Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th October 2013

Liked 86 Times in 25 Posts
Now the dust has settled... (Rant warning)

There follows a lengthy and probably slightly unfocussed rant, so if you're allergic to such things look away now, and apologies for wasting your time, but it's been bugging me, so...

So, now the dust has settled on the EM-1 announcement/launch, am I the only feeling a little put out by it all?

I guess we all, realistically, knew that the next E-system body would likely be Micro 4/3 with some sort of improved adaptation technology for using 4/3 lenses - and that doesn't worry me. The tide is going that way and you can't stop the future.

What bothers me, and I'm sure I can't be alone in this, is the cost. Ffordes are listing the EM-1, body only, for a penny under £1300. The 4/3 adapter will be extra on top of that.

Now, I know that it is the flagship model, and I'm sure it is a wonderful camera. I'd love one, certainly. But I couldn't - and this is just me obviously, your own finances will be different to mine - justify spending that much on a camera. I thought part of the argument for mirrorless was that it saved the expense of the whole mirror/prism assembly - I guess the consumers aren't seeing the benefit of the savings.

I'm not bothered that they're making an expensive camera - they always have made them - I'm bothered that there is no option for those who don't need a top of the line device. I paid about £500 for E-520 about 5 years ago, which in my mind is quite enough for a camera that does what I need. All the bells and whistles are fine for those that want them, but I don't care about video, I'm not bothered about weather sealing (it would be nice to have, sure, but if it rains I'll just put the camera away and head somewhere dry).

So, are Olympus going to make a camera for me? Something reasonably priced that will work with 4/3 lenses? I know they wanted to make a camera for people who'd invested in SHG glass, but does that mean the rest of us (presumably the larger part of their customer base) aren't of any value? I may not have spent thousands on lenses, but I've still invested a fair bit, all told. I could wait a few years until used EM-1s come down to level I can afford - but why would I continue to invest in a company that doesn't care?

And, despite all the doom sayers warning that traditional SLRs are dying - I've yet to see much evidence for it. In all the time the EM-5 has been praised and talked about across the web, I've only ever seen 3 of them - the first time was about two weeks ago in London, as were the second and third (and one was in a shop window). In the meantime I've seen thousands of Canons and Nikons.

If Olympus are to survive, then they need to make a desirable camera that is affordable and that people can actually buy - dedicated enthusiasts (which we all may be) are not going to keep the company affloat. And being that you can't actually buy Olmypus stuff in any high street shops (at least none that I've been in) means that the casual user isn't going to even be aware of them, much less buy one.

So I'll keep using my 520 - I'd always planned to use it at least this long anyway. But it would be nice to think there will be an upgrade path available that isn't an exorbitantly priced excursion into another dead-end system.

Rant over now, sorry to anyone who made it to the end without nodding off. I would be interested to hear if anyone else feels similarly about the cost of equipment, or if you think I'm just being cheap.

Mike
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to snag2000 For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (29th October 2013), Greytop (29th October 2013), Iansky (29th October 2013), jamsa (29th October 2013), Janet (29th October 2013), Wee man (29th October 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Andel (29th October 2013), Chevvyf1 (29th October 2013), Falk (28th October 2013), Janet (29th October 2013), rsh1960 (29th October 2013), The Technician (29th October 2013)
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 54 Times in 31 Posts
Re: Now the dust has settled... (Rant warning)

There may not be currently a low cost option to buy new, but you could always look to the second hand market. There are many E3 & E5 bodies on the second hand market that would make a satisfactory upgrade to your E520.
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 880 Times in 245 Posts

I'm sure the next few Pens will have the same sensor and therefore ability to focus 4/3 glass quickly and accurately so hang on a bit and pick up an E-PL6 for about £500 6 months after its launch.
By the way, I've seen Olympus gear in Jessops in Inverness which is on the High Street - not a big high street admittedly...

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr

Last edited by IainMacD; 28th October 2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added info
The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (29th October 2013)
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
I'm sure the next few Pens will have the same sensor and therefore ability to focus 4/3 glass quickly and accurately so hang on a bit and pick up an E-PL6 for about £500 6 months after its launch.

You can already get an EPL6 from Ebay. It's an overseas market option only.
At present...
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 880 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You can already get an EPL6 from Ebay. It's an overseas market option only.
At present...
I forgot about that Japanese market only Wi-Fi boosted model!
Let's say E-PL7 then or is 7 unlucky.... I forget the superstitions

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 28th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
I forgot about that Japanese market only Wi-Fi boosted model!
Let's say E-PL7 then or is 7 unlucky.... I forget the superstitions

Same here, although I think that '4' is verbotten, hence we went from EP3 to EP5 with no EP4.
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Hi Mike,

I totally understand were your coming from. For me I have a E-600 i was lucky i only had to pay £300 for it at Dixons. When she dies I am prepared to change to M4/3 but i think it will be a move to Panasonic. I am lucky in a way that i only really use Legacy glass M42 or OM so the lenses aren't so much of an issue but there is no way i could afford an Olympus body. Also like you said were are Olympus in the shops............

Steve
Old 28th October 2013

Mike,
Here's my two pen'worth and I broadly agree. It's all well and good offering something with wi-fi, weather sealing and so on but how many of us really need it. Or maybe it's just you and me! If it's raining, I doubt that I'll wander that far in pursuit of photographs, I honestly haven't the foggiest what wi-fi would do (I suspect that it is smart-phone related and I've got a steam powered Nokia). I've got a 620, and a Pen to use as a back-up or for just slipping in to a coat pocket. The Pen is fine, but I like the look and feel of an SLR so the 620 goes out far more.
I hate to say it, but look at the huge range of cameras from Canon, Nikon et al, which seems to cover all bases and tastes. Perhaps Olympus can't match that yet (I suspect that the EM1 might help somewhat but it is early days) but something around the £-reasonable mark might well tempt a few of us and perhaps a few new folk as well. I know that it isn't an exact analogy but look at car makers' ranges with a small hatchback, a premium hatchback, a compact executive, a nice big saloon etc. They seem to do all right.
Keep your fingers crossed for the much fabled but probably unlikely E7, whether it be micro 4/3rds or 'traditional'.
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

To put things in perspective, you're using a newer camera than my personal cameras and my work supplied camera is an even older Panasonic L1.

David M's Photoblog
The Following User Liked This Post:
IainMacD (28th October 2013)
Old 29th October 2013

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Mike,
Here's my two pen'worth and I broadly agree. It's all well and good offering something with wi-fi, weather sealing and so on but how many of us really need it. Or maybe it's just you and me! If it's raining, I doubt that I'll wander that far in pursuit of photograph.
Weather-sealing? I appreciate that it might be unimportant for some users but for me it's a deal-breaker:

Ciao ... Occasionally soggy John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (29th October 2013)
bilbo (29th October 2013), Chevvyf1 (29th October 2013)
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I agree that every manufacturer would ideally (for the photographer) have a full range from basic to pro. However I don't feel that the E-M1 is overpriced, it does a lot more than the E5 and that retailed at £1500. The only real shortcoming for me is the lack of a pro long telephoto prime, OK I know the 300mm f2.8 works well with this camera but this is a rather unbalanced outfit. I have hopes that Olympus will eventually introduce an appropriate M4/3 long telephoto prime, in the meantime I will continue to use the Canon 400mm L.

David
Old 29th October 2013

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts

I have say I agree with David the E-M1 isn't overpriced, as he states the E-5 was £1500 when it came out and the price didn't drop much over a year after going on sale. The E-M1 is probably the largest jump in technology for the 4/3 user for some time. I was unsure if the camera would meet my needs i.e. work well with the SHG lens, but I have been pleased with the performance. As for weather sealing just what I wanted, this weekend I will be in a forest photographing rally cars the forecast is for rain. I've not missed a rally with the E-5 due to weather concerns so its great the E-M1 is also weather sealed.

An E-5 would still be a good upgrade from your E-520.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to DerekC For This Useful Post:
Old 29th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
The only real shortcoming for me is the lack of a pro long telephoto prime, OK I know the 300mm f2.8 works well with this camera but this is a rather unbalanced outfit. I have hopes that Olympus will eventually introduce an appropriate M4/3 long telephoto prime, in the meantime I will continue to use the Canon 400mm L.

David
Isn't it really a question of physics? A long lens that is also fast will be big and heavy, and so will seem relatively 'unbalanced' on the smaller E-M1 body.
Old 29th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
Isn't it really a question of physics? A long lens that is also fast will be big and heavy, and so will seem relatively 'unbalanced' on the smaller E-M1 body.
Olympus needed a very fast tele back in the days of the E-1 and even with the E-5, but with sensor improvements so great compared to those cameras, smaller and lighter slower lenses are perfectly reasonable. A 300mm f/4 would sell like hot-cakes if the price was right and it would probably be about a kilo in weight, or what about a 400 f/5.6 for about the same weight?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (29th October 2013), Ralph Harwood (30th October 2013), The Technician (29th October 2013)
Old 29th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Olympus needed a very fast tele back in the days of the E-1 and even with the E-5, but with sensor improvements so great compared to those cameras, smaller and lighter slower lenses are perfectly reasonable. A 300mm f/4 would sell like hot-cakes if the price was right and it would probably be about a kilo in weight, or what about a 400 f/5.6 for about the same weight?

Ian
Totally agree. I was just pointing out that fast lenses are de facto heavy. I just hanker after the 300mm f/2.8.