Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-330

Olympus E-330 E-330 specific discussion.

Old 4th April 2008

Liked 703 Times in 372 Posts
E-330 wish list...

I am a die hard E-330 user..Even with the release of new E-systems cameras, I have no urge to upgrade as I love the features of my E-330. Sadly the new cameras release have not been able to make me upgrade.

If you are like me who is a die hard E-330 user, Would you like to see Olympus upgrade the E-330? If so, what would you want in that upgrade and what would you want Olympus retain?

BTW, Olympus did mention sometime back that the E-330 is end of the line for the flat top design.

All my garbage so far.
Old 4th April 2008
Cicak

Re: E-330 wish list...

My friend Blu, none of the live view mode in the new products since e-330 can satisfy you

End of the line for e-330 series??? i hope you can find a worthy successor
Old 5th April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I run an E-330 and E-1 (for rainy days!)

What I want is IS and one of those nice new 10mp sensors that are in the E-3/410/510. Plus a bigger continuous shooting buffer than three shots. A portrait battery grip.

Weather-proofing would make it too heavy.

Just bought a 12-60 wondering if I should revert back to my E-1 and grip for better handling balance. Tried it and: No, I just can't put the '330 down. Dad doesn't agree but I have smaller hands than him.
Old 5th April 2008

Liked 348 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I notice you were happy to borrow my E510 the other day when you wanted IS!

Dad
Old 6th April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I notice you were happy to borrow my E510 the other day when you wanted IS!

Dad
Yes! The IS and ability to use a high ISO was invaluable given the extreme weather conditions. I just wasn't getting sensible shutter speeds from the E-330 as I didn't want to use a higher ISO.
Old 7th April 2008

I want that IS, vertical GRIP, better sensor ( E-3, E-420 ), 9 points AF and 9 RAW buffer.

Please retain the Live View, LCD swivel (not hinge) and Flat top, So that I can use twin flash.

All my garbage so far.
Old 14th April 2008
Rockin Ronnie

I had the E500, gave it to my daughter, now have the E510 and just ordered an E330 which should arrive tomorrow. Could not resist the low price right now.

Ron
Old 15th April 2008

The first thing you would notice, the colors are very close to the E-500. At ISO100 to 200, the picture quality will your newer E-510 a run for it's money. Enjoy the new baby.

All my garbage so far.
Old 15th April 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

There are aspects of the E330 design 7 spec that are still unique, although quite understandably for a camera that age there are many areas where later cameras have significantly improved. However, it was an excellent camera in its day and in its own right it's still an excellent camera today.

Unfortunately for those that love the flat top design it wasn't perceived as a commercial success (the camera sold in spit of it rather than because of it) and is unlikely to be repeated. Unless, of course, Canon or Nikon suddenly "innovate" with it, in which case it will be praised from the rooftops as a major design breakthrough.

I suppose we would all come up with slightly different combinations as our ideal E system camera, but mine would be something like this:-

The body of the E500 (the E510 differs just enough not to fit so naturally in my hands, the E500 is by far the best camera I've ever handled). The swivel and tilt screen of the E3 with both the live view modes of the E330 plus the continuous view focusing of the new E420. IS would of course be included and a new feature I would like to see introduced would be focus confirmation with manual focus legacy lenses. The high ISO performance of the E3 would be welcome but I would reluctantly dispense with the waterproof construction in order to keep the size and weight down to that of the E500. Just to complete the package I'd like a 20mm fast f2 prime with proper focusing scale on the barrel and depth of field markings for each aperture. The price (with this lens) would be less than 500.

Will my wishes ever be fulfilled? Not a chance! But I'm sure Oly will come closer than any other brand.

John
Old 15th April 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
There are aspects of the E330 design 7 spec that are still unique, although quite understandably for a camera that age there are many areas where later cameras have significantly improved. However, it was an excellent camera in its day and in its own right it's still an excellent camera today.

Unfortunately for those that love the flat top design it wasn't perceived as a commercial success (the camera sold in spit of it rather than because of it) and is unlikely to be repeated. Unless, of course, Canon or Nikon suddenly "innovate" with it, in which case it will be praised from the rooftops as a major design breakthrough.

I suppose we would all come up with slightly different combinations as our ideal E system camera, but mine would be something like this:-

The body of the E500 (the E510 differs just enough not to fit so naturally in my hands, the E500 is by far the best camera I've ever handled). The swivel and tilt screen of the E3 with both the live view modes of the E330 plus the continuous view focusing of the new E420. IS would of course be included and a new feature I would like to see introduced would be focus confirmation with manual focus legacy lenses. The high ISO performance of the E3 would be welcome but I would reluctantly dispense with the waterproof construction in order to keep the size and weight down to that of the E500. Just to complete the package I'd like a 20mm fast f2 prime with proper focusing scale on the barrel and depth of field markings for each aperture. The price (with this lens) would be less than 500.

Will my wishes ever be fulfilled? Not a chance! But I'm sure Oly will come closer than any other brand.

John
All the except you did not mention the phase AF sensor of a minimum 5 points, usable withe Life View.

What about a bigger RAW buffer? Don't you want that?

All my garbage so far.
Old 15th April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Zuiko,

500 would be a good price point. I wonder how feasible it would be, though?

On one hand the E-330 must have come out at its high price due to the complicated construction and features.

However, having developed the other cameras further, Olympus should be able to make 500. I would buy it and I might compromise on features such as the buffer.

Hope the Olympus marketing folks read this...

Nick