Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th March 2014

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,495 Posts
Liked 4,386 Times in 1,982 Posts
A weekend that ended in a Tragedy

On our Australian Labour Day long weekend just passed Janette and I took the three hour train trip to Melbourne to visit the 60th anniversary of the Moomba Festival, a spectacular three days annual event commemorating the granting of the eight-hour working day for Australians.

Moomba is an aboriginal word that means, Let's get together and have fun, and I have to say that we did, at least until Monday night when we took the 6:00PM train home to Wangaratta, 270km northeast of Melbourne. Around 9:30PM the train was running some 12 minutes behind schedule as it approached our station and those of us getting off were standing in the aisle when there was a distinct bump that rocked the carriage followed by a violent lurch as the train screeched to a halt that almost sent us sprawling - fortunately I had my arms firmly around Janette's waist from behind.

We actually thought we had reached the platform but the automatic doors remained locked. Only then as we peered through the window into darkness did we realise that there was no platform. About 10 minutes passed before the driver apologised for the delay but that an extremely serious situation had occurred. At this point I guessed correctly that someone had suicided. Twenty minutes later the train was surrounded by paramedics, police and state emergency workers who assisted all passengers off the rear of the train to the ground by means of a portable steel ladder where a number of coaches awaited to ferry people to their various destinations. It stopped first at the station two minutes away where I had left my car in the car park. It was almost 11:00PM by the time we got home to a mug of hot cocoa and a slice of toast.

Sadly in this day and age it is an all too common an event. Many young lives end this way due to unemployment, homelessness and depression, although none are reported. #

Update: The Green Street overpass from which a thirty year old woman leapt into the path of the train we were on.
Wangaratta Station can be seen in the distance, 200 metres away.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 11th March 2014

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts
Re: A weekend that ended in a Tragedy

What a sad event and the family must be devastated to hear their kin have taken their own life.
Old 11th March 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

very sad & a depressing end to what you described as a wonderful trip
Old 11th March 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

So sorry to hear of this sad end to an otherwise happy day. By coincidence I learned today that the young girl (as she was then) who photographed our wedding 20 years ago recently took her own life. It really upset me and had me sobbing, not only out of sorrow for her but also because it brought back memories of a dark time some years ago when I was on the brink myself. I was lucky; I got the help I needed and fast. Others are far less fortunate; also on the news today was a report into the woefully inadequate facilities for young people especially who have serious mental health problems. It sometimes strikes me as odd that money is the one resource that we covet beyond all others, yet it actually has the least real value because it can be printed at will if we so desire.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
dogsbody (12th March 2014), stevewestern (11th March 2014)
Old 11th March 2014

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,197 Times in 1,167 Posts

What a particularly tragic loss of life & upsetting end to the day. It is a particularly difficult thing for a family to come to terms with a loss of a family member in these circumstances. My neighbour had to go through that ordeal not many years ago with the loss of one of their daughters.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (11th March 2014)
Old 11th March 2014
Floribunda

How terrible Mark. I am so sorry that this sad event occurred at the end of your happy time away.
It is happening all too often with our young folk and we are seeing more and more homeless people on our streets. This should not be the case in our affluent society.
Zuiko (11th March 2014)
Old 12th March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansky View Post
What a sad event and the family must be devastated to hear their kin have taken their own life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
very sad & a depressing end to what you described as a wonderful trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
So sorry to hear of this sad end to an otherwise happy day. By coincidence I learned today that the young girl (as she was then) who photographed our wedding 20 years ago recently took her own life. It really upset me and had me sobbing, not only out of sorrow for her but also because it brought back memories of a dark time some years ago when I was on the brink myself. I was lucky; I got the help I needed and fast. Others are far less fortunate; also on the news today was a report into the woefully inadequate facilities for young people especially who have serious mental health problems. It sometimes strikes me as odd that money is the one resource that we covet beyond all others, yet it actually has the least real value because it can be printed at will if we so desire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
What a particularly tragic loss of life & upsetting end to the day. It is a particularly difficult thing for a family to come to terms with a loss of a family member in these circumstances. My neighbour had to go through that ordeal not many years ago with the loss of one of their daughters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
How terrible Mark. I am so sorry that this sad event occurred at the end of your happy time away.
It is happening all too often with our young folk and we are seeing more and more homeless people on our streets. This should not be the case in our affluent society.
Thanks to all for your expressions of sadness which I know would be shared be anyone hearing of the way in which a young woman ended her life last Monday night. I have no more details other than what has been circulating about town this morning.

John (Zuiko), so sorry to hear of the unhappy coincidence of your wedding photographer also having recently taken her life and the memories it evoked. Interesting that on your news today was a report on facilities for young people with mental health issues as there is a similar conversation happening here. One aspect in particular is at last being questioned, that is the non-publication and secrecy surrounding a suicide. It is an event so serious that it's time we stopped hiding it and bring it out into the open for public discussion as to what can be done to dramatically reduce if not prevent it happening altogether.

Ross and Lyn, Sorry to hear of your neighbour's loss also. When we hear of these events I think the pain is felt by our society at large, regardless of whether we know the victim or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to pandora For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (12th March 2014)
Zuiko (12th March 2014)
Old 12th March 2014

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Yes, not good news Mark.
People need to remember the driver of the train, a horrible experience for them too.
Old 12th March 2014

Yes Dave, so true, and with most of our sympathies focused upon the victims and their families, the driver's trauma is easily overlooked.

Old 12th March 2014

Liked 740 Times in 494 Posts

A terrible end to the day. It is too late for sympathy for the woman, but her family may be suffering terribly. And as Dave says, it is extremely traumatic for the train driver - I believe it has affected some drivers so badly that it ended their careers.

John
Old 12th March 2014

I can believe that, John. There have been a number of cases here in which some people have suicided by driving headlong into an oncoming semi-trailer, and the semi drivers never recover from the trauma.

Old 12th March 2014

Thanked 1,131 Times in 707 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

A very sad end to a trip that should have had only happy memories. Like a stone tossed into a pool, the ripples will spread far and wide as everyone on the train will have been affected. There's not much one can do after the event, but it does make one wonder what could have been done earlier to have prevented such a tragedy?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 12th March 2014

"Like ripples", a very apt simile, Wally.
One can only speculate upon what situation she was in that drove her to it.

Old 21st March 2014

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

So Sad all round...I was shocked to hear this is happening in Australia....I thought we had a monopoly on miss treatment of the young and the ones with mental problems.

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 21st March 2014

I daresay the issue is global, Keith. For all forms of life on Earth, survival is a serious business - if your fellow man or a wild tiger don't getcha then some poxy disease probably will.