Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My photo on front page of Olympus' website.

Hi there, I was really happy to be approached by Olympus for the use of one of my photographs for their new monthly ad campaign. Before I could say yes and agree to the terms my photo was already taken, edited, and being used without credit for their benefit, now day 5 on their front page website.

Can anyone can offer me any advice here? Seems a little wrong to me as I should be benefiting from this and I have given no permission for the to take it, edit and not credit me.

You can see the photo which is on the Olympus impressions page.
http://www.olympus-impressions.com/en/about
Old 5th December 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts
Re: My photo on front page of Olympus' website.

Simply disgraceful behaviour.
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts

Before we all go off at 90mph daggers drawn, lances lowered and senses switched off, would you mind if did a little checking on this - see if it is a mistake, deliberate or otherwise?

The people running this for us are a big social media agency with a project to bring more engagement and encourage more people to take part in sharing great images so it will be annoying if they have missed due process but perhaps it is only fair to see if we can get an explanation.

We would be mad to do this just to upset everyone. Why on earth do you think we would? I am afraid some of the attitudes on here make me seriously consider whether it is worth supporting the forum any more because believe it or not, we pay for this and I do not mind healthy debate or being told (politely) when we get things wrong but in proportion for goodness sake.

It winds me up when people jump in without stopping to think or giving us a chance to look into things.

Let's find out the facts and then discuss if necessary. If we/they have it wrong, we will deal with it. I have raised it with the agency and will look for a reply on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
Simply disgraceful behaviour.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Thackara For This Useful Post:
Iansky (9th December 2013), Mrs T (9th December 2013), Ulfric M Douglas (7th December 2013), Zuiko (6th December 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (6th December 2013)
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thackara View Post
Before we all go off at 90mph daggers drawn, lances lowered and senses switched off, would you mind if did a little checking on this - see if it is a mistake, deliberate or otherwise?

The people running this for us are a big social media agency with a project to bring more engagement and encourage more people to take part in sharing great images so it will be annoying if they have missed due process but perhaps it is only fair to see if we can get an explanation.

We would be mad to do this just to upset everyone. Why on earth do you think we would? I am afraid some of the attitudes on here make me seriously consider whether it is worth supporting the forum any more because believe it or not, we pay for this and I do not mind healthy debate or being told (politely) when we get things wrong but in proportion for goodness sake.

It winds me up when people jump in without stopping to think or giving us a chance to look into things.

Let's find out the facts and then discuss if necessary. If we/they have it wrong, we will deal with it. I have raised it with the agency and will look for a reply on Monday.
Mark,

Hard as it probably is, please don't let this get to you.

I can assure you that your support, efforts and assistance are truly appreciated, it would be a sad day if you stopped supporting and contributing to this forum.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Iansky (9th December 2013), Zuiko (6th December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (6th December 2013), Jim Ford (6th December 2013), PeterBirder (6th December 2013), StephenL (6th December 2013)
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thackara View Post

It winds me up when people jump in without stopping to think or giving us a chance to look into things
Steady on, threatening to close the forum because Olympus did something wrong is a little flippant, that would be like me threatening to seek legal action because of what happened.

I'm a regular contributor to Olympus, an advocate who has been featured in the Olympus magazine a few times so I'm not someone who wants to be on bad terms because of this. This matter of using my image before my terms were agreed is wrong, illegal and not respectful at all to me as a photographer.
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangonthedoortwice View Post
Steady on, threatening to close the forum because Olympus did something wrong is a little flippant, that would be like me threatening to seek legal action because of what happened.

I'm a regular contributor to Olympus, an advocate who has been featured in the Olympus magazine a few times so I'm not someone who wants to be on bad terms because of this. This matter of using my image before my terms were agreed is wrong, illegal and not respectful at all to me as a photographer.
I didn't interpret that part of Mark's post to be directed at you at all - re-inforced by both the post quoted and the specific wording of that sentence.
Old 7th December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I think this thread has a danger of getting out of hand. However, as a Moderator, I am reluctant to close it without further consultation because, in my view, that would amount to censorship, and that's the last thing we want or need.

Mark's comments seem to have been misinterpreted by some of the relative newcomers to this forum who may not be aware just how it works. Mark simply stated that, if the personal sniping were to continue, he (corporately) may have to reconsider Olympus' financial contribution to the forum. He said absolutely nothing about "closing it down". What he would like is fair chance to investigate this matter. And depending on the speed of response of third parties, this may take a wee while.

In cases like this, as I think John (Zuiko) has already stated, individual grievances should be made as a direct approach via PM or email.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (7th December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
sapper (8th December 2013), Zuiko (7th December 2013)
Old 7th December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Indeed you did, John, and thank you.

I was primarily responding as Moderator to the suggestion that the thread be closed.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 5th December 2013

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

This is in fact blatant copyright infringement and they are required by law to ask your permission up front to use the image.

There has been a recent case in the USA where a photographers image from a hosting site was used by an agency, credited to one of their personnel not the copyright owner - he won $2 million dollars (last weeks AP magazine).

Unfortunately, many of the larger companies feel they are above the law and able to "lift and use" photographers photos without seeking their permission, this is not the case and you are well within your rights challenging them on this use especially if they did not credit you or state coyright is yours.

I would suggest that by their actions of asking your permission retrospectively, they are in principle admitting guilt.

Definately worth a letter to them for this infringement and I would ask them for a stylus 1 camera that is the prize they are offering for themed images used - they have already used yours so owe you a camera!

I have to add I am surprised, when Olympus wanted to use one of my images in their magazine they did in fact contact me first and I was happy to oblige.

Please post the results of your challenge so we can see if they have integrity.
Bangonthedoortwice (5th December 2013)
Old 5th December 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Very poor on the part of Olympus. But what with the E-M1 and grip/MMF3 supply problems, perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised.

Where did they lift the image from?

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 5th December 2013

how did Olympus get your image?
Old 5th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Thank you for the reply.

Its terrible really, before this month they asked if they could use the image. Of course being honoured and to receive publication on the front page is a great achievement etc so as we were talking still discussing the terms which I asked but then i found out they had already taken the image and put on the Olympus impressions website, edited, crop and taken the copyright signature from it.

They got in touch days later and told me they would credit me where ever this photo is used, and still nothing, no credit, nothing. I feel robbed.

Ill find the conversation so who ever is interested can see.
Old 5th December 2013

your description suggests this was before you posted it to this forum on your Birds of Prey post, so they saw it on your website and contacted you?
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Subscribing to this, I want to know how it works out in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangonthedoortwice View Post
I feel robbed.
Old 5th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

These are screenshots of the entire convo on OlympusUK fb page. They have just uploaded it on their social media website, still concerned about the front page on their website. Tell me what you think.

This is screen shots in order on convo excluding pics..
Screenshot_2013-12-04-17-38-15.jpg

Screenshot_2013-12-05-13-40-36.jpg

Screenshot_2013-12-05-13-40-41.jpg

Screenshot_2013-12-05-13-40-55.jpg

Screenshot_2013-12-05-13-41-00.jpg
Closed Thread

Tags
competition, impressions, nocturnal, olympus