Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 9th May 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts
Re: Is it street or something else, and is it any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The image works, why does it matter if it meets some people's definition of street?

The colour version for me.
You're right, David, it doesn't really matter - but I still find it an interesting topic to debate.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th May 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I really like this image John, in fact I like both of them. What I mean is that like you I too had trouble deciding which portrayal of the scene I liked best. My take is that the colour one emphasises the layers of the three groups and therefore has a more 3D feel. In the B&W one then the front group of 3 stands out more and the others just feel more like general background. A complete load of tosh I'm sure but just what I felt as I looked at the images. Overall the scene makes me smile and if you saw that scene unfolding in your mind before you took the picture and then deliberately captured it that's awesome in my book. I'd frame them both and put them in your next exhibition.
Thanks Phill, I think the 3D effect is a combination of the receding tones in the fog and a fairly long focal length (169mm, 338mm equivalent). I cannot claim to have anticipated the scene, I was playing around with my 70-300mm lens in the fog and happened to be concentrating on this group when they spontaneously formed these positions. The father looked back to his wife (just out of frame) and I reacted without any planning or forethought.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th May 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Whilst we're discussing street photography and/or photojournalism here's an interesting article on the ethics: http://petapixel.us3.list-manage1.co...e&e=b8a5b56ba0

Many of us would not go out hunting for human suffering, but what would you do if something awful happened in front of your nose, in your town or city. Assuming you had a camera with you (as should be the case; always wear your camera) would you capture the event, or would put the thing down and help. Of course the significance of the photographic record is huge - did Napalm Girl help rid us of the dreadful weapon? It's an interesting train of thought - worth reading.

on flickr
Old 9th May 2017
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

To me the beach is just one big sandy street. Its about outdoor places with people, and event, not just a location

Like many I prefer colour, and I like your clarified processed version over the original but maybe I would suggest to de-saturate or similar the person walking away in the red jacket leaving just the focussed people with the red focus

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (9th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
To me the beach is just one big sandy street. Its about outdoor places with people, and event, not just a location

Like many I prefer colour, and I like your clarified processed version over the original but maybe I would suggest to de-saturate or similar the person walking away in the red jacket leaving just the focussed people with the red focus

Regards
Andy
Thanks Andy. Yes, I think that would work.

Old 9th May 2017

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I love Martin Parr's work but Harry Callahan is new to me. Thanks for the link, I will explore further!
I love a lot of Callahan's work. For me he sits as a successor to Paul Strand, with a mixture of 'street' images (for want of better word), semi abstract patterns, and a prolonged series of lovely, tender images of his wife.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Zuiko (9th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017

Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,422 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I tried cloning out the 2 background groups (see comment above), but I also tried turning these 2 groups into a straightforward greyscale so that they were not so intrusive. I liked this last version the best and would recommend you try it yourself (or I could post my version).
Quote:
I'd love to see your processed version; here is the unedited raw file (only resized and converted to JPEG for the forum) for comparison....
I liked the processing you did to lighten and strengthen the image so here is my quick and dirty take to grey scale the background groups based on that.

Based on an image by Zuiko.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (9th May 2017)
Zuiko (9th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

I don't think that anyone has mentioned the little girl, yet she is the star of the show. She has a confidence and independence of spirit that just radiates. One of so many elements that make this rather special.

David
OM USer (9th May 2017), Zuiko (9th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I liked the processing you did to lighten and strengthen the image so here is my quick and dirty take to grey scale the background groups based on that.

Based on an image by Zuiko.
Ah yes, I like what you have done. By losing the red jacket in the middle group it no longer competes with the main subjects but still provides a sense of depth. This is a great example of how "Looking for Improvement" can provide suggestions that you have not previously considered.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
OM USer (10th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
You're right, David, it doesn't really matter - but I still find it an interesting topic to debate.
I think the more interesting debate is why some people prefer the colour version while others prefer the mono version.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 9th May 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think the more interesting debate is why some people prefer the colour version while others prefer the mono version.
You have a point - and personally I'm edging towards the colour version, but with the red jacket in the middle group of people desaturated.

Old 9th May 2017

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

I have to say I disagree about the red jacket which I feel balances the red object in the dog walker's hand without (because of recession) being too distracting.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Crazy Dave (10th May 2017), Zuiko (10th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
I have to say I disagree about the red jacket which I feel balances the red object in the dog walker's hand without (because of recession) being too distracting.
I tend to agree but wonder how it would work with the distant figures lightened a little as if they were more obscured by the mist. The colour would still be there but lighter.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Zuiko (10th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I have to agree, the original with three patches of red forms a nice compositional triangle.

I'm not a big fan of Photoshopping (correction: I find pixel manipulation the curse of the devil), and as soon as it's done, integrity is lost.

on flickr
Zuiko (10th May 2017)
Old 9th May 2017

Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,027 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Can I throw in a curve ball? I have red/green colour blindness and until it was mentioned I was not aware of a red jacket or a colour with the crisp packet!
I still prefer the B&W version but am I seeing a differing version to the rest of you?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?