Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 31st December 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Photo filenames resetting

Hi. This is my first post.

I bought an EM1II this year after shooting with Nikon for 11 years. Iíd already developed a file naming system where I adjusted the file name prefix to make sure my libraryís contents were alphabetically matched to shot order. Eg. _KN10001 comes before _KN46363 comes before _KN63254. I did this because itís faster to sort large file collections alphabetically in Adobe Bridge.

I continued this trend with the Olympus until the file count mysteriously reset in September. It took a couple of shoots before I noticed, and was a pain to fix in the library. It just happened again this week, and I realised it was because Iím using the shot mode dial custom settings.

It seems that, every time I save updated C1, C2 sets, the file count resets to 00001. Also, the file name prefix is saved as part of the set. So thatís my system screwed.

I guess I can start renaming files on import, but itís a pain. Am I missing something?
Old 31st December 2018

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts
Re: Photo filenames resetting

I think you forgot, when creating the C1, C2 settings, to make sure your file naming settings were correct.

The solution is to load the C1 setting using the menu, set the filename settings as you want, then save the C1 settings. Repeat for C2.
Old 31st December 2018

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,141 Posts

That's interesting info thanks for posting. I'd noticed odd changes of file names occasionally in the past but hadn't worked out why so just put up with it and carried on. Must have a look at this a bit more closely.
Old 31st December 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
I think you forgot, when creating the C1, C2 settings, to make sure your file naming settings were correct.

The solution is to load the C1 setting using the menu, set the filename settings as you want, then save the C1 settings. Repeat for C2.

Only a partial solution. Yes, you should update the filename prefix when you update the C1/2 settings (as the setting is reloaded every time you restart the camera). But, even if you load the existing C1 first before updating and saving, it STILL seems to reset the shot counter to 0001 - which is NOT helpful.
Old 31st December 2018

In that case you have still not set it up right. Try the following.
1. Set the Mode dial to A. Carefully look at all the settings relating to filenames.
2. Set the mode dial to C1. Carefully look at all the settings relating to filenames.
3. Set the mode dial to C2. Carefully look at all the settings relating to filenames.

They all need to be exactly the same.

If they are not identical follow the process I described before until they are.
Old 1st January 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

Be aware that the there is a bit of flexibility regarding file names, in my user manual detailing with the H1 Record//Erase section you have the option of reseting the numeric part of the file name by setting the File Name to
Reset,
or
Auto where the file numbers continue from the last card inserted.

Another very useful option (to me) is the ability to change the leading character of the file name. I increment the Alpha value each year so the file name gives an indication of the year the picture was taken. If I exceed 9999 images in a year then I increment the leading value so as to not cause possible overlap if taking more than 9999 images in a month.

Hope this helps
Old 2nd January 2019

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I feel that we're talking at cross purposes here, so I'm going to break down what I'm doing, just to make sure.

For settings on C1...

'Custom Menu H1: File Name' was set to Auto.
'Custom Menu H1: Edit Filename' was set to the old prefix.

Change to A on mode dial.

'Shooting Menu 1: Reset / Custom Modes',
go to 'Recall from Custom Mode',
select 'Custom Mode C1'.

'Custom Menu H1: Edit Filename' change to the new prefix.
go to 'Assign to Custom Mode',
select 'Custom Mode C1'.

So, the 'Custom Menu H1: File Name' has been set to Auto the whole time. But the numbering (not the prefix bit) has reset to 0001 every time I've updated the C1 (etc) settings using the above procedure, which I believe to be the correct way of doing it?
Old 2nd January 2019

I have set up the camera with the file name number protocol before I define the Custom mode settings for C1, C2 and C3. I do not return to the file name settings ever.

Thankfully the camera can store the customisation settings to a computer so that even if the battery runs down I can recover the camera to my preferred setup.
Old 4th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPhotography View Post
I feel that we're talking at cross purposes here, so I'm going to break down what I'm doing, just to make sure.

For settings on C1...

'Custom Menu H1: File Name' was set to Auto.
'Custom Menu H1: Edit Filename' was set to the old prefix.

Change to A on mode dial.

go to 'Recall from Custom Mode',
select 'Custom Mode C1'.

'Custom Menu H1: Edit Filename' change to the new prefix.
go to 'Assign to Custom Mode',
select 'Custom Mode C1'.

So, the 'Custom Menu H1: File Name' has been set to Auto the whole time. But the numbering (not the prefix bit) has reset to 0001 every time I've updated the C1 (etc) settings using the above procedure, which I believe to be the correct way of doing it?
If you had done what I suggested above you would have been able to see what the problem was, i.e. that some of the filename settings were different to others.

Now you have set the C1 settings and the normal settings but not the C2 or C3 settings. The way you are going about this is always going to be confusing.

Here is a way that will work which is the simplest way I can describe it.

Put in A mode.
Set the filename settings as you want before doing anything with C1 etc.
Now also make what settings you want to C1 and assign to C1.
Now make the changes you want for C2 and assign to C2.
Now make the changes you want for C3 and assign to C3.
Now make the changes you want for your normal use,
That's it.
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
If you had done what I suggested above you would have been able to see what the problem was, i.e. that some of the filename settings were different to others.

Now you have set the C1 settings and the normal settings but not the C2 or C3 settings. The way you are going about this is always going to be confusing.

Here is a way that will work which is the simplest way I can describe it.

Put in A mode.
Set the filename settings as you want before doing anything with C1 etc.
Now also make what settings you want to C1 and assign to C1.
Now make the changes you want for C2 and assign to C2.
Now make the changes you want for C3 and assign to C3.
Now make the changes you want for your normal use,
That's it.

I did do what you suggested, and there weren't any differences.
If you load C1 settings from the menu, while in Aperture mode, the settings are identical anyway.

(I didn't mention C2 & C3 above for brevity, but the same applies.)

I'm trying to stress that no file numbering settings have changed in A or C modes, and yet the camera still reset to 0001 when I saved C1(/2/3). The only setting changed was the filename prefix, which I changed from _KN8 to _KN9, and that was only the third time I have saved C sets.

The method you describe last requires me to remember all the custom changes I have made to defaults, which is not realistic. There are quite a few changes, and I did not write them down. This is why the 'Recall from Custom Mode' action exists.
Old 4th January 2019

Somewhere in the file name section you have the File name set to Reset and not Auto, so search all the settings and correct the File Name value to auto and then Save / update the the custom setting for the C value.

In the previous model of camera we all had to write down our specific settings that we had applied (often in a spread sheet) as we had to reapply the values after an major firmware update or battery in the camera got fully discharged.
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Somewhere in the file name section you have the File name set to Reset and not Auto, so search all the settings and correct the File Name value to auto and then Save / update the the custom setting for the C value.

In the previous model of camera we all had to write down our specific settings that we had applied (often in a spread sheet) as we had to reapply the values after an major firmware update or battery in the camera got fully discharged.
Cross my heart, it's set to Auto, everywhere!
If it wasn't, I wouldn't be posting here.

When I first started using the camera, I realised the default was Reset, so I changed it to Auto within the first few shoots. It's been set to that ever since, and the Custom Modes carry that setting with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to YPhotography For This Useful Post:
Darkroom (4th January 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Darkroom (4th January 2019)
Old 4th January 2019

Are you saying that you have a different filename prefix in the different settings?
If so, that is a problem.
ALL the filename settings should be the same everywhere.
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Are you saying that you have a different filename prefix in the different settings?
If so, that is a problem.
ALL the filename settings should be the same everywhere.
No. All modes have the same setting.
Old 5th January 2019

Copy the camera settings to the computer - just in case you want to return to the current settings.

Then take a note of all your customisations and then flatten the settings in the camera and start again, first of all inserting the base level settings you want to have across all Custom settings and then build up the specific settings for each Custom setting.

Then take a copy of the settings to your computer - just in case....