Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th July 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,163 Times in 2,471 Posts
Liked 4,471 Times in 2,124 Posts
Web Wars

What is it about photographers and the Internet? Normally you couldn’t wish to meet a nicer, more affable group of people, all delighting in a shared passion for recording through their lens the world around them. Always with a friendly word to say upon meeting a fellow photographer, regardless of what equipment each is using. In fact, in real life equipment discussions are normally quite low down the list, well below the merits of what is being photographed, for example.

Sadly, that often changes online. Whether it’s the impersonality of “talking” to a fellow human being through a screen and keyboard, the anonymity of the medium or a more basic, tribal instinct emerging amongst the greater numbers present I don’t know, but there is a dramatic difference in the way cyber photographers relate to each other. Many of them gravitate towards one of several distinct tribes, usually defined by the make of camera used by the tribe members.

There are dedicated tribes for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus, with sub tribes for full frame and cropped sensor users and woe betide the unfortunate tribal member who inadvertently strays into the territory of a rival; each tribe has its own homeland with well-defined boundaries, known as a forum. Rivalry between these tribes can be so fierce that it makes the rivalry between Manchester United and Leeds supporters seem like a friendly agreement to differ. Some of the bitterest conflicts used to occur between the film and digital tribes, until the former declined in numbers so much that the issues became irrelevant.

However, there are also many large cosmopolitan areas of the Web owned by no single group and for the benefit of all. The idea is that these forums should act like a vast commune where homeless tribe members can peacefully co-exist in mutual respect of each other’s ethnic differences, with no discrimination whether their lenses are black or white. and regardless of whether they originate from Japan, Germany, China or Korea. Unfortunately these displaced photographers rapidly gravitate towards others from the same cultural background and very soon turf wars break out between the rival factions, all determined to impose their own pixel count or high ISO rating upon others with different beliefs.

It’s fairly easy to identify which tribe a photographer belongs to; they usually display a comprehensive list of equipment owned (and occasionally actually used) immediately beneath their signature, along with some witty or deep and meaningful slogan seldom related to photography. The equipment list serves two purposes; it identifies to which tribe the photographer owes his allegiance and it establishes his place within the hierarchy – the greater the amount of gear, particularly if it is all the latest top of the range stuff, the more proficient the photographer. It’s rather like the Two Ronnie’s sketch with John Cleese; “I am middle class because I own a 7D. I look up at him because he has a 5DII but down on him because he only has a 40D.” However, don’t feel too sorry for the 40D owner, he looks down on anyone who owns a Nikon, Pentax, Sony or Olympus.

The Internet is actually a great place for photographers to display their photographs, to a potentially massive audience. However, many of them prefer to Talk Photography and never let the facts get in the way of a good rant. These shadowy characters, anonymous through “user names,” do occasionally venture from their virtual half-world to actually meet real photographers, taking real photographs in real situations. You couldn’t wish to meet a nicer, more affable group of people, all delighting in a shared passion for recording through their lens the world around them. Always with a friendly word to say upon meeting a fellow photographer, regardless of what equipment each is using.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Dan in NC (15th July 2011), Greytop (15th July 2011), Howi (15th July 2011), snaarman (15th July 2011)
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Web Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It’s fairly easy to identify which tribe a photographer belongs to; they usually display a comprehensive list of equipment owned (and occasionally actually used) immediately beneath their signature, along with some witty or deep and meaningful slogan seldom related to photography. The equipment list serves two purposes; it identifies to which tribe the photographer owes his allegiance and it establishes his place within the hierarchy – the greater the amount of gear, particularly if it is all the latest top of the range stuff, the more proficient the photographer. It’s rather like the Two Ronnie’s sketch with John Cleese; “I am middle class because I own a 7D. I look up at him because he has a 5DII but down on him because he only has a 40D.” However, don’t feel too sorry for the 40D owner, he looks down on anyone who owns a Nikon, Pentax, Sony or Olympus.
Wasn't the sketch from That Was The Week That Was? And no I'm not old enough to remember the show but have seen the sketch.

I've never understood equipment lists in a signature as you can see from my current sig.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

As a very recently joined member of this forum I also never understood the reason for listing equipment in a signature but it seemed the thing to do so I eventually compiled a list. I don't read much into this or concerned whether it identifies me with any tribe or other group.

I belong to several forums, most of them non photographically orientated, and in all I use my real name as username. I have never seen the need for an anonymous username on a web forum that doesn't involve any security issues and in fact on all the non-photography forums I belong to nobody uses them.

Anyhow we are all individuals and the enjoyment of belonging to a friendly forum as this with the ability to have meaningful discourse with other photographers, irrespective of their tribe , signature, avatar, or username is priceless.
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Suppose I've been lucky in this, or have'nt really come across it. Maybe it's my general outlook, not giving a rats behind about equipment used but focusing more on the resulting images and the mind behind the shutter release.
My list here shows only my Oly based stuff, just to show others what I regularly use, and am comfortable with. You could give a chimp a Hassleblad, but wouldnt make it a great photographer. On that same note I've walked along side the homeless with Vivitar point and shoots, producing some amazing results.
There is also the question of interpreting text, and the loss of meaning and emotion within forums. I'd most often plumb for benifit of doubt.
E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/
Old 15th July 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Ah! John (or should I call you Zuiko ) how very observant you are !

I guess the "Kit List" is akin "showing off their six-pack in public" ! Merely being proud of one's possessions - I cannot believe that anyone would have "all of the kit" and "NOT use it" ?

However, I have observed Skiers with "the latest and best kit" at the top of the Blackest, highest runs; Motorbikers with "the latest, fastest bike and best kit"; horser riders, with "all the best & most expensive kit AND a very expensive prize winner horse" ; Yachties with a beautiful 36 footer; all the kit, and the owners cannot or do not (or both) USE IT !

Sometimes, I feel it is self inflicted persecution - by having the best they put themselves "on a pedestal" too high to climb down from to do the job! It becomes Self Intimidation

Whereas, if they started with less - they would learn more about the basics, have a lot of fun - it not mattering if they dropped it and broke it - although old kit is likely to more robust to the elements much like quality kit today

Turf Wars - well we all have an Ego and an Id - it is the Jekyll and Hyde and when a certain button is pressed, they are "Activated" in more than one way

I decided not to play the "kit list" game ... and at the time of joining here being an avid E-1, not upgraded for donkey's years, user !... I am only interested "per great shot", for the "kit" and then more importantly; how it was used

As for the Talk Photography discussions and um! "heated debates" it is fascinating when they ... "never let the facts get in the way" ... - but then, as in all sport from Football to Gladiators "The Spectator sees more of the game"
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I find the signature kit list is useful for brand-specific forums in giving a strong hint about where to ask specific kit-related questions.
For example I see PhotoNutter is currently using an e-500 so I would feel free to ask him to show a colour photo of bluebells with his Kodak-sensor camera next to the bluebell-frustrating Jpegs of his e-600 ...

In more general photography forums the kit list serves as a justification for displaying wealth, despite perhaps the investment of £2000 in a hobby not being the wisest thing. (not me)
There is nothing wrong with that. Be proud of your stuff.
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't agree. Kit listing is willy waving of the worst kind. It only serves to say to others with less kit that you have more and better so they had better not mess with you.
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

I'm not too fussed about kit listing either way: What sort of camera have I got? A black one...

However I am concerned, like John, about the uncivil corners of the web. It's not just photographers, poke around in any single purpose forum and you risk being flamed by the resident dragons.

Why is this? I note a habit in certain forums (Flickr comes to mind) that you don't sign your name after your rant. This makes the exchanges more anonymous and hence potentially more agressive.

Furthermore I try to project friendly with each post as part of my own personal forum maintenance

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I feel this is going where other less friendly forums go, let's stop it now and talk about photography again!

David
cinders (15th July 2011)
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXO View Post
I don't agree. Kit listing is willy waving of the worst kind. It only serves to say to others with less kit that you have more and better so they had better not mess with you.
And as a blanket statement I would disagree with that.

This and FT are the only sites where I and a few others have a kit list and then only bodies so other members here that have the same bodies can ask me questions about those specific bodies knowing that I will probably have the answer.

Other than here the only thing in my signature beside a quote of a dog lover (and I am one) is my website as I would rather that show my knowledge ( what little I have) and joy of photography rather than a list of equipment.

I'm not impressed by equipment lists but then I'm also not impressed by people that act and talk as the greatest gift to photography then do not like to share the results of there work/hobby with other like minded people that enjoy images and the making of them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following User Says Thank You to OlyPaul For This Useful Post:
Greytop (15th July 2011)
Old 15th July 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,163 Times in 2,471 Posts
Liked 4,471 Times in 2,124 Posts

Hey, it was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek, slightly humorous (I may have failed ) and irreverent piece of satire. I certainly didn't mean to cause offence or polarize opinions (there's the photography connection, I should have used a filter ).

I may be poking my out, but it is aimed at myself as much as anyone else! I don't excel at much, but self deprication is one where I hope I do!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hey, it was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek, slightly humorous (I may have failed ) and irreverent piece of satire. I certainly didn't mean to cause offence or polarize opinions (there's the photography connection, I should have used a filter ).

I may be poking my out, but it is aimed at myself as much as anyone else! I don't excel at much, but self deprication is one where I hope I do!
Damn troublemaker
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm proud of my list of kit, why wouldn't I be??? I paid lots of money for what I have, so I dont mind letting you all know I have it. If you don't want to see it, then don't read it
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

All forums are blessed with the presence of keyboard heroes. What you have to decide is if a mere mortal can ever hope to best the virtual knowledge, kit and skills of a keyboard hero.
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's forums like this one that really show up the bad ones, good natured debate never hurt anyone - but then try that on TP(especially if you don't have a big willie to wave[or even mention 4/3])