Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 11th August 2019

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts
Meet the Parents

I have been a collector of cacti for over 50 years. Although I like to have a representative collection, showing all the main forms, I have certain preferences.

One group I particularly like have the tubular flower type. The narrowest, most slender tubes are found in Cleistocactus, so-named because the stamens almost close the tube. Wider ones include Matucana and Hildewintera. These can be cross-pollinated to produce intergeneric hybrids. They can also hybridise with Echinopsis, Lobivia, etc.

On about 16 July 2019 I hand pollinated the Hildwintera hybrid Kleine Gelbe 2* (small yellow) with a pure white Echinopsis.

There was no other potential pollen donor open so any seed would be from fertilisation by the Echinopsis, or by self-fertilisation.

By 23 July the fruit was seen to be forming.

On 10 August I cut fruit open and collected 15 black seed plus some paler ones, all of which I set to dry.

I will be sowing those seeds today. If they germinate it will be several years before any flowers are produced.

*”A cross of Hildewintera aureispina X CHH Hessenland, hybridized by Heinrich Humke”. The stem is about the size of my thumb

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f8 or f9, hand-held.

The stereos are crosseye.

Harold

JohnGG (11th August 2019), OM USer (11th August 2019)