Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 27th March 2019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to download photos to android tablet ?

I am a new user here (first post).

I have bought an Olympus E-420 dslr.
Using the USB cable I can download photos to a desktop and laptop computer via on-board Windows software drivers.
I am going on holiday in April and en-route wish to download photos to an android tablet.
I thought I had nothing else to do but buy an On-The-Go adaptor - load the Olympus Image Share app - and, it would be straightforward.
It isn't.
The first screen asks me to scan the QR (barcode) - for registration - which my camera does not have, and I cannot get past this point.
I have tried numerous third-party apps and non of them work either.
Please, as a matter of urgency, can someone tell me how to achieve this download - from camera to android tablet.
Old 27th March 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts
Re: How to download photos to android tablet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup13 View Post

I have bought an Olympus E-420 dslr.
Using the USB cable I can download photos to a desktop and laptop computer via on-board Windows software drivers.
I am going on holiday in April and en-route wish to download photos to an android tablet.
I thought I had nothing else to do but buy an On-The-Go adaptor - load the Olympus Image Share app - and, it would be straightforward.
It isn't.
The first screen asks me to scan the QR (barcode) - for registration - which my camera does not have, and I cannot get past this point.
I have tried numerous third-party apps and non of them work either.
Please, as a matter of urgency, can someone tell me how to achieve this download - from camera to android tablet.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your question is one I've also pondered briefly as my wife has an Android Tablet. I hope you get plenty of useful suggestions from our more knowledgeable members.

Jax
Old 27th March 2019

Liked 1,685 Times in 1,085 Posts

Is the tablet actually asking to scan the QR code of the OTG adaptor, rather than the camera?

Jim
Old 27th March 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts

I've just searched Google for "download photos from camera to android tablet" and there are videos and How To articles explaining the process. Hope this helps.

Jax
Old 27th March 2019

Liked 144 Times in 99 Posts

Get a card reader with a micro usb jack and plug it straight in the tablet and download from the camera memory card
Always use my Galaxy Tab S to store back up photos when travelling.
Tablet storage is expanded with a 128gb micro sd card, lots of space to save raw and jpeg
The Following User Says Thank You to Tram For This Useful Post:
Jax (27th March 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (28th March 2019)
Old 27th March 2019

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,451 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

You could invest in a single slot card reader, plug that into the USB female end of your your OTG cable, and take your storage card out of the camera. Always use single slot single card type readers as then there is no confusion with the reader appearing as multiple devices. What card type are you using and what do you intends to do with the images - view, download for backup, edit?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (29th March 2019)
Old 27th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
You could invest in a single slot card reader, plug that into the USB female end of your your OTG cable, and take your storage card out of the camera. Always use single slot single card type readers as then there is no confusion with the reader appearing as multiple devices. What card type are you using and what do you intends to do with the images - view, download for backup, edit?
Most tablets and phones are OTG enabled these days and no longer need a lead.
Something like this should be fine https://www.amazon.co.uk/KiWiBiRD-Ad...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

One thing to remember, keep the photos on the camera memory cards too otherwise it's not actually a back up.
Old 28th March 2019

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

My android tablet has a micro SD card slot so I just use micro cards in an adaptor for use in my camera then put the micro card in the tablet when I want to review the images on holiday. Really simple and no extra card readers to carry.
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
My android tablet has a micro SD card slot so I just use micro cards in an adaptor for use in my camera then put the micro card in the tablet when I want to review the images on holiday. Really simple and no extra card readers to carry.
That's fine, but if you put them on the tablet it saves them as well.
Holiday photos need backing up in some way so why not on the tablet.

Plus i'm not convinced micro SD cards are a great idea to use in the camera.
Write speeds are generally slower than the comparative size SDHC or SDXC card.
Old 28th March 2019

Liked 703 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup13 View Post

............. an Olympus E-420 dslr.
Using the USB cable ...........from camera to android tablet.
If my memory serves me correctly, that E420 uses a CF memory chip. AND it does not have WiFi support.

To transfer, you would need a CF reader to attach to the USB port in the Android tablet. I am not sure if you can directly connect the camera via the USB but it maybe possible but in the camera, you would have to set it as external storage.

Another thing to note that the E420 do not use a standard USB cable.

Most Android Tablet uses a micro USB so you would need a micro to Standard USB converter before you can plug in anything.

Card slots of a E420

Micro USB OTG convertor

Oly E420 USB plug

All my garbage so far.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (29th March 2019), OM USer (28th March 2019), Ross the fiddler (28th March 2019)
Old 28th March 2019

Didn't realise it was CF, should still work and as you say

CF card reader with usb to micro usb adapter to plug into tablet.
Got a few of the small white Samsung adapters laying about from all our various devices if you want one
Old 28th March 2019

Good spot Henry I'd forgotten it was CF

Tram I use a Lexar SDHC UHS-II 32Gb 1800x micro card which seems fast enough at 270MB/s even for pro capture. It came with a SD adaptor and a USB card reader in the pack. I know it's not as fast as the larger cards and does have the extra set of connections but so far it's worked OK for me and gives me the convenience I like when I'm travelling.
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
Good spot Henry I'd forgotten it was CF

Tram I use a Lexar SDHC UHS-II 32Gb 1800x micro card which seems fast enough at 270MB/s even for pro capture. It came with a SD adaptor and a USB card reader in the pack. I know it's not as fast as the larger cards and does have the extra set of connections but so far it's worked OK for me and gives me the convenience I like when I'm travelling.
What do you use to back up the photos, Phil?
Old 28th March 2019

I can just copy them onto the tablet's internal drive if I want to do it on the fly. I usually just wait till I get home though. I suppose I could copy them onto the tablet and then onto a second micro SD card but I haven't tried that.
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
I can just copy them onto the tablet's internal drive if I want to do it on the fly. I usually just wait till I get home though. I suppose I could copy them onto the tablet and then onto a second micro SD card but I haven't tried that.
Can't say I want to take that sort of chance, always keep them on a selection of SD cards plus downloaded to the 128gb micro SD card in the tablet.
If I get a decent wi-fi connection also put them on a cloud drive too, better safe than sorry and some places I will probably never visit again.

Internal memory on my Tab S tablets is 16gb on the 10.5 and 32gb on the newer S2. Bit tight for a decent holidays worth of photos, raw sizes are quite big on the 20mp.
My daughter is currently planning an Antarctica trip and know she is going for at least three forms of back up.
She used the card and tablet method successfully on a US trip last year, doesn't take long back at the hotel in the evening.
I might get one of the HDD's that have a slot for a SD card and download straight to that, think the newer ones are quite good