Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 17th June 2018

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Re: BLH-1 Aftermarket battery funnies.

I agree although I have been a user of third party batteries in the past. I was going to get some ExPros for my new EM1.2 due to the cost differential. When I saw someone selling up his Oly gear I bought one of his mk2 batteries. Much cheaper than new and I now have two which will be fine for me as the BLH1 batteries last a lot longer than those for my mk1 and Pen F.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 17th June 2018

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
My experience is quite different. I found the ExPro batteries for my Mk I E-M1 have perhaps slightly lower capacity (10%? - not actually measured, but my feeling is that they are about that) but actually perform as well as OEM in general.
Try over 20% less capacity, actually measured. Additionally, the internal self discharge is higher. As this is the MK-II forum I won't comment further here but attached my graph showing the results. To be fair to EXPro their BLH-1, while not meeting their own capacity specifications by a fair bit, is actually quite a good pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLN-1-Clone-Tests.jpg (115.8 KB, 7 views)

Loves photography but so little time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jima For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (17th June 2018), raichea (17th June 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
raichea (17th June 2018)
Old 17th June 2018

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts

Maybe I should post a thread asking if anyone has a genuine Olympus battery they may want to sell then..
For simplicity I'd prefer to use just one charger, and I can get an ex pro charger with 2 batteries for less than the cost of one olympus battery, so could just keep the original as a spare and use the ex pro's, or buy Your unwanted genuine one..
Old 17th June 2018

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewestern View Post
Maybe I should post a thread asking if anyone has a genuine Olympus battery they may want to sell then..
For simplicity I'd prefer to use just one charger, and I can get an ex pro charger with 2 batteries for less than the cost of one olympus battery, so could just keep the original as a spare and use the ex pro's, or buy Your unwanted genuine one..
Yes, that would work, except that these types of battery deteriorate over time whether used or not so you may as well cycle your Olympus battery anyway to no detriment.

Loves photography but so little time