevvy - got a good deal - but will have to have a "Singapore Sling" at Raffles won't I?
Lyn, I am sooo looking forward to your photos ... the Hyatt Regency is the Best bringing on back the goodtimes - and a Sling Sing at Raffles loads of photos please ...

but I am soo old I cannot recall the year ... maybe 1996 and look out for buildings by Kuah the Architect

the ONE photo album
Old 6th November 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Lyn, I am sooo looking forward to your photos ... the Hyatt Regency is the Best bringing on back the goodtimes - and a Sling Sing at Raffles loads of photos please ...

but I am soo old I cannot recall the year ... maybe 1996 and look out for buildings by Kuah the Architect
We have been to Singas a few times Chevvy, first was in 1984 as a stopover to your lovely country - our first overseas trip. Our eyes popped out of our heads when we landed at Changi and saw rows and rows of planes lined up on the tarmac!
We just had to return. Singapore is easy to get to from Oz - about a 6 hour flight. It is so clean and I of course love the gardens.
This will be the first time I will have a "real" camera with me so am looking forward to the trip more than ever!
Old 6th November 2012

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Nice set Chevvy, thanks for sharing.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 7th November 2012

Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,344 Posts
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,162 Posts

Nice shot out of the lock and perfect expression from that little helper! in no1. I love narrowboating just don't get time to do it these days . John your plan sounded very attractive.