Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 12th December 2016

Liked 3,695 Times in 1,708 Posts
Teleconverts again

Sorry to be thick, but there is a degree of confusion about teleconverters for me anyway.

I have the standard MFT 75-300mm lens, and might be looking to up its game perhaps by a teleconverter............

But can only find converters for the 4/3rds lenses and the MFT pro lenses.

Really cannot afford the pro lenses nor justify them.

Are there any converters for the cattle class lenses?

There would seem to be a gap in the market if not...
Old 12th December 2016

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts
Re: Teleconverts again

This question comes up from time to time - and as far as I can remember nobody has ever come across a converter for MFT (except the one for the 40-150 and 300 pro lenses, which has an extra lug on the mount to make sure it won't fit on any others).

Sorry ... John
Old 12th December 2016

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Another more serious reason why the MC14 only works with the 2 telephoto Pro lenses is that the front of this converter projects beyond it's mounting face and thus protrudes into the body of the lens.
Hence, unless the lens' exit pupil is well set back from it's mounting face the MC14 would impact with the lens.

Also in the case of the MFT 75-300 lens, adding a x1.4 TC would make it half a stop slower leading to difficulties in operation of the AF and taking the combo into the region of image softening due to diffraction. Hence it's unlikely to be a very marketable proposition.
Old 12th December 2016

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Unfortunately, getting longer than 300mm with a native micro-4/3 lens is not going to be cheap. The Oly 75-300mm lens is a decent lens for the price but is not suitable to use with a teleconverter, even if one existed. At 300mm the lens needs to be stopped down to f8 or smaller aperture for decent results. With a 1.4x TC it will become f11 at best. The TC will introduce its own aberrations and so the lens should really be stopped down further to compensate. But then the resolution will be limited by diffraction instead of aberrations. Thus the combo will never be sharp, irrespective of aperture used.

The choices for going longer than 300mm are not legion. If you need AF, I think the only choices are:

Panasonic 100-400mm lens (native micro-4/3)
Olympus 300mm f4 Pro + 1.4 TC (native micro-4/3)
Sigma 50-500mm 4/3 lens with 4/3 to micro-4/3 adapter
Sigma 135-400mm 4/3 lens with 4/3 to micro-4/3 adapter
A Canon EOS-mount lens with the metabones smart adapter.

I suppose the 4/3 Oly 70-300mm lens could be used with the Oly 4/3 1.4x TC. I have now idea how well this would perform in AF terms, but the points I raised at the start will surely apply so I don’t think it will be optically a happy combination.

Some observations:
I have the Sigma 50-500mm and use it with my EM-1. It is quite decently sharp up to 400mm. AF is a bit twitchy even with the EM-1 (even with its phase contrast AF support). I can C-AF racing cars with it but not especially reliably. The lens is huge and heavy. I made an extra long hood for it and that improves contrast a lot. Even so, it is best to keep the sun behind you.

I have no experience of the Sigma 135-400mm lens but would expect the 50-500mm to outperform it in both resolution and AF.

I have the Metabones smart adapter for EOS to micro-4/3 and have used it with the Canon 100-400mm L lens (mark 1). AF performance with the EM-1 is TERRIBLE. Very slow and twitchy unless the focus is nearly correct. I consider it all but unusable. The Sigma 50-500mm 4/3 lens is better. The Metabones adapter gives MUCH better AF with Panasonic cameras. The adapter is not exactly cheap either, and then you have to get an EOS lens to use with it.

If you don’t need AF, there is a huge range of manual focus lenses that can be adapted to micro-4/3. But, to be honest, I have yet to find a 400mm MF lens that works really well with micro-4/3 (this could be my technique of course!!). Colour fringing is a common problem (though this can be corrected in post). Mirror lenses don’t suffer this way but are rarely sharp. I have a Rubinar 500mm f5.6 mirror lens and that does work well (NB this is the f5.6 not f8 lens, which is crap). This is a BIG lens and really hard to focus due to the thin DOF.

Mark
Old 12th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Also in the case of the MFT 75-300 lens, adding a x1.4 TC would make it half a stop slower
A 1.4x TC will make it a whole stop slower. A 2x TC will lose you 2 stops.

Mark
Old 12th December 2016
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
Some observations:
I have the Sigma 50-500mm and use it with my EM-1. It is quite decently sharp up to 400mm. AF is a bit twitchy even with the EM-1 (even with its phase contrast AF support). I can C-AF racing cars with it but not especially reliably. The lens is huge and heavy. I made an extra long hood for it and that improves contrast a lot. Even so, it is best to keep the sun behind you.
Mark
A friend uses this lens on his Pentax - as Mark says it is HUGE and weighs half a ton. He does get good results with it.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 12th December 2016

I forgot two other options (though neither are especially practical). The Olympus SHG 90-250mm and 300mm f2.8 lenses could also be coupled with the 4/3 1.4x TC or 2x TC and used with the 4/3 to micro-4/3 adapter. IIRC Olympus say that you shouldn't use the 4/3 TCs with the micro-4/3 adapter, though I don't know what would happen if you tried. Given the enormous cost of those old SHG lenses, even now, the question is probably moot.

Mark
Old 12th December 2016

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

I brought the 1.4 and 2x telecon for FT system and have always been disappointed with the results did many tests and came to the conclusion that an equivalent crop got the same result. Now I have mFT Pro lenses including the 40-150mm and 300mm I have resisted the hype to get the telecon. I have seen many excellent results on here with it but I still feel they are overated.

I have the 50-500mm bigma also and the lost of light due to the smaller aperture is significant to the extent it is only useful on very very bright lighting.

IMHO you are better off saving for a lens with native reach and as fast as you can afford.

But as one old pro once told me the best telephoto is your 2 legs taking steps forwards using field craft and getting as close without spooking.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 696 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

Are there any converters for the cattle class lenses?

For the cattle class, there is that digital X2 already built into your camera.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Liked This Post:
benvendetta (13th December 2016)
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 325 Times in 134 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

If your pocket is deep enough the best solution, IMHO, is the Panasonic 100-400. It's light for what it is and produces good results as you can see from my earlier posting about our visit to the Kruger in September. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43144

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 3,981 Times in 1,461 Posts

Check out Tord's bird photos with a telescope on this forum.
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I brought the 1.4 and 2x telecon for FT system and have always been disappointed with the results did many tests and came to the conclusion that an equivalent crop got the same result. Now I have mFT Pro lenses including the 40-150mm and 300mm I have resisted the hype to get the telecon. I have seen many excellent results on here with it but I still feel they are overated.
I tend to disagree with this, I have no experience with the x2 but both the EC14 and MC14 produce great results and I can't tell the difference with or without on image quality.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
For the cattle class, there is that digital X2 already built into your camera.
Yep, you can surprisingly good results using this.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts
Unhappy Re: Teleconverts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I tend to disagree with this, I have no experience with the x2 but both the EC14 and MC14 produce great results and I can't tell the difference with or without on image quality.

I actually have all three, and can't tell the difference in image quality with the two 1.4 converters fitted; the 2x is certainly a bit softer on the 300mm F2.8, though of course atmospherics may come into it as the birds are further away.

These comments come with the following caveat; the same lens on its own, and with each individual converter need to have the AF adjust set for each combination to get the best out of it.
I've noticed that it can make quite a difference on the E-5, and there seems little rhyme or reason as to which way the adjustments need to be made for each combination.

I've just checked my E-M1 before posting and noticed that all the readings I so carefully entered have now vanished, so I guess they must have been lost when I did one of the software updates.

Looks like I need to bring my lens tester over to the new house and get everything set up again.

The wires are for an LED pointer to aid setting up.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 13th December 2016

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

You may well be surprised with the built in teleconverter. It does more than just enlarge to image that you see on the screen (a bit of in-camera processing goes on).

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge