Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 8th March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback on camerainthepost.com

Hi,
Today I contacted an eBay seller with a high 100% seller rating about possibly including import charges into the purchase price. He said he would be able to do so if I bought from his website directly. The guy is HK based and his website is www.camerainthepost.com
Anybody have prior experience with this seller/website? Your feedback would be really appreciated!!

Rutwij

My FLICKR
Old 8th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: Feedback on camerainthepost.com

100% rating is a good starting point but of course you do lose any protection you may have got from ebay when you deal direct. Also, there are warranty issues with grey imports so it needs to be a very, very good deal to make it worth considering.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
rutwij (9th March 2013)
Old 9th March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 SHG lenses 14-35 and 35-100 for a combined list price of 3284... to be negotiated downwards of course, including taxes. What would be a fair price to offer in such circumstances for 2 new lenses?
I haven't needed to invoke warranty with any of my Oly products now for about 5 years (touchwood), so 1 year international warranty will be enough for me.

Rutwij

My FLICKR
Old 9th March 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I think you need to find out how much you would have to pay in import duty and VAT ...oh and there could be a handling charge too depending upon who delivers the items!
Old 9th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutwij View Post
2 SHG lenses 14-35 and 35-100 for a combined list price of 3284... to be negotiated downwards of course, including taxes. What would be a fair price to offer in such circumstances for 2 new lenses?
I haven't needed to invoke warranty with any of my Oly products now for about 5 years (touchwood), so 1 year international warranty will be enough for me.

Rutwij
Warehouse Express are selling the two lenses for a total of 3708, which is 424 more than your quoted price. However, if you had to pay VAT on what you have been quoted the total cost would rise to 3940, which is 232 more than you would pay at Warehouse Express.

To maintain the price differential after taking VAT into account, your seller would need to drop his price to 2737. VAT of 547 would then bring the total cost up to 3284, the price which you have been quoted.

You will need to decide how much of a saving you need to make by buying from abroad to make it worthwhile, taking into account the warranty issue and any security concerns that you may have about an unknown foreign supplier.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisspencer View Post
I think you need to find out how much you would have to pay in import duty and VAT ...oh and there could be a handling charge too depending upon who delivers the items!
If there is import duty to pay as well as VAT then this needs to be factored into the figures as well. Postage from Warehouse Express is free, so Rutwij will also need to take into account any delivery charges from abroad. I picked Warehouse Express because they stock a large range of items and are well known; there may be another UK supplier that is cheaper.

Whether buying from a UK dealer or abroad, be sure to pay by credit card, rather than debit card, as you do get an extra element of protection with a credit card. However, if buying from abroad I would check this with the card issuer to be certain.

Old 9th March 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I guess that's the risk you take if buying from outside the EU.
For small items, I have bought from HK/China/USA and have always been prepared to have duty and VAT placed on the purchase... and some times I have had to pay at ridiculous amounts too!

£12 vat/duty/handling charge on a t-shirt costing $24 from the USA!
(robbing bar stewards , worse than the bloody bankers bonuses!)

For items in the £1-2K I personally wouldn't take that risk,
Old 9th March 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Not sure how accurate this is, however if this is the worst case scenario:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/

Calculation results

Total customs value: £3285.33 ( I had to add $1 PP/Insurance on the calculator)
- Duty: £220.12
- VAT: £701.09
Total import duty & taxes due: £921.21
Total landed cost: £4206.54
Calculation notes
Notes on duty & taxes rates
Camera Lenses has an import duty rate of 6.7% and VAT rate of 20%.

Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee
Old 9th March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got it explicitly clarified from the guy that import duty, VAT etc was included in the price if purchased from the website rather than from eBay. I am looking to get the price knocked down by a couple of hundred at least to make it appealing. So the final price agreed will be the total price I'll pay.
HMRC have a provision for international sellers to get a license to pay the carrier the import duty/VAT, who in turn pay the charge to customs at the border. Removes the hassle from the buyer. Also avoids parcelforce processing fee in case they have to pay the duty on your behalf.

My FLICKR
Old 9th March 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

sounds good!

found this on HMRC website:

Some Internet sellers outside the EU have arrangements with the UK whereby you pay them the VAT that's due on the goods you're ordering. They then pay the VAT to their postal authority - which in turn pays it to HM Revenue & Customs. Note that these sellers must be authorised to do this. They'll have a special number that will be on the Customs Declaration. The declaration should also carry a message saying 'Import VAT pre-paid'. When this arrangement is used you won't be charged any import VAT or a Royal Mail handling fee when you get your parcel. Note that if the above procedures aren't followed properly you could end up losing the goods.

So if he has this arrangement it could be a source of imports...

doesn't mention duty though...anyway good luck, sounds promising!
Old 9th March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I reckon this equipment could be very reliably sourced from the US for a comparable or cheaper price and I'm probably going to travel in a couple of months. Considering that I will ask the seller if he's agreeable to a sizeable discount, otherwise just buy from Amazon US/Adorama/Cameta or similar.

My FLICKR
Old 9th March 2013
Administrator

Hope it goes well and you get a bargain, whoever you buy from.