Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 5th August 2009
MARS

uv filter (and others) for 9-18mm lens

I am awaiting arrival of said lens and want to get a filter to protect it. So please advise- Is there significant difference between the cheaper kenko/hoya filters and more expensive brands or hoya pro, etc.
With the kenko/hoya basic ones will vignetting be a problem on this wide angle lens? Has anyone had experience of this?
Likewise, with polarising filter. What do you recommend?
Furthermore!, having just read the previous thread on filter holders and vignetting any further advice on this problem and ND grad. filters would be appreciated. (i think that's all!)
Old 6th August 2009
Kiwi Paul

Re: uv filter (and others) for 9-18mm lens

You may have to be careful, if you choose to put a protection filter on and then use another filter on top of that (a polarizer say) you may (not sure) catch the edge of the second filter at wider angles if it protrudes too far. I use a Hoya pro polarizer, it fits the 12-60 and 9-18mm and works ok except sometimes depending on the angle of the sun the polarization effect can vary across the shot at wide angles.

Personally I prefer to use the better quality filters (i.e the Hoya pro range), if you hunt about (Amazon often have good prices) thay aren't that dear.

I have stopped using protection filters on my lenses, it's an ongoing debate and there will always be disagreements but I decided the cost and potential image degrading using them outweighed the risk. I've never (touch wood) damaged a lens element yet.

Paul
Old 6th August 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A polariser will be of only limited use at the wide end. The angle of view is so great that it will almost certainly cause banding (areas of darker tint) in the sky. It's a problem with the 11-22, so will certainly be apparent with the 9-18.

You will also find that more and more people now forego the use of protection/ UV/ skylight filters because a) they can cause or exacerbate flare in non-optimal light conditions b) modern lens coatings are much, much more resilient than they were in 35mm days.

Personally, old habits die hard and I still use UV filters, but tend to take them off if I'm shooting even slightly towards the light source. They occasionally prove their worth in rain, spray or other adverse conditions.

The usual advice with filters is to buy the best you can afford. You've just spent a pile of cash on a lens: it makes sense to make sure anything you put in front of it is of matching quality. In photography, you tend to get what you pay for.

With ND Grads, some brands (Cokin, Kood) can produce undesirable colour casts in some situations. Hi-Tech and Lee (Ker-ching ) seem free of this problem. You may need 100mm filters to avoid vignetting @ 9mm...

Last edited by HughofBardfield; 6th August 2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 7th August 2009
MARS

Thanks very much for the useful advice. As I am going on holiday very shortly, i think i will have to just use the lens as is for now anyway, and sort out any filters later.
MARS
Old 7th August 2009
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARS View Post
Thanks very much for the useful advice. As I am going on holiday very shortly, i think i will have to just use the lens as is for now anyway, and sort out any filters later.
MARS
Whoa....

I would STRONGLY recommend that you get a UV filter on the lens before your holiday... they are easily available and cheap compared to the cost of replacing your lens when you scratch it.

As said above get the best you can find / afford as thinness of filter will be important with a lens that wide

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 8th August 2009

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARS View Post
MARS
As Andy points out it is worth considering a UV filter. What type of holiday are you planning? E.g. if it is by the coast then a UV filter will protect against sea spray. If it is in the mountains then UV filters absorb the UV which can add haze to the photo.

It is down to personal choice, Hoya even do a plain glass protection filter (ie no UV absorption).