Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 27th December 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help with onboard flash

Hi all, is there anyway to get better results with the onboard flash? Indoor scenes are usually underexposed. With portraits my subjects can be exposed ok but the background is too dark.
Old 27th December 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts
Re: Help with onboard flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
Hi all, is there anyway to get better results with the onboard flash? Indoor scenes are usually underexposed.
The "onboard" flash is only a GN 8.2 (ISO 200) unit, which is not really powerful enough to use as the only light source in a big room.

However, The GN is a value that is a function of Distance, Aperture & ISO setting, so for a fixed distance using a wider aperture and higher ISO the amount of light from the flash will be captured more effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
With portraits my subjects can be exposed ok but the background is too dark.
With flash a subject that is closest will always be brighter as the light intensity falls of dramatically as distance increases. The background 4m away will only receive a quarter of the light intensity than the person 2m away (inverse square law)

Flash lighting requires more techniques to be learned, but the process of discovery and successful results make it very rewarding.

Have fun.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (28th December 2016)
Old 27th December 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Help with onboard flash

Thank you Graham for your input. I usually leave iso set to auto and after looking at the exif of recent shots I can see my EM10 tends to use low iso values when flash is used. Next time I'm using flash indoors I'll try manually selecting a higher iso value.
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (28th December 2016)