Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th June 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Retirement move ?

It looks as if the "Developers" are going to build 4 homes here and so we are home hunting.

The big dilemma is, shall we stay around here ? Well, we already get past children and their Parents "stopping by" - nice, but we are always deeply engrossed in doing things at weekends - as we work in the week (Nick is re fitting the Super Moto Home).

Our Friends live all over the Country now - many in Scotland ; North Wales and Northumberland (many of my past colleagues are in the USA ; New Zealand and Asia (the internet is wonderful for being 'in touch'- not least because they have found peace and low house prices. We see a few from time to time, in a year. Yet, we have London friends, who have moved to Hampshire, mainly in the New Forest - many of whom we just have not got to meet up, now they are soo close !

Our Family, well they are all at leat an hours drive away, the grandchildren are now grown up - over 9 years - and the children and their paarents are "very busy" at weekends and working hard in the week ... which is a euphanism for "your not important enough and it would take an hour to drive down, an hour visiting and another hour getting home - that's half a day of the weekend .... " My heart bleeds lumpy custard ... I'll not go there ... but we KNOW we cannot change such a mindset ...

We do not seem to need or want much in the way of visitors. Each of us has many leisure pursuits and there are always so many things to do, but it is nice to just "Relax".

I really want to move to the Seaside I would like to be close to a Beach to walk my dog and I love ambling along looking for seashells. However, Nick spent 45 years from being born on Hayling Island, living by the sea.

We are considering Bideford, North Devon - we are off for a weekend there, to research Residential areas ...

Should we stay round here ?

Is it a good idea to completely relocate ?

Lucky we have about 18 months while the planning goes in and through
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Retirement move ?

We have relocated - four times - to areas outside our "native" homeland. True friends will be friends no matter where you live. Go where you want to go, not need to go. At our age, we deserve it!

(A word of advice: keep your future needs at the back of your minds. A remote location is fine - now. But what about nipping to the shops in ten years time, when it's snowy/peeing down/miserable, and you're not as mobile as you used to be and the nearest shops are 10 miles away - or more?)

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 17th June 2013

Stephen, good points ! I fancy living in a "community" although I did find an Ex Gospel Chapel ... and it was miles from anyone - Nick was ing

My friend said "Bideford is very hilly, what about when walkings difficult ?" but I have already tried out a Mobility Scooter and an going to get a Honda/Yamaha or Kawasaki Quad bike for nipping to the shops and out taking photos - I shall have a comfy box/bed for my dog ont he back hayrack and above each rear wheel a "luggage box, both locked" and a nice wicker basket on the front

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Stay where you are, get the Supa Moto Home finished and disappear for weeks in whichever direction takes your fancy, That way you will never get old, stale or bored
Old 17th June 2013

Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts

Almost the whole of North Devon is hilly, but but if you go for somewhere in the Instow area thats pretty flat. Its on a tounge of land between the Taw and Torridge esturays Google earth gives a good idea of the lay of the land.
Most of the major chain shops are a few minutes away in Barnstaple, if you need them. J&A cameras are really nice guys.
And there is easy access to the Tarka Trail from there, which is a disused railway line - so fairly gently inclined for walking the mutts. If you see what looks like a soggy brown rug hurtle past its probobly mine.
As a sailorman, I get the privalige of living wherever I like, its only 6 comutes a year, and I am sure I made the right choice with North Devon.
Old 17th June 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Stay where you are, get the Supa Moto Home finished and disappear for weeks in whichever direction takes your fancy, That way you will never get old, stale or bored
The other night Nick said, , "if we have one of the four newbuilds here, we could take off in the Supa Moto Home for a year touring the UK ? "

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcgill View Post
Almost the whole of North Devon is hilly, but but if you go for somewhere in the Instow area thats pretty flat. Its on a tounge of land between the Taw and Torridge esturays Google earth gives a good idea of the lay of the land.
Most of the major chain shops are a few minutes away in Barnstaple, if you need them. J&A cameras are really nice guys.
And there is easy access to the Tarka Trail from there, which is a disused railway line - so fairly gently inclined for walking the mutts. If you see what looks like a soggy brown rug hurtle past its probobly mine.
As a sailorman, I get the privalige of living wherever I like, its only 6 comutes a year, and I am sure I made the right choice with North Devon.

Mac that sounds a good idea I shall google Instow ... NOW ! I shall look out for a "Brown Rug"

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2013

Liked 335 Times in 85 Posts

We get a lot of folk moving up here to Galloway to retire Chevvy. There's a big differential in house prices between the south and here, and lots of people (though fewer since the housing slump) who may have spent summer holidays in Scotland, sell up their houses down south or wherever, buy the equivalent (or better) here and live quite nicely on the profit, which is to be honest what I would do as well if I was in their shoes. And generally, with odd exceptions, they are very nice folk who are much more appreciative of things like the countryside, scenery, community spirit, exceptionally low crime rates (few people round here bother to lock their doors) than most of us who have been here for generations, and we're happy to welcome them here.

And then they find that it's not quite the paradise that they thought it would be. Far from the summertime idyll that they might have experienced on holiday, the winter months can absolutely fecking miserable with significantly shorter daylight hours than in the SoE (we do make up for it in the summertime), bugger all to do in the way of entertainment, the nearest proper hospital 75 miles away, the shops (what's left of them) are crap and also a long way away, there's no decent transport system, petrol is much more expensive, friends and family support is now an 8 hour drive away, and to crown it all, as far as buying a house is concerned for many people it's a one way trip - they are never going to be able to afford to get back into the housing market elsewhere because they've spent the money they made on selling their old house. We used to talk about the three year syndrome - in the first year after arriving there would be breathless anticipation and great plans, the second year dawning realisation, and third year a quick exit back down south again - if they could afford it.

I'm not trying to put you off - just pointing out that there are upsides and downsides to relocating to remote rural areas, particularly at a time of life when you may be starting to need a bit more in the way of support. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere!
Old 17th June 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post
We get a lot of folk moving up here to Galloway to retire Chevvy. There's a big differential in house prices between the south and here, and lots of people (though fewer since the housing slump) who may have spent summer holidays in Scotland, sell up their houses down south or wherever, buy the equivalent (or better) here and live quite nicely on the profit, which is to be honest what I would do as well if I was in their shoes. And generally, with odd exceptions, they are very nice folk who are much more appreciative of things like the countryside, scenery, community spirit, exceptionally low crime rates (few people round here bother to lock their doors) than most of us who have been here for generations, and we're happy to welcome them here.

And then they find that it's not quite the paradise that they thought it would be. Far from the summertime idyll that they might have experienced on holiday, the winter months can absolutely fecking miserable with significantly shorter daylight hours than in the SoE (we do make up for it in the summertime), bugger all to do in the way of entertainment, the nearest proper hospital 75 miles away, the shops (what's left of them) are crap and also a long way away, there's no decent transport system, petrol is much more expensive, friends and family support is now an 8 hour drive away, and to crown it all, as far as buying a house is concerned for many people it's a one way trip - they are never going to be able to afford to get back into the housing market elsewhere because they've spent the money they made on selling their old house. We used to talk about the three year syndrome - in the first year after arriving there would be breathless anticipation and great plans, the second year dawning realisation, and third year a quick exit back down south again - if they could afford it.

I'm not trying to put you off - just pointing out that there are upsides and downsides to relocating to remote rural areas, particularly at a time of life when you may be starting to need a bit more in the way of support. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere!
For a home by the sea I would think Northumberland would take some beating.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th June 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post

David, such VERY SAGE advice and VERY much appreciated.

Sounds a bit like the "move to Spain ... or other place" ...

Nick and I dont often go "out" only for a meal 3 or 4 times a year we buy DVDs and enjoy stting back with a drink and snacks- being able to pause for a phone call or loo brak or to refill glasses (hic!) and NO PEOPLE CRUNCHING CRISPS OR TALKING (as in the cinema

Do you have Tesco etc., on line shopping delivery ?

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
John, thats interesting being as your on the East Coast

I checked the Sunshine Hours; Rainfall and Temps for the past three years - at Bideford ; Looe; Witterings and here

Guess which is Sunnyist ; Warmest; least rainfall ? WINCHESTER !

I had forgotten about the onshore winds (what we are protected from by hills about 6 miles towards the coast ) and the winds at the tide turning THATS when Nick said, "take the camper and off touring UK for a year and have one of the newbuilds here "

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2013

I do not want to make the dreadfull mistakes David highlights above ... but I do want to be by the sea ... maybe we make a larger Frog pond and install a wave machine

the ONE photo album
Old 17th June 2013

Liked 335 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

Do you have Tesco etc., on line shopping delivery ?
Nearest Tesco 19 miles away Chevvy. No on line delivery from Tescos this far out!
There is a small Sainsbury's about 7 miles away - still no delivery service though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I agree John - a lovely part of the world. Very cold in winter though. My brother in law lives in Co Durham and has even harsher winters than we do.
Old 17th June 2013

David, I much appreciate your info I think we need to have online ordering and delivery of groceries - if not for now, but later on ... We have to be as warm as poss. for Nicks health

I also would like to have a new build with exceedingly great insulation and Water Harvested from below ground to feed the hot water for showers and underfloor ground floor heating - as Water & Electricity are going to be sooo very expensive in the next 5-10 years ... and a few solar panels on the roof too for electricity generation lights mainly (note not our Christmas lights )

the ONE photo album