Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 3rd July 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
ProCameraShop

Anyone experience or info on his site? Prices are very competitive and reviews good.

David
Old 3rd July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Re: ProCameraShop

Yes. I recently ordered the Lumix 100-300mm m4/3 lens for my OM-D from them because they were the cheapest UK dealer. The lens arrived safely and all went well. They are not the quickest of dispatchers but send a lot of confirmatory e-mails and seem to be professional and reliable.
Old 3rd July 2012

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

A little googling produced this link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/digit...mera-shop.html

I'd always be wary of of an HK outfit hiding behind a UK ID.

Andrew
Old 3rd July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

The voice on the phone when I rang Pro-camera shop was very local Brit and they were over-eager with their e-mails, if anything. The acknowledged the acceptance of the order, alerted me to the fact that it was being processed and then a third mail to conform shipping.

Having said that, these days the Chinese own or run so many things that it is hard to keep them out of our lives. Have you seen what it says on the baseplate of your OM-D?
Old 3rd July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

These days it's incredibly quick service from HK if the correct delivery service is specified by the company.

I recently bought a lens from Simply Electronics. They quoted a duties-and-VAT inclusive price. It was sent from HK (I have the evidence to prove it) on a Wednesday night and delivered to my door on Friday morning. That was using DHL.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 3rd July 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds familar. I once wanted an accounting book that was out of print here. I found a publisher in Malaysia who could print me a reprint. The book was delivered to our offices with 48 hours - brand spanking new and NO extra charge to the previously listed price. AMAZING !

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 4th July 2012

Thanked 1,318 Times in 1,029 Posts
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
These days it's incredibly quick service from HK if the correct delivery service is specified by the company.

I recently bought a lens from Simply Electronics. They quoted a duties-and-VAT inclusive price. It was sent from HK (I have the evidence to prove it) on a Wednesday night and delivered to my door on Friday morning. That was using DHL.
I've had the same experience with DWI after ordering an EX25 on a Friday afternoon & then to have the courier knock on my door on Monday morning. I watched the progress of the shipping trace from Hong Kong over the weekend & it was fast. On the next occasion for my wifes camera (Fuji HS20), it took just over a week.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Riddell View Post
A little googling produced this link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/digit...mera-shop.html

I'd always be wary of of an HK outfit hiding behind a UK ID.

Andrew
Only some of their stock is grey import, they strike me as a UK company. Their office is in Carlisle and all their employees who answer phones sound to be UK residents.

Rens
Old 18th February 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Just to add to this if anyone is thinking of "claiming" any current or future Olympus offers, this is an email reply from Olympus re the battery grip/lens offer running on the OM-D:

Dear Chris ,

Thank you for contacting Olympus,

Please be advised that according to the promotionís terms and conditions, in order for your product to be eligible for the promotion, you need to purchase it from a UK/ Ireland based retailer and the VAT/duty taxes should have been paid.
Unfortunately ProCameraShop is a Hong Kong based reseller and therefore it is not participating in the promotion. If in doubt, you can find this information here. (http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/artic...ditions_of_use)

Please be advised that according to their terms and conditions:
Smart Choice Photo Ltd. is a Hong Kong company (number: 1403529) registered to the following address:
Smart Choice Photo Ltd.
1223 Trans HK Commercial Building,
41-43 Carnavon Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui,
Kowloon,
Hong Kong

As the reseller is not based in the UK, we would not be able to honour claims for purchases made from this reseller.

Best Wishes,
Denitsa Stefanova
Olympus

Now I would assume that you get a VAT receipt if you buy from the Carlisle office, so could Olympus still refuse to honour the offer???

Chris
Old 19th February 2013

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisspencer View Post
Just to add to this if anyone is thinking of "claiming" any current or future Olympus offers, this is an email reply from Olympus re the battery grip/lens offer running on the OM-D:

Dear Chris ,

Thank you for contacting Olympus,

Please be advised that according to the promotion’s terms and conditions, in order for your product to be eligible for the promotion, you need to purchase it from a UK/ Ireland based retailer and the VAT/duty taxes should have been paid.
Unfortunately ProCameraShop is a Hong Kong based reseller and therefore it is not participating in the promotion. If in doubt, you can find this information here. (http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/artic...ditions_of_use)

Please be advised that according to their terms and conditions:
Smart Choice Photo Ltd. is a Hong Kong company (number: 1403529) registered to the following address:
Smart Choice Photo Ltd.
1223 Trans HK Commercial Building,
41-43 Carnavon Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui,
Kowloon,
Hong Kong

As the reseller is not based in the UK, we would not be able to honour claims for purchases made from this reseller.

Best Wishes,
Denitsa Stefanova
Olympus

Now I would assume that you get a VAT receipt if you buy from the Carlisle office, so could Olympus still refuse to honour the offer???

Chris
Well yes - the terms and conditions of Olympus UK offers include the wording

18. We reserve the right to refuse claims made where VAT and/or duty have not been paid. The purchase must be from a UK based retailer that has bought stock through Olympus UK or one of their authorised distributors. If in doubt, please check before purchasing. (This restriction excludes the Channel Islands).

The offer would be funded through the promotional budget of Olympus UK for the OM-D (and/or cameras in general).

Olympus UK is a seperate company from 'Olympus' (albeit one that is effectively totally owned). It will buy stock from Olympus (or one of its other owned companies) and then sell stock in its geographic area. It has the same obligations as any UK company to meet liquidity levels and the same imperative to make a profit from promotions.

It's actually under a more strict regulation than a company that both manufactured and sold equipment wholely in the UK as it needs to demonstrate that the sale of goods represents (with all sorts of caveats and complications) a transaction that is profitable (anti-dumping World Trade Organisation) with reference to the home market, the cost of production, and the costs of administration/distribution.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 21st December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Anyone experience or info on his site? Prices are very competitive and reviews good.

David
I bought an OMD from ProCameraShop after calling and talking to them. Their office is in Carlisle, and those answering the phone know at least a little about cameras.

They answered the phone quickly, responded to emails quickly, sent emails keeping me informed of the progress of my order, and and sent the OMD when they said they would.

Unfortunately it had the occasional dark frames problem, and just after two weeks I realised this was a serious fault and contacted them.
They asked me to upgrade the firmware, which did no good and delayed matters by a day.

They asked me to send the camera to Olympus for repair and offered me an SD card or spare battery as a good-will gesture. I can see this would have been easier for them, but when I said that such a new camera should be exchanged, they didn't argue.

My replacement camera came three or four days later, and this was shortly before Christmas when shipping can be slow.

So my experience with them has been perfect, with respect to both the original purchase and the prompt replacement of the faulty camera. I've now ordered a lens from them, and I'm confident it will be a trouble free transaction (but will let you know if it isn't).

Rens
Old 8th February 2013

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

Thanks for this guys. Rens, what lens did you order? Please let me know how you get on with them.
Old 9th February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Thanks for this guys. Rens, what lens did you order? Please let me know how you get on with them.
I ordered the 9-18, it arrived as promised with no hassles. You can get through and speak to them if you call, and they send emails letting you know how your order is progressing.

Absolutely no problems, I'm sure I'll use them again.

Rens
Old 19th February 2013

Liked 178 Times in 118 Posts

I would assume, (perhaps wrongly) that as a Hong Kong based company, they would do their own importing into the UK.
I've no reason to suspect them of any tax fraud, so again I assume they would pay the relevant import duties and taxes, VAT included and would thus be able to offer a VAT receipt for any UK stocked items, (if the company is large enough to be UK VAT registered.) For items shipped from abroad, I think their web site states that import duties etc are the responsibility of the customer. Have a look at the link in the previous post.
However, if the importation is done outside Olympus UK (or EU), why would Oly UK offer a free lens or grip, or extra year's warranty for that matter.
I've no doubt that Oly UK would act as an agent for the 1 year world wide warranty, but why would they offer an enhanced warranty for goods on which they have received no revenue? I would think a similar logic should follow for free lenses, grips etc.

Whilst I've never witnessed any heavy moderation on the topic, I do think we should remember that this forum is actually sponsored by Olympus UK. Whilst I may have bought the odd lens from outside Oly UK supplied dealers, I've tried not too advertise it too much on this board, though I'd have no qualms about doing so on FourthirdsPhoto, or FourthirdsUser, for example.

I'm not advocating censorship though, as threads like this do help show some of the potential advantages of Olympus UK/EU sourced kit.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 19th February 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I'm not suggesting any kind of tax evasion either, but looking at their website it could be assumed that where an item is shown as being "in stock" then it is actually in the UK, and that the duties to be paid refer to shipping to countries outside of the UK.... I was simply bringing this matter to forum users attention that Olympus probably wouldn't honour offers... and buyer beware!