Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 31st January 2008
snappy

Unhappy E510 one month old failed shows card error

I have taken about 100 photos then on monday mid photo session the evolt 510 just stopped working and displayed a card error message.I was using a Scandisk ultra 11 4GB compact flash card.I was able to download my photos via a card reader then formatted the card in the computer.The camera still would not read the card.I the inserted a Olympus XD card which worked after the third time I swiched the camera on and off then failed the same as the compact flash card.Both card work in other cameras so I assume the cards are not the problem.
Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas of a fix.
Old 31st January 2008
ndl0071

Re: E510 one month old failed shows card error

Can't offer you a fix I'm afraid, when my 510 was new it refused to read a 4gb card, I was getting the same error as you and the camera would not format the card either, however the card worked perfectly well in my daughters old Pentax Optio

I ended up taking the card back to the shop demonstrated the issue to them and they swapped my card for another identical one which happily has worked perfectly to this day, I put it down to 'just one of those things' I am not sure if there is a wider issue here?

I hope you find a solution
Old 31st January 2008

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
I have taken about 100 photos then on monday mid photo session the evolt 510 just stopped working and displayed a card error message.I was using a Scandisk ultra 11 4GB compact flash card.I was able to download my photos via a card reader then formatted the card in the computer.The camera still would not read the card.I the inserted a Olympus XD card which worked after the third time I swiched the camera on and off then failed the same as the compact flash card.Both card work in other cameras so I assume the cards are not the problem.
Hi

Are the other cameras you mention all Olympus cameras?

It is best to format Compact flash card in the camera rather than on a computer. Try formating your Compact flash card in the 510 and see if that helps.

Last edited by Invicta; 31st January 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling..
Old 31st January 2008
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
I have had a specific problem with an Extreme III once - just after getting down a mountain in the Pyrenees - Luckily it was just the last Hour of the walk I lost (hence I use a pocket full of 2Gb cards rather than anything larger - I'd hate to lose a whole day out !)

I have to say that Flash card failures are more common than most people think AND the manufacturers stats would indicate, but the fact you are reporting trouble both with CF and XD would indicate a possible problem.

I agree formatting in camera can be better than in the computer - whilst in most cases you don't need to sometimes something very specific can cause a problem.

When you've done that and if it works (and I would try this with another CF if you have one) really thrash it with some intense throughput of filling it, emptying it refilling it etc.

This should help determine whether it's a fundamental long term problem with the camera or the cards and you can then approach the appropriate supplier.

I personally wouldn't worry re damaging any cards in such tests a it's very
unusual for the physical media on a good card to be damaged, but I do have to give a health warning in that you should make sure anything on the cards is downloaded before you start.

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 31st January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try another CF card and then take the camera back if it doen't work. You must format in the camera.
Old 1st February 2008
snappy

Cool Re: E510 one month old failed shows card error

I wasnt able to formatt the card in the camera as it would not read the card.
I have another olympus camera [U725SW] so I tried the XD card from that camera and initially the E510 would not read that card either then after about 5 trys it worked,but when I turned the camera off it would not work when I tried it again.
It would seem that its a camera problem not a card problem so I have send the camera and the card to the Olympus service centre in Sydney.
When its returned I will post there sumation.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 8th February 2008
Henk

What is the firmware of your E-510? IIRC firmware update 1.1 fixed issues with CF cards.

Regards,
Henk
Old 28th February 2008
250swb

I have used a 4gb Sandisk Extreme IV card in my E510 from day one, and before the Firmware update, and it has worked like a dream. All I can say is to reiterate some of the above advice. Always format the card in the camera, and do not switch cards from one camera to another without re-formating the card in the 'new' camera each time. It also helps if you use only one card in one camera to reformat it from time to time instead of just deleting the images.
Old 28th February 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I don't think I have ever used 'Delete All', preferring to use 'Format' instead. Cards are exactly the same as HDD's and as such need regular housekeeping. If this were a HDD on XP/Windows one would perhaps use defrag to optimise the drive, doing a reformat yields optimum use of that CF card.

Old 28th February 2008
Scapula Memory

One other problem seems to be with SanDisk cards bought from a certain auction site. Apparentley many of these are fakes and prone to failure. Not suggesting the OP bought from there but maybe a good idea to avoid.
Old 28th February 2008
ewan

Only a thought, as I have not had problems of this nature, but could reseting the camera to factory default work?
Old 28th February 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Both the E-410 and E-510 had issues with some cards (mainly UDMA types, it has to be said - of which I don't believe Ultra IIs are) and firmware upgrades addressed these problems.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 28th February 2008
scanny

A friend with an e410 has this same problem with extreme 4 san disc cards. It dsplays card failure regularly. It was bought from the well known auction site
Old 13th April 2008
Rockin Ronnie

had a similar problem.....

with A-Data cards. I ordered two 4 gig "speedy" A-Data cards. Neither would work in my E-510 producing card errors. I tried to format in-camera and on computer but no luck. (firmware 1.3)

I returned the cards to the retailer who happily gave me my money back. I ordered a Sandisk Extreme III 4 gig. It is in the mail and I am hoping that the Sandisk will work without issues.

Otherwise all my 1 gig and 2 gig cards work flawlessly.

I suspect that the E-510 is very finicky when it comes to cards that are 4 gig and over in capacity and I am not sure the fix in firmware 1.1 resolved all of the issues.

Ron