Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 22nd March 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,155
Thanks: 97
Thanked 286 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,088
Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

I feel so fortunate to have a walk-in GP surgery fifty yards from my front door, despite the occasional two hour wait.
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 22nd March 2019
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,918
Thanks: 58
Thanked 833 Times in 761 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I feel so fortunate to have a walk-in GP surgery fifty yards from my front door, despite the occasional two hour wait.
Ours is strictly appointments only. The only time I have to wait more than 10 minutes is if the GP for my appointment is out on call.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 22nd March 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,155
Thanks: 97
Thanked 286 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,088
Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

You can make an appointment at ours too but you’ll normally not get one for a week or two.
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 22nd March 2019
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,918
Thanks: 58
Thanked 833 Times in 761 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
You can make an appointment at ours too but youíll normally not get one for a week or two.
We might have a similar wait for a new illness but a follow-up to an earlier consultation is usually within a week. We can't book one beyond a month ahead.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,918
Thanks: 58
Thanked 833 Times in 761 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Last week, my wife should have collected her repeat prescription (4 years, same pills) but her car was off the road for repair. She then didn't get around to it until this week.

The pharmacist said that it had been collected.

My wife sorted through her stocks of pills and could find no recent ones.

A second visit to the pharmacy revealed that "her details had been wiped off their system"! They were to contact her GP to sort it out. Two days later, she is still waiting for news.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,025
Thanks: 60
Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 359
Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Sounds typical of the gradual decline of a once wonderful service. Plenty of money elsewhere in the service though.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (4 Weeks Ago)
  #37  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
DanH56's Avatar
DanH56 DanH56 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kenley, Surrey
Posts: 379
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

The issues with NHS admin are always an annoyance - my local doctor's surgery reception will tell you whatever it wants to make sure you don't actually get an appointment!

However, it is not always frustrating and annoying. In 2008 I contracted viral meningitis and my local doctor/hospital/Uncle Tom Cobbley and all were absolutely superb. Several scans and various intravenous drips later I was well on the road to recovery, only days after they had asked my family if there was anything they might want to say to me just in case!

So, the NHS drives me up the wall frequently, but I am truly grateful.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
  #38  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 978
Thanks: 138
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Plenty of money elsewhere in the service though.
Such as sending all mobility aids supplied to home users by the NHS then returned when no longer required, to the tip to be crushed rather than re-issuing them to other users. This includes stainless steel walking frames, Zimmers, wheelchairs and crutches of various types. The reason given is that the cost of disinfecting and cleaning the items makes it not cost effective. This is not fiction, it is fact widely reported in the press and I have seen the piles of shiny gear awaiting destruction for myself.

That being the case, why is it acceptable to borrow a wheel chair or walking frame when visiting outpatients that may have been used a few minutes ago by another visitor ? The wheelchairs used to transport patients between wards etc. certainly are not cleaned and disinfected after each use. We all touch surfaces that may contain germs or bacteria every day of our lives but the NHS Gurus feel it acceptable to scrap millions of pounds worth of equipment on the grounds that, if it was reissued, it must be cleaned and disinfected before use. Surely a quick spray and wipe with an anti bacterial agent would be sufficient. Just another case of political correctness, health & safety, beaurocracy etc. taking precedent over common sense.


Jax
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
  #39  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Keith-369 Keith-369 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North West England
Posts: 1,997
Thanks: 113
Thanked 223 Times in 202 Posts
Likes: 1,079
Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Such as sending all mobility aids supplied to home users by the NHS then returned when no longer required, to the tip to be crushed rather than re-issuing them to other users. This includes stainless steel walking frames, Zimmers, wheelchairs and crutches of various types. The reason given is that the cost of disinfecting and cleaning the items makes it not cost effective. This is not fiction, it is fact widely reported in the press and I have seen the piles of shiny gear awaiting destruction for myself.

That being the case, why is it acceptable to borrow a wheel chair or walking frame when visiting outpatients that may have been used a few minutes ago by another visitor ? The wheelchairs used to transport patients between wards etc. certainly are not cleaned and disinfected after each use. We all touch surfaces that may contain germs or bacteria every day of our lives but the NHS Gurus feel it acceptable to scrap millions of pounds worth of equipment on the grounds that, if it was reissued, it must be cleaned and disinfected before use. Surely a quick spray and wipe with an anti bacterial agent would be sufficient. Just another case of political correctness, health & safety, beaurocracy etc. taking precedent over common sense.


Jax
I totally agree with you regarding Zimmers, walking frames, wheelchairs, crutches and the like.

The problem is that there are many other items which are issued which do have to be cleansed and disinfected, like toilet frames, shower stools and other items for personal use and once a decision is made regarding those items, departments are closed down and nothing gets cleaned or returned for further use.

Before I retired, It was my job to visit people and assess them for equipment needs, ranging from shower stools, bed/chair raisers right through to walk in showers. We always collected, cleaned or had cleaned, and returned equipment back into the system for re-issue .... until we were told that our wonderful government had decided that it wasn't cost efficient to do that any more. We ended up issuing prescriptions for most equipment like perching stools, toilet frames, shower stools etc. etc. etc and when people asked us where they phoned to have them collected after use, we had to tell them that the equipment was theirs to keep ... even if it was issued for only a few weeks whilst they recovered from an operation. Most were shocked at this.

If I remember correctly, higher value equipment like bathlifts were returned for cleaning and re-issue but that's all.

Total madness and waste of money but unfortunately, as the saying goes, the lunatics are running the asylum.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,025
Thanks: 60
Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 359
Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

I’m not convinced NHS procurement is up to the job, certainly if it’s like local government it isn’t. Too many people with no idea of what stuff can be bought for. Too set in their ways buying from a single supplier who might happen to take them out to lunch at Christmas.
Multiply that by every NHS trust and you can see where millions gets widdled away.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,587
Thanks: 471
Thanked 611 Times in 528 Posts
Likes: 2,760
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,085 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Last week, my wife should have collected her repeat prescription (4 years, same pills) but her car was off the road for repair. She then didn't get around to it until this week.

The pharmacist said that it had been collected.

My wife sorted through her stocks of pills and could find no recent ones.

A second visit to the pharmacy revealed that "her details had been wiped off their system"! They were to contact her GP to sort it out. Two days later, she is still waiting for news.
My partner and myself use 'Pharmacy2u' and they get delivered to our door. It works very well for repeat prescriptions.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,025
Thanks: 60
Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 359
Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

I have no idea, but presumably a third party private company making good money (profit) doing just what the NHS should be doing.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Keith-369 Keith-369 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North West England
Posts: 1,997
Thanks: 113
Thanked 223 Times in 202 Posts
Likes: 1,079
Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Iím not convinced NHS procurement is up to the job, certainly if itís like local government it isnít. Too many people with no idea of what stuff can be bought for. Too set in their ways buying from a single supplier who might happen to take them out to lunch at Christmas.
Multiply that by every NHS trust and you can see where millions gets widdled away.
Again, agreed

My job was with the local council. We had chairs, normal office chairs, brought in at great expense and when we said "You can get exactly the same chair at less than half you paid for it at Argos" we were told 'yes, but they are not on our list of approved suppliers'. We even had a department called .... would you believe .... 'Best Value', God knows what they ever did. We got biro pens, black fine point, which were fine until you wrote something and pinned it up. Within a couple of months the ink was fading fast!! I could go on ..... and on .....and ....
Money wasting to the extreme.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,025
Thanks: 60
Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 359
Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Again, agreed

My job was with the local council. We had chairs, normal office chairs, brought in at great expense and when we said "You can get exactly the same chair at less than half you paid for it at Argos" we were told 'yes, but they are not on our list of approved suppliers'. We even had a department called .... would you believe .... 'Best Value', God knows what they ever did. We got biro pens, black fine point, which were fine until you wrote something and pinned it up. Within a couple of months the ink was fading fast!! I could go on ..... and on .....and ....
Money wasting to the extreme.
Yep, this!
Same thing, our lot (procurement dept) entered into a contract with some shysters and twas deemed cheaper to buy office stationery in huge boxes, so 10,000 elastic bands in one box. Said lally bands turned to goo before even 1% of humongous box ever got used. Chucked away. No-one in the dept had any idea what blank CDs cost so weíre sold vastly over priced tat. Shocking really and yes, youíre right about pens, as an example, oddly the procurement manager bought a named brand which was verboten to the rest of the staff. Sickening.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,025
Thanks: 60
Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 359
Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Whoops, forgot. Now you mention it about chairs, that was another rip off we suffered but for us it was the H&S queen who delighted in buying horrendously over priced chairs. Chap visits site, does some black magic trikery with his measuring stick and lo and behold Mavis needs a £600 chair!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wildlife Photography (and all its difficultiesÖ) tenzan Looking for improvement 32 5th April 2015 12:51 PM
Slightly related to Cavity wall insulation marius1002001 The lounge 14 17th January 2015 09:55 PM
Railway related images, Grosmont, North Yorks. Thomas Westhead Foto Fair 8 8th December 2014 10:04 AM
Useful Olympus related utilities shenstone Software 27 9th November 2009 08:27 AM
My random post of the day... music (and Heather) related...:) theMusicMan The lounge 0 29th January 2008 12:26 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:29 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger