Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th February 2011

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Question Upcoming dilemma

Anyone help,

My daughters gymnastics event is due in March and I`m panicking about getting some decent shots, I suffered badly last time but had only just got my kit, you can see what I have available from my signature, can anyone advise please,
its indoors with the usual tungsten and sodium lights and no flash allowed,
E3, HLD-4, ED 14-45, ED 40 - 150, ED 70 - 300, 35 Macro, Zuiko 50 -1:8, EC14, FL36, i-shoot remote trigger, RM-CB1, T20, Lightroom 5, Elements 9, Slik 800G Deluxe, Jessops MP223 Monopod, Tamrac Expedition 3, Tamrac System 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-piccys/. Twitter @ian_double_one
Old 18th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Upcoming dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianf View Post
Anyone help,

My daughters gymnastics event is due in March and I'm panicking about getting some decent shots, I suffered badly last time but had only just got my kit, you can see what I have available from my signature, can anyone advise please,
its indoors with the usual tungsten and sodium lights and no flash allowed,
To be honest I think you're going to be hard pressed to get some really good shots without using additional lighting - I've also got an E400.

Can you go to the venue and practice/check raising the ISO until you get a decent/workable shutter speed without too much noise?

Will you be able to use a tripod or a monopod? That might help too.

And 'bump' - more advice/hints needed from those with greater knowledge!
Old 18th February 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

You could hire a fast lens from us like the 150mm f/2...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th February 2011

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

I'm no expert by any means, but I regularly have problems shooting in low light with my e520 and the kit lenses when I can't use flash.

My advice would be to use the highest ISO available and don't fret about the noise! Converting to mono hides a multitude of sins!

Much better to capture what you can rather than miss the occasion.

Hiring a faster lens is a good idea if your funds will run to it.

Don't be too critical either...it's only other photographers who notice things like noise...

Janet

Old 18th February 2011

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

IanF, I hope you don't mind a slight hi jack, but can I put a question to the experts?

Assuming you are stuck with the existing lighting of an indoor location.
Is it always better when relying on indoor lighting to correct on the camera or is it better to shoot RAW and then fix later using Elements or similar?
Old 18th February 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
IanF, I hope you don't mind a slight hi jack, but can I put a question to the experts?

Assuming you are stuck with the existing lighting of an indoor location.
Is it always better when relying on indoor lighting to correct on the camera or is it better to shoot RAW and then fix later using Elements or similar?
Im no expert, but if I was to do this type of photoshoot, I would shoot RAW and worry about the White Balance later as you say in PS, Elements, Lightroom etc

You could miss a vital shot due to trying to get the colour correct in camera, when this is an easy fix later at the computer

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 18th February 2011

I did enquire about a "fast lens hire". just waiting on dates for the comp, to be honest I read a lot of threads on this site I think shooting in RAW comes up a lot so I was going down that line anyway and correct in photoshop.
E3, HLD-4, ED 14-45, ED 40 - 150, ED 70 - 300, 35 Macro, Zuiko 50 -1:8, EC14, FL36, i-shoot remote trigger, RM-CB1, T20, Lightroom 5, Elements 9, Slik 800G Deluxe, Jessops MP223 Monopod, Tamrac Expedition 3, Tamrac System 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-piccys/. Twitter @ian_double_one
Old 18th February 2011

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I guess that if you find that there is too little light, you could always used a tripod/support and "add a sense of motion" by creatively exploiting the slower shutter speeds you may have. I appreciate that this does not work if everybody wants a shot of themselves frozen in action.

If you are using RAW, as suggested then you could try and knock the exposure compensation down a bit, too. This may lead to underexposed black bits in the background but it will speed up the shutter speed by 1/3 EV at least. Just adjust the exposure compensation later.

Nick
Old 18th February 2011

I`m actually in the process of sorting a monopod out, {tripod will be more difficult to use in a packed gym,
Thanks for the tip on exposure
Old 18th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianf View Post
I did enquire about a "fast lens hire". just waiting on dates for the comp, to be honest I read a lot of threads on this site I think shooting in RAW comes up a lot so I was going down that line anyway and correct in photoshop.
The E400 RAW files are quite big (20+Mb), so make sure you've got a decent sized memory card. Also, if you're likely to be shooting 'burst' you need to have quite a fast card otherwise the camera's buffer memory may not cope.

I've just read your thread from last October http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11198 .. it looks as if you were shooting Shutter Priority. It'd be worth trying Aperture Priority instead. Set the aperture then rack up the ISO until you get a fairly fast shutter speed, but accept that you aren't likely to be able to 'freeze' action in a gym without additional lighting. Possibly 'continuous auto focus' might help too, especially if you're panning.

But, if you were getting good results using auto why not check the EXIF for the good ones and imitate the settings?
Old 18th February 2011

Thumbs up Re: Upcoming dilemma

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for the info, never crossed my mind to use "aperture priority", I have 3 good sized cf cards to cope with the file size, and apart from one part of her floor exercise and her vault I wont need continuous focus,
Its all a learning curve for me but I must say I`m enjoying it,