Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 19th November 2012

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Sensor upgrade?

I built the PC I'm currently using in 2008 but I've upgraded most of the components, CPU, memory, video card and hard drives over the years because the motherboard was very expensive and designed to be futureproof within reason and is only just starting to show its age.

Therefore why is it not possible to upgrade the image sensor in a DSLR?
I appreciate that a camera manufacturer would prefer to sell whole bodies instead of sensors but is it an impossible task?
The new OM-D5 reportedly has a better sensor than the E-5. Is the physical design of the OM-D5 sensor so different that it cannot be fitted into the chassis of the E-5 and suitable firmware applied?
Why can't a new upgraded sensor be produced and fitted?

I detest this apparent planned obsolescence built into photographic equipment and the expectation of the manufacturer that people will just shell out for the latest model.

There is probably a very logical answer to this and I'd be intrigued to know what it is.
Cheers

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
The Following User Says Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:
IainMacD (19th November 2012)
Old 19th November 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Sensor upgrade?

Because DSLRs are SMALL, and anyway the first few (or more) years of the PC's existence they were definitely NOT user-upgradeable and repair parts were very expensive anyway.
They have matured into their present modular form due to customer pressure and the DIY-competent gamer market.
Cameras might not ever get that way ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulfric M Douglas For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (19th November 2012)
Old 19th November 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Ulfric's quite right, size matters.

I recall recently seeing a picture of the first digital camera invented by Kodak. It was about the size of a PC and modular but not very practical for taking photographs.

"Planned obsolescence" is of course a term used to imply that manufacturers deliberately make a product to be non repairable when it in fact could be. I don't believe this is the case with digital cameras. They are not only complex electronic devices but also still precision mechanical instruments and we users are very concerned about form/size/weight etc. With the huge R&D etc. costs involved the only way a manufacture can operate successfully is to sell more cameras.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Last edited by PeterBirder; 19th November 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: More thoughts.
Old 19th November 2012

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

If You want a sensor upgradeable camera you have to go for a digital Hassalblad or Phase one 645 modular back system but then you could by a couple of new cars for the price of one.

Dave
PeterBirder (19th November 2012)