Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
Re: Top gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I'm blaming Mark. But don't you think it was interesting that he (Clarkson) was in Sydney this last weekend. Maybe Mark thought of it because Jeremy Clarkson made the news with some altercation with the media gate crashing a dinner evening (or something like that).

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1226592774937

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/top...-1226593171926

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cele...309-2fsig.html

I thought it was great news that he was in Sydney because it is almost as far as he can get from the UK. Then he had to spoil it all by getting all precious and announcing (through his minder) that he's not going back!

I suppose it can be annoying when you are famous and constantly attracting the attention of the media, particularly when you are enjoying a romantic relationship which you would prefer to keep secret but hey, that's the price of fame. Clarkson is only too happy to hype himself up when it suits him. He is funny and entertaining on Top Gear but in real life he strikes me as being thoroughly obnoxious.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Not guilty m'lud

David
Old 13th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisbro View Post
Not guilty m'lud

David
Bet you had forgotten this one, David!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this TOP GEAR is one of my favorite channel, Jeremy always knew how to make me laugh
Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 MK I
Zuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8
Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01F
Metz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1
NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8
Mono-TriPod|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Pro Runner 350|Passport Sling|Toploader 55

Ebay : declan_79
The Following User Says Thank You to Declan For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (13th March 2013)
Old 14th March 2013
Stock Shooter

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts

I watched last week’s episode in Africa. Enjoyed it because I worked in Africa 1965-67 and the show took me to places I had never been, but would have liked to see.

The episode benefited from being all filmed on location and lacked the usual hackneyed format - boring skidding around an airfield in unlikely cars etc.

At the end I thought that this must be the last ever Top Gear, but now, shocking news another being made in OZ...

Looking back in this thread, I see that in 2008 I had turned it off after 15 minutes. I have done that a few more times since.

Still watch it (often only the first 15 mins) as it has the appeal of being about the most un-PC show around...

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 14th March 2013

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

and a very good earner for the BBC so helping to keep the TV License fee down - but more likely enabling the beeb to afford to make other programs that you do like
Old 14th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
and a very good earner for the BBC so helping to keep the TV License fee down - but more likely enabling the beeb to afford to make other programs that you do like
Oh definitely, it's a very successful format and great entertainment. I like James May and Richard Hammond, and Clarkson undoubtedly contributes hugely to the appeal of the program even though he gets right up my nose!

Old 14th March 2013

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Motoring show for petrol heads - why try to sell people cars? All the reviews everywhere else there needs to be an outlet for fun. Most people already know what they are going to buy before they've stepped out of the house.

Clarkson is an ****, and that is exactly why I watch it. He's done well to come through the ranks and is a big seller.
Old 15th March 2013
Stock Shooter

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Derek,

Yes it is apparently a great earner - maybe the best ever.

And I didn't say I didn't like it. There are a multitude of programmes I don't like and I simply don't watch them. Top Gear team have a very tough job to do to keep the programme's appeal whilst avoiding it becoming a regular (instead of occasional) turn off. Turn off for annoying is OK but turn off for boring would be a sad end.

BTW I used to watch James Bond films but now I never do...

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses