Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 20th June 2019

Liked 3,809 Times in 1,761 Posts
Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

I used to write BASIC code for survey programmes. Fairly straightforward mathematical stuff.

It all worked when I coded it, but what continually surprised me was how the others on the survey team used the software. My coding could not imagine their ways of inputting data etc...……….

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
steverh (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
500 lines without bugs - dream on. I'd put it at fewer than 50 lines. Maybe 5 for the incompetents. But so what? Software dev is about an engineering practice that extends beyond coding. It's patently true that developing successful software is not just possible, but is evidenced by pretty well everything you touch in everyday life. Sure there are the occasional bugs that creep into production - but that's true of any human endeavour. In the camera world, we don't need to look far to find hardware bugs - the Nikon D600 oily shutter springs immediately to mind.

As to firmware, I don't see the need to split hairs here. It's clear that it applies to the software that's installed in the solid state memory of the camera and that the software matters enormously to the features, performance and usability of those cameras. That's all that matters. I don't do BIF either, but many do and the software makes a huge difference to the ease of doing it. I see no problem with that at all.
Firmware refer to code used to configure an uncommitted logic array, eg the FPGA. Software refers to the stored machine code to be executed by a computer. That's why the word 'FIRMware' was coined. Simple isn't it!

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
pdk42 (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 1,587 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Firmware refer to code used to configure an uncommitted logic array, eg the FPGA. Software refers to the stored machine code to be executed by a computer. That's why the word 'FIRMware' was coined. Simple isn't it!
I wish it were that simple these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

My Flickr
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
I do this a lot shooting motorsport tbh. I like slow shutter pans and when you're down at circa 1/25 you need ISO 64 to keep the aperture wide enough to prevent diffraction, and also 'hide' the fencing if you're at a track with a lot of catch fencing, and that's even with ND filters
Good point. Perhaps this is why the default is Drive Priority, which is what you need.
We need some examples with both settings.
snerkler (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 612 Times in 166 Posts

Used Oly camera updater & all went well.Much tighter C-AF with new mods,very noticeable on C-AF all points, as it goes into 9point centre priority which is good for BIF.The AF-MF auto very useful for me. Still cant use C-AF on pro-capture or low sequence in this mode using P/L 100/400lens which is disappointing. Battery life to be checked first full day shoot.
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 387 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
Good point. Perhaps this is why the default is Drive Priority, which is what you need.
We need some examples with both settings.
I've still not looked into it yet tbh, I've still not looked to find the setting

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Russ View Post
Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.
I pulled this from another forum when I first got my mkii. Hope it helps - at least as a starting point:

Custom Menu/gears, Menu AF/MF, AEL/AFL, C-AF to Mode 4 - makes the AEL/AFL button for focusing and not the shutter button

Custom Menu/gears, Menu C Release, Rls Priority C - On - this allows the shutter to release even if focus is not locked

Custom Menu/gears, Menu C Release, Rls with IS - On - IS turns on when the shutter button is pressed halfway

USE: Press and hold the AEL/AFL button while following your subject, press the shutter button to take the shot you want (C-AF)
or
Press and hold the AEL/AFL button until focused is locked, and then release it. Fire away until you need to change focus. (S-AF)
The Following User Says Thank You to TravelingChick For This Useful Post:
Dennis Russ (22nd June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

One oddity with the update... at least I hadn't noticed it before... I use the rear screen to show the super control panel, and today I realised that it was saying Y/M/D at the top left. Sure enough I needed to reset the time and date in the menu to correct this. Presumably the update post the previous settings as I haven't let the battery run down.

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 20th June 2019

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
One oddity with the update... at least I hadn't noticed it before... I use the rear screen to show the super control panel, and today I realised that it was saying Y/M/D at the top left. Sure enough I needed to reset the time and date in the menu to correct this. Presumably the update post the previous settings as I haven't let the battery run down.

Chris
At least it didn’t change it to that weird M/D/Y.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
snerkler (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Steve - words mean what most people agree them to mean. There's no prizes for sticking to a definition that no-one else shares. Every single reference I can find on the internet defines firmware as software. Your definition does not fit a definition that the rest of the world would accept.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
raichea (21st June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 1,423 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
At least it didn’t change it to that weird M/D/Y.
Agree, that format is a bit strange and more subject for error/misintepretation. ISO format YYYY-MM-DD cannot be misread.

My Gallery on 500px
Ross the fiddler (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 1,789 Times in 662 Posts

Well I've spent the afternoon trying out the new firmware (rather than worrying whether it's embedded software or not) and although I've not got much to show for it - I took some deliberately ropey photos to push into the areas the MKi would have failed and the previous firmware would have struggled.

I think my view* is that the photos are coming out of the camera as RAW files a little sharper and I believe that once the camera has got a focus lock it is somehow more accurate, I'm getting less soft focus issues, I'm not 100% sure but although it's not mentioned the stabilisation may be a tadge better too, I seem to have got less motion blur on still photos, not sure whether that's the more accurate focussing or my imagination!

Noise definitely is better with the new firmware, so there must be some post processing going on in the camera before the RAW file is written - my brother got quite irate about the fact that the lens correction is done like this rather than being done in post process "it's NOT a genuine RAW file then" - I shrugged as I'm happy with the output and it really isn't important to me where the processing is done.

I'll do a reply to myself with some sample images on so you can judge for yourself.

*a bit vague as it's subject to change!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
TravelingChick (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

I deliberately got some tall grass in the way here and the camera stayed with the birds past it.

A shot the MKi would never have got as there's too much background going on, the camera seems to have locked on quite well.

I tried my best to keep the bird off centre towards the edge of the focus area (5*5 set) and it seems to have got the closest part of the bird each time, so another tick

Some Olympus stuff
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Noise definitely is better with the new firmware, so there must be some post processing going on in the camera before the RAW file is written - my brother got quite irate about the fact that the lens correction is done like this rather than being done in post process "it's NOT a genuine RAW file then" - I shrugged as I'm happy with the output and it really isn't important to me where the processing is done.
You can explain to your brother that lens correction to RAW files is NOT done in the camera, the RAW files really are RAW. I can understand why he jumped to the conclusion that it is done in the camera, but it isn't.

The explanation is as follows.
1. The M43 standard specifies that the lenses should contain a chip with data about themselves. This includes what the lens is, and importantly what the lens corrections should be, including barrel distortion and vignetting. The standard also mandates that all M43 cameras and post processing programs must read that data and apply it completely automatically.

2. That data from the chip in the lens is stored in the RAW file when the camera writes it.

3. All M43 cameras also use the data, so JPGs in the camera are corrected.

4. All good post proccessing programs do it too. For example Lightroom, and ACR in Photoshop do it, and it isn't an option, it just happens. If you specify lens corrections in those programs, those will be done in addition to the automatic corrections.

5. There is some software that deliberately does not do the automatic corrections, allowing some people to do exactly what they want. If you use it to take a file, such as from the Oly 7-14 Pro used at 7mm, you will then see lots of barrel distortion, showing that the RAW file really is raw. But if you look at that RAW file in Lightroom, or Photoshop, setting no adjustments, you will see it undistorted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
Tordan58 (20th June 2019), Walti (20th June 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (21st June 2019), drmarkf (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
You can explain to your brother that lens correction to RAW files is NOT done in the camera, the RAW files really are RAW. I can understand why he jumped to the conclusion that it is done in the camera, but it isn't.

The explanation is as follows.
1. The M43 standard specifies that the lenses should contain a chip with data about themselves. This includes what the lens is, and importantly what the lens corrections should be, including barrel distortion and vignetting. The standard also mandates that all M43 cameras and post processing programs must read that data and apply it completely automatically.

2. That data from the chip in the lens is stored in the RAW file when the camera writes it.

3. All M43 cameras also use the data, so JPGs in the camera are corrected.

4. All good post proccessing programs do it too. For example Lightroom, and ACR in Photoshop do it, and it isn't an option, it just happens. If you specify lens corrections in those programs, those will be done in addition to the automatic corrections.

5. There is some software that deliberately does not do the automatic corrections, allowing some people to do exactly what they want. If you use it to take a file, such as from the Oly 7-14 Pro used at 7mm, you will then see lots of barrel distortion, showing that the RAW file really is raw. But if you look at that RAW file in Lightroom, or Photoshop, setting no adjustments, you will see it undistorted.
Ah! The fog is starting to lift Thanks for that I'd wondered how people were able to comment on the "poor quality of M4/3 lenses which MUST HVAE software correction - unlike a 'proper lens'" I always assumed it was all done in camera as that was the easiest place to do it...

I wonder how they've improved the noise output.

Some Olympus stuff