Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 25th August 2012
Alpha1

Another new OMD owner

In anticipation of getting my OMD I had already registered on the forum, so hello to everyone. Yesterday pm I received a call from my local LCE branch to say that they had just taken delivery of one all black OMD with 12-50 kit lens if I was interested.

Of course one look and I was very interested! They had previously agreed to take some other gear including my Fuji X100 kit in Px. So here we are, batteries (yes they were able to sell me a spare!) all charged, settings all done and hopefully menu's all sorted to give me the shooting style that I am used to with my FF and APS-c DSLR's.

One thing though, I noted that the camera firmware is 1.2 and the lens is 1.1. Are these the latest firmware up dates? If so, I read here that some have experienced difficulty with firmware 1.2 yet that is how the camera was delivered!

I am hoping after a thorough evaluation that this camera might replace my DSLR's as I am finding it getting more difficult lugging around heavy cameras and lenses, especially when photographing wildlife, which is my favourite "thing".
Old 25th August 2012

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Another new OMD owner

Hi there and welcome to the forum. An excellent choice of camera if I may say so...

V1.2 is kinda current.I updated mine to 1.2 but then it was withdrawn from the Oly website, however I have seen no problems nor have I heard of any.

Get snapping, and pop some results up on the free gallery here..

All the best

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 25th August 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Hi and welcome.

As Pete says, 1.2 is current and is shipping with new cameras, but due to some (minority) having difficulty following instructions, Olympus have strangely withdrawn it from public release. I know of no-one who is experiencing any problems. And 1.1 is current for the lens, so no worries there.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 25th August 2012

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Hello and welcome. I think the OM-D has attracted a lot of new users to the Olympus fold. Like you I bought a OM-D to replace my DSLR gear and have now burned my boats by selling off my Pentax K-5 and lenses.

I am sure that you will enjoy your new camera.
Old 25th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Hi Alpha1 and welcome. I've just bought a new (well, secondhand actually) E-M5 too. Just been finding my way around it so far but hopefully will get to use it properly tomorrow. I think the issue with v1.2 was more related to download problems rather than the firmware itself. If you have it already installed then that' a good thing.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th August 2012

Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts

Hi Alpha1! Like you, I am a new OMD owner, and have also just joined this forum, and thank goodness I did, because I have already had some good advice from the good people on here!!
Enjoy the camera, and forum!
Old 26th August 2012
Alpha1

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome to the forum. I know that I am going to enjoy it here! The sun is shining here to today, so off out for a walk with my new toy.