Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 30th August 2017

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tripods and monopods

What do folks think re the D E M1 with a monopod and possible shutter speeds?
Old 30th August 2017

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Tripods and monopods

I am going to buy a tripod. It has to be liught. I like long walks and hills, but my back plays up if I carry too much weight and I always have about 2-3kg already plus water etc.

I am thinking something 1-1.6kg max, or it won't get further than 300 yds from the car park.

I have my eye on a Rollei c5i with T2S head. I have considered many others - Sirui, Beno Travel Angel, Fotopro X4i, Manfrotto Befree, Zomei - the Vanguard 263 looks fab but too heavy.

The Rollei coverts to a monopd too and I'm wondering if often that may be enough. How much of a longer shutter speed can that do with a monopod and say a 12-40 or 70-300 lens?
Old 30th August 2017

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Suggest you also look at the MeFoto Backpacker Air. It weighs 0.9kg and supports 4kg. The twist locks are effective. The link is: http://www.mefoto.com/uk/products/backpacker-air.aspx

It suits my needs, but may not suit yours. Good luck!

Andrew
Old 31st August 2017

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

A few years since, I was wandering around Chatsworth when I came across a young lady with the strangest tripod I had ever seen taken botanical pictures. It was Heather Angel and the pod was a Benbo. They will go anywhere and ideal for botanical work. I eventually got a smaller version which U use mainly. I did buy a fibre glass Giottos in a sale one Christmas which is very handy and weighs very little but the Benbo is the one I mainly use for close up and macro at home.
Mind you, with the Pen F its quite amazing how slow you can get away with.
Old 31st August 2017

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
A few years since, I was wandering around Chatsworth when I came across a young lady with the strangest tripod I had ever seen taken botanical pictures. It was Heather Angel and the pod was a Benbo. They will go anywhere and ideal for botanical work. I eventually got a smaller version which U use mainly.
Unilocs are the same sort of design, but more versatile and don't suffer from 'Benbo Creep'. I've got one, but it's a big heavy beast, so I don't use it much. I also had the smaller Uniloc 1700, but again didn't use it much, so sold it.

Jim

Tags
uestions: