Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Is there a soundproof room where I can scream, scream, scream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Why scream, scream, scream when you can join the ranks exclusive ranks of the internets camera specification keyboard heroes and beta testers

Have you told them about your mate who works on the Olympus OMD project and that you, as a well respected “camera expert”, were recruited to work hand-in-hand with Olympus and have tried and tested several of the prototypes in a variety of challenging, but glamorous, locations around the world

At this late stage of the project you are now fully aware of 99.9% of the OMD’s specification and that really only the colours of the interchangeable fully waterproof body panels and multi-mount retro-compatible lens mounting mounted mount are to the whittled up from five to ten colours.

In keeping with Olympus’s tradition for being innovators a full frame sensor was developed, tried and tested and ultimately rejected by your good self, and that bloke Bailey who helped you develop the Olympus Trip

Instead you both cannibalised the sensors from the piles of E5 cameras they keep giving you, and came up with a revolutionary sensor design – not full frame, but much the bigger, technologically innovative, four-thirds of a frame sensor – in effect a whole third bigger than anything else which is currently being used

As the OMD sensor uses multiple E5 sensors you have redesigned the image processing hardware to use parallel processing, thus saving time and boost the frame rate from 5 f.p.s. to a much more useable 20 f.p.s.

Thanks to your extra third, the resolution and high ISO noiseless performance is way better than the Nikon D4 and Canon EOS-1DX. In fact, it is so much better that Olympus were begged by Nikon and Canon not to go public on the full specs for six months so that they could sell what are soon to be obsolete cameras.

I am still in awe of the OMD’s detachable rear screen which can be used as a wireless remote control for the camera, whilst wirelessly offering live-view and touchscreen control of all the camera functions.

Perhaps you are the man to ask if the rumours are true? Does the detachable rear screen also have a slots for a phone sim card and microSD so that I can also remotely control the camera via mobile phone

Over to you Zuiko, now is the chance to tell us all about it
Chris, you've obviously seen the true specs too! And I thought it was just me, sworn to secrecy for the last 6 months!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkly View Post
John - I am so distressed for you being so upset, I will have another Crown Lager.

No - really I will.

Terry, if you like I'll get upset again tonight so that you have an excuse to have another, and another, and....you get the idea!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
John,
I agree with you - comments like this from CNet are obviously being made by someone who really hasn't spent any time with the kit.
'It's not clear if Olympus will be deep-sixing its E series of more traditional SLRs, but given recent years' performance, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Canon and Nikon continue to dominate the SLR market with broad product lines, while Olympus' newest model, the top-end Olympus E-5, is from 2010. The E-30 and E-620 are even older, introduced in 2009.'
If a product performs well - why the need to continuously change it?

By the way - what is deep-sixing? Is it rude - does it involve Linda Lovelace?
I saw that comment, too, and pretty much wondered the same thing.

Old 19th January 2012

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Deep-six = six feet under i.e. buried. Very much a US euphemism.
My worry about being laid back about this sort of idiocy, is that it becomes acepted wisdom. (It's on *****, so it must be right. Unfortunatley we live in a 'bling' based society and if its not D&G, Armani (read Canikon) then it is uncool.
John, don't give yourself a heart attack because if we don't counter the drivel then the inmates will keep control of the asylum.
Jim
Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Is full-frame the same as whole-plate? If so, then yes, I would like to see Olympus fit a whole-plate sensor into a 6 inch wide body. That would be really something.
Ah yes, the "full frame of what?" question. Logically, if used as a general photographic term, it must relate to the largest standard commercially produced format, which I believe is 10x8 inches.

There are all sorts of large and medium formats below that before you get down to 35mm or equivalent, correctly known as miniature format. Digital cameras based on and developed from that format are indeed "full frame" if they have a sensor area of 36mm x24mm. Many, however, have a sensor equivalent in size to APS-C film and are correctly termed "cropped sensor" because they still use lenses and a mount designed to cover the 35mm format from which they are derived.

Four Thirds is a completely different format and all current cameras designed for that format use a full size sensor and purpose designed lenses with a corresponding image circle, therefore are "full frame." Micro Four Thirds is a bit of a misnomer because there is nothing "micro" about the sensor, it is still full frame for the format. "Micro" applies to the reduced size of the bodies and lenses made possible by dispensing with the mirror and prism viewing system.

Now although cameras like the Nikon D7000, which uses an APS-C sized sensor but the same mount and lenses as Nikon's "full frame" cameras, is correctly termed "cropped sensor," cameras such as the new Fuji X1 pro which use the same size sensor but are purpose designed with matching lenses for that format are in fact full frame.

Confusing isn't it? Which is why I dislike the term "full frame" and even more so the way it is commonly and incorrectly used as some sort of proof of a camera's worth.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
cinders (19th January 2012), Greytop (19th January 2012), TRIPLEPOT (19th January 2012)
Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
Deep-six = six feet under i.e. buried. Very much a US euphemism.
My worry about being laid back about this sort of idiocy, is that it becomes acepted wisdom. (It's on *****, so it must be right. Unfortunatley we live in a 'bling' based society and if its not D&G, Armani (read Canikon) then it is uncool.
John, don't give yourself a heart attack because if we don't counter the drivel then the inmates will keep control of the asylum.
Jim
Thanks for that explanation, Jim, it saves any possible feelings of inadequacy!

I'm not really wound up enough to suffer a heart attack because of this, just a little bemused!

Old 19th January 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Ah yes, the "full frame of what?" question. Logically, if used as a general photographic term, it must relate to the largest standard commercially produced format, which I believe is 10x8 inches.

There are all sorts of large and medium formats below that before you get down to 35mm or equivalent, correctly known as miniature format. Digital cameras based on and developed from that format are indeed "full frame" if they have a sensor area of 36mm x24mm. Many, however, have a sensor equivalent in size to APS-C film and are correctly termed "cropped sensor" because they still use lenses and a mount designed to cover the 35mm format from which they are derived.

Four Thirds is a completely different format and all current cameras designed for that format use a full size sensor and purpose designed lenses with a corresponding image circle, therefore are "full frame." Micro Four Thirds is a bit of a misnomer because there is nothing "micro" about the sensor, it is still full frame for the format. "Micro" applies to the reduced size of the bodies and lenses made possible by dispensing with the mirror and prism viewing system.

Now although cameras like the Nikon D7000, which uses an APS-C sized sensor but the same mount and lenses as Nikon's "full frame" cameras, is correctly termed "cropped sensor," cameras such as the new Fuji X1 pro which use the same size sensor but are purpose designed with matching lenses for that format are in fact full frame.

Confusing isn't it? Which is why I dislike the term "full frame" and even more so the way it is commonly and incorrectly used as some sort of proof of a camera's worth.

Exactly John, which why I now refuse to use the term (shhhh) 'full fame' when applied to 36 x 24 mm, I simply refer to it as 35 mm format

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 19th January 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Gentlemen please...There's ladies present
Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,605 Times in 927 Posts

Was not the 10" x 8" known as a "Full Plate" rather than "Full Frame"

I only ever got to use a Half Plate Sinar and a Quarter Plate 5x4

I always thought the term "Full Frame" came from the dark room and referred to using the whole of the available neg rather than a crop either by masking down or blowing up...

I can't help but wonder how many of the people with gazillions of pixels ever get to see them all at once on their 1920 x 1080 (at best) screens or ever seeing them printed up to the full splender that they deserve...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I can't help but wonder how many of the people with gazillions of pixels ever get to see them all at once on their 1920 x 1080 (at best) screens or ever seeing them printed up to the full splender that they deserve...
Maybe they've got big walls!

Old 19th January 2012

Liked 736 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Was not the 10" x 8" known as a "Full Plate" rather than "Full Frame"
Not quite. As I dimly remember it, and confirmed by a quick Google, full plate was 8.5 by 6.5 inches or thereabouts. I presume 10 by 8, 5 by 4 and so on must have come from a different source - hardly surprising as the early developments in photogrpahy were going on in several different places.

Ciao ... John
Old 19th January 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Cool Re: Is there a soundproof room where I can scream, scream, scream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I've just been reading some comments on another forum about the forthcoming Olympus OMD. I'm amazed at the number of people who really think that Olympus should and could fit a Full Frame sensor in this new body and still be able to use the existing lenses!

Their pathetic lack of photographic knowledge makes me wonder what the hell they think they need Full Frame for. Is their photographic ability so high that they deserve only the very best sensor performance and anything less than Full Frame simply will not do? I somehow doubt it! Almost certainly, rather than bitching about the "smallness" of MFT sensors, they'd do better to learn how to use the camera properly so that they can get the results which most of us here routinely enjoy and which their own incompetence leads them to believe can only be achieved with the Holy Grail of Full Frame.

Still, why spoil the perfect lame excuse for poor photography, "It's not my fault, my sensor is too small!"

Rant over.
Good for you John, I have said many times...all these no brainers don't even know woes in the camera that they have! (it is probably film)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Gordon For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (19th January 2012)
Old 19th January 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Exactly.

On the other hand if they get full frame to make them a better photographer they can sell me their SHG glass listed in my sig.
Nothing if not persistent

Pure style
Old 19th January 2012

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Exactly John, which why I now refuse to use the term (shhhh) 'full fame' when applied to 36 x 24 mm, I simply refer to it as 35 mm format
35mm always used to be referred to as a 'miniature' format, 16mm as 'sub-miniature' and 2 1/4" square as 'medium' format.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Old 19th January 2012

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Gosh I am confused.

I think I will stick to my compact-style interchangeable lens camera.
With a Micro 4/3rds sensor.
That is full frame.
But only half the size of a minature format camera.
But bigger than a Nikon sensor.
But smaller than a different Nikon sensor.
And even smaller than the other Nikon sensor.
But it's bigger than a Pentax sensor.
Although smaller than a Pentax sensor.........
The Following User Says Thank You to Who's_E For This Useful Post:
JohnF (20th January 2012)