Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 6th June 2019
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Affinity Photo 1.7 beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I was considering Affinty to go with my nice new Windows 10 machine as I was expecting my old copy of Elements 10 not to work but it does.

I'm interested if anyone has got Affinty to work with Nik collection plugins?

I may stick with Elements 10 as it does all I need but at 38.00 for Affinty it's a bit of a steal.
Affinity works with Nik plugins. It's a bit of a faff to install them, but see here:
https://lenscraft.co.uk/nik-collecti...ffinity-photo/

There are a couple of issues.

1. Viveza has weird colour space problems. It only shows the correct colours at certain magnifications. This is a bug in AP which has not been fixed in the new version 1.70. Viveza is a real oddball compared to the other Nik plugins and definitely not of the same standard. I think you could do everything you want and more in Color Efex Pro 4.

2. The plugin will sometimes not reflect the source image, for instance portrait shots may be rotated or cropping not respected. The cure is simple - right-click on the "source" layer and click Rasterise.

With the current 20% off sale it's definitely a steal. A huge improvement on Elements in every way.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 6th June 2019
Codger

My copy of Affinity Photo is also updated to the release version of 1.7.

Performance is definitely improved, and raw files seem to load faster. It does not have lens corrections for the 12-100 F4 Pro, which is a pain but otherwise raw processing seems to be very good.

There a stack of changes which I will work through gradually!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 6th June 2019

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I was considering Affinty to go with my nice new Windows 10 machine as I was expecting my old copy of Elements 10 not to work but it does.

I'm interested if anyone has got Affinty to work with Nik collection plugins?

I may stick with Elements 10 as it does all I need but at 38.00 for Affinty it's a bit of a steal.
Chris P Williams has a tutorial on YouTube for matching Nik to Affinity. Hes a Brit!

David
Old 6th June 2019

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Chris P Williams has a tutorial on YouTube for matching Nik to Affinity. Hes a Brit!

David
I followed thd official AP YouTube video to install the Nik Collection. It went fine.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th June 2019
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I followed thd official AP YouTube video to install the Nik Collection. It went fine.
I wondered if that might be out of date now, it has been around quite a while, but obviously not

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Old 7th June 2019

I'm a big fan of Affinity but have to say that since the 'upgrade' to version 1.7, certain tasks such as selection refinement run much more slowly than previously, difficult to be exact but I'd say five times longer when refining a small part of a selection. That's disappointing and I hope that this can be resolved soon.

David
Old 7th June 2019
Codger

One issue with Affinity Photo is that there is no lens correction support for the wonderful 12-100 F4 Pro lens "out of the box".

However, there is a new tutorial about adding lens profiles - https://youtu.be/ahBF2_On_rA

Essentially, IT WORKS! The trick is to locate the file called mil-olympus.xml in the zip and drop it into the correct folder, as shown in the video. That is for a Mac. On my Windows system the folder that opens when you click the "Open Lens Profile Folder in Explorer..." button is called C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\LensProfiles. Drop the xml file in that folder, restart Affinity, load your raw file and bingo!

If anyone is having problems, PM me and I can email you the xml file.

It adds support for a number of the newer Olympus lenses. If you use Panny lenses, drop mil-panasonic.xml in the folder as well. And misc.xml has the Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 which I also have.
EDIT: I haven't worked out how to use the Laowa correction data yet!

Old 8th June 2019

Liked 704 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
It adds support for a number of the newer Olympus lenses. If you use Panny lenses, drop mil-panasonic.xml in the folder as well. And misc.xml has the Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 which I also have.
EDIT: I haven't worked out how to use the Laowa correction data yet!
I want to know too. Those ae manual lenses and there is no embedded date to let the Affinity know what to apply. I have that Samyang FE and now a Laowa and would like to know too.

All my garbage so far.
Old 8th June 2019

Liked 704 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
I'm a big fan of Affinity but have to say that since the 'upgrade' to version 1.7, certain tasks such as selection refinement run much more slowly than previously, difficult to be exact but I'd say five times longer when refining a small part of a selection. That's disappointing and I hope that this can be resolved soon.

David
I feel your pain. It like a conspiracy,,these software companies just seem to slow down old systems hence we have to buy new hardware to use those "better" software.

All my garbage so far.
Old 20th June 2019

Affinity Photo has launched version 1.7.1. Something flashed by as I was working on an image so it seems to have happened automatically. The speed problem is much better and the Nik Collection now seems to work fine after a blip after the upgrade from 1.6. Now that is resolved I don't see any need to pay for the new version 2.0 from DXO.

David