Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 15th August 2019

Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
I'm conflicted!

Well it's a long time since I owned an Olympus, having since used the Panny GH2 and the Fuji XT1. I'm wondering whether to return!

The Fuji is a lovely camera and gives stunning images, but as I age I find that whilst the body is OK, the lenses are becoming that bit too unwieldy. I still use the GH2, and it's handy for the occasional video, which the XT1 is rather limited for. What I've always particularly like about the GH2 is it's compact size and it's comfortable in my hand. All later models have grown in size, otherwise I think I might have upgraded. But I've been thinking about a replacement for the GH2, and I'm thinking once again of the Olympus offerings. And of course, MFT lenses are pretty compact.

The EM1 Mk2 is bigger than I want, although it has a decent grip. Expensive as well. The EM5 Mk2 (and yes, I know it's successor must be waiting in the wings!) is about the same size as the GH2, but it has no grip to speak of. OK, there are a number of Oly and third party grips available, but of course they all add to the weight and size, so we are beginning to approach the EM1.

I plan on using the 12-40 Pro and the 35-100 Lumix. Anyone have any comments on how usable the EM5 Mk2 is without a grip attached? I suppose the easy response is "go and try one", but I don't live particularly near to the main (any?) dealers, and then the question is "are the cameras and grips in stock?"

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 15th August 2019

Liked 131 Times in 58 Posts
Re: I'm conflicted!

Where in Oxon are you?

If you'd like to meet up around Otmoor, Gallows Bridge, etc., area.,I'd be happyto bring my EM1 mk2 and EM5 mk 2 (I have the grip), etc.
Old 15th August 2019

That's a kind offer thank you David. I live near Abingdon, but I wouldn't be available for a couple of weeks at least, what with looking after our two grandsons during the hols! Perhaps I'll see how the ground lies nearer a possible time?

Old 15th August 2019

Liked 451 Times in 119 Posts

I have the 5mkii with 12-40 and would say it's definitely usable without a grip.... But.... It's significantly better with the grip. It doesn't add much weight or bulk either (just grip not a battery grip)

On the other hand, when I had a 10mkii, I would say that it definitley needed a grip with the 12-40, and didn't feel comfortable at all without. Although as most of shooting is on a tripod I could have managed I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
Rawcoll (15th August 2019)
Old 15th August 2019

Thank you Chris. When you say it's significantly better with the grip, are you talking of the HLD-8G (less battery pack), or the basic ECG-2 which allows one to easily change the battery when it's attached? Doesn't the HLD-8G add significant weight, and certainly does size?

cheers,

Old 15th August 2019

Liked 741 Times in 494 Posts

I'm not sure how different the Mark II is from the Mark I in terms of size and weight, but it ought to be possible to find one pretty cheap nowadays. Of course you won't get the newer bells and whistles but it's still a lovely camera and could give you an idea of the feel for a fairly small outlay.

John
Old 15th August 2019

E-M1 or E-M5? The M1 would be too large for what I want. Ah, or are you saying find a cheap E-M5 mk1 and test-drive it?

Edit. Just looked at those sold through the usual outlets and they cost enough to buy a grip anyway

Old 15th August 2019

Liked 451 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
Thank you Chris. When you say it's significantly better with the grip, are you talking of the HLD-8G (less battery pack), or the basic ECG-2 which allows one to easily change the battery when it's attached? Doesn't the HLD-8G add significant weight, and certainly does size?

cheers,

Yes it's the hld-8g without the battery section. It obviously adds the bulk of the hand grip, with the benefit of a working button/dial, but only adds about 1cm to the height of the body. Weight wise, I don't know exact grams but it's too too much at all.

I've just taken the grip off the body, and tried it with the 12-40mm, yes it is usable, but I'm not sure i'd want to use it for long like that. It's just no way near as comfortable, and I think I'd end up with achey fingers if I used it all day like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
Rawcoll (15th August 2019)
Old 15th August 2019

Liked 741 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
E-M1 or E-M5? The M1 would be too large for what I want. Ah, or are you saying find a cheap E-M5 mk1 and test-drive it?

Edit. Just looked at those sold through the usual outlets and they cost enough to buy a grip anyway
Yes - sorry if that wasn't clear.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Rawcoll (16th August 2019)
Old 16th August 2019

Checking still further, it does seem that an E-M5 Mk2 body with an added HLD-8G is not far short of the size of the EM1-mk2, and probably not far short in weight either. Actually, the E-M1 is not much larger in size than the GH2 either, only about 10mm wider, though ~130g heavier. But currently around 500 more expensive than the E-M5 Mk2* . I wonder what price the E-M5 Mk3 will be launched at though?

*Edit. But is that with the E-M1 on offer?

Old 22nd August 2019

Well, thank you to those who responded to my plea, and if anyone is interested in the outcome of this decision-making process, this is how it panned out.

As much as I tried to love the EM5ii, despite its excellent specification, I couldn't quite come to terms with the need to purchase accessories in order to make it a more 'user-friendly' instrument, not to mention the added cost. I'm sure that in the right hands, and more especially, with the right lenses, it is the perfect camera, as I'm sure members will testify. To my mind, a camera where a nostalgic form rather than function has predominated in the design process (shall I get my coat now? ). Now if the EM5 had been in an EM1 form, with a lesser specification, I'd probably have gone for it.

In the end I acquired a Lumix G80, very similar to my old GH2, and with specs on par with the EM5ii, including IBIS, for around half the price of the EM1 and less expensive than the EM5ii. Perfectly adequate, I think, for my current level of photography. So I shall not be returning to the Olympus brethren, though will continue to keep a watching brief via this forum.

Old 23rd August 2019

Liked 705 Times in 374 Posts

It's ok with any choice you make. As long as you are comfortable.

You are most welcome to join this forum https://fourthirds-user.com/forum/ it's all fourthird and since that panny is a fourthird camera.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
Rawcoll (23rd August 2019)
Old 23rd August 2019

Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts

Good choice, I have the G80 and EM1MK11, if i didn't want to do BIF not sure i could justify the EM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mik For This Useful Post:
Rawcoll (23rd August 2019)
Old 23rd August 2019

Thanks mik. Nice to hear it isn't a solitary choice