Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 15th December 2008
gno

Re: Crop & Edit This Picture

High Pass filter, adjust Threshold on layered images delete unwanted detail and merge down.

Regards

Gavin
Old 15th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"The Arrival"

Copy and paste into editing software. (I used Photofiltre)
Rotate 90 degrees.
Enlarge, select outline of figure and increase contrast several clicks.
Back to normal size, desaturate twice to mono.
Add mid-grey -> white gradient - top to bottom then right to left.
Crop and save.

Thanks Graham
Old 16th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
Lot of work, Paul - but worth it! Nice one.
Thanks for the comment it's nice to know I'm going in the right direction at last. Surprisingly it didn't really take that long, The patch tool (forgot to mention that above) sorted the bulk of the sky replacement. Touching it up with the clone stamp and healing brush was the longest part but no more than 5 mins - I think someone who really knows what they were doing would have done a much better job of it in that time too. I have to thank you for that LAB saturation trick you mentioned in the Bring back the sparkle thread, I saved a mild version of it as an action the night I read that and have been trying it out on alot of photos since - the train one above included, it seems to produce a much nicer result than simply pushing up the saturation and or vibrance in alot of photos the rest of the alterations were hardly any more than one click alterations once the rough selections of sky and foreground had been made

Anyway don't want to hijack the thread with too much of my nonsense so better get it back on track ... I played around a little more and decided to try out the Nik Silver Efex plugin - same image as in my last effort but simply with a default application of the Antique Plate 1 and some more local contrast too.
Old 16th December 2008
Fluffy

That, Paul, is spectacular.

Steve