Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 30th June 2019

Liked 3,139 Times in 890 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
May I ask about your settings there - CAF alone, how many focus points, lock setting? Also, what drive FPS?
These are the settings which I used. They might not be the best choice but they are what I have arrived at presently.

C-AF (not tracking); Silent Shutter, Sequential Low 10fps; C-AF Centre Priority; C-AF Sensitivity +1; 25 focus points (I am very pleased they have included this now. Fewer points are probably better if you are skilful enough to keep them on the subject, which I am not!); S-IS Auto (I would turn it off but as it cannot be saved in Custom Settings I would probably forget to turn it on again for S-AF shots).

This shot was taken with Shutter Priority 1/2000 sec at F5.6. Auto ISO. Range selector switch on lens 4m-∞.

I would be interested to hear what settings other people are using. It would be good if we could have a dedicated thread for this (maybe a 'sticky') to compare settings which work for them.

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (1st July 2019)
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I would be interested to hear what settings other people are using. It would be good if we could have a dedicated thread for this (maybe a 'sticky') to compare settings which work for them.
Ron
Great Barn Owl shots Ron!

I think the C-AF is improved a lot especially with the C-AF Centre Priority and C-AF Centre start options. I've turn both of these on and now use either the new 5x5 focus points or all-points for bird flight shots. I'm finding it easier to get in focus shots of birds in flight with backgrounds like reedbeds and trees. I used to find the focus would nearly always hit something in the background using "all points" or a small 3x3 grid or 5 point cross but with v3.0 FW it seems to have more success locking on. The 5x5 option is really good for this too as it gives you Centre Priority and more focus points to aim at the bird.

One thing I have found is that with C-AF "all points" and the "centre start" thing set, you need to know where the centre focus point is. The view finder grid I had set in the EVF does not show this so I have set to the "cross hairs" grid (like a sniper rifle view seen in films..). The 5x5 grid on the other hand shows where the focus points are.

Another setting I use is the C-AF limiter. I have put this on my LN-FN switch (lens function) for the 300mm F4 and left the lens limiter hard switch on the infinity range. Then when sitting in a bird hide use PRE-MF to find the distance to the background you don't want to confuse focus and set up some ranges you can quickly switch between on LN-FN with a dial. I really wish they would display the focus distance as an EVF option or show it on the image playback (it is recorded in EXIF) making it easier to set this up!

I've spent a week in Suffolk around various reserves trying out the v3.0 FW. I had some limited success with Hobbies flying in front of the Bittern hide at Minsmere but still challenging with heat haze and not enough shutter speed.

I need to experiment more with the settings - there are so many! I'm conflicted between using A-mode and S-mode too for things like fast flying birds - mostly use aperture priority before and upped the ISO if I wanted a higher shutter speed.

Here is an example of one of the Hobby shots - a cropped image of a Hobby flying past at about 110m distance using 300mm F4 and MC-14 (a bit fuzzy due to heat haze and too slow shutter speed I think and also need to get closer):

Hobby - cropped by Bill Dennis, on Flickr
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BDennis For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (1st July 2019), MJ224 (30th June 2019), Olybirder (30th June 2019), pault (1st July 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
JohnGG (5th July 2019), Keith-369 (30th June 2019), Miketoll (30th June 2019), MJ224 (30th June 2019), pault (1st July 2019)
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
These are the settings which I used. They might not be the best choice but they are what I have arrived at presently.

C-AF (not tracking); Silent Shutter, Sequential Low 10fps; C-AF Centre Priority; C-AF Sensitivity +1; 25 focus points (I am very pleased they have included this now. Fewer points are probably better if you are skilful enough to keep them on the subject, which I am not!); S-IS Auto (I would turn it off but as it cannot be saved in Custom Settings I would probably forget to turn it on again for S-AF shots).

This shot was taken with Shutter Priority 1/2000 sec at F5.6. Auto ISO. Range selector switch on lens 4m-∞.

Ron
Almost what I have but use +2 and set ISO -SS -Aperture manually .and electronic shutter most of the time
Rob.
The Following User Says Thank You to GyRob For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (30th June 2019)
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Cracking shot, Ron.

May I ask about your settings there - CAF alone, how many focus points, lock setting? Also, what drive FPS?

I had an hour shooting dragonflies amid water and reeds, and overhead buzzards on Friday, and I formed the impression that initial acquisition of focus and holding of focus was a notch better against clear sky (all points CAF, 15fps, -2). Bursts of images gave a high proportion in focus.

However, following the insects flying in front of reeds wasn't any different, although initial acquisition was maybe quicker (9 point, other settings unchanged). Unfortunately I didnít have time to try the latter test with lock at zero or even +1, which might have been better.

Trouble is, this sort of test is highly variable and subjective, influenced by all sorts of one-off variables and settings (and by hope!). Over time we will build up more of an accurate idea, but of course our individual skills improve naturally over time as well.

I am going back to the buzzard/dragonfly site next week, so I shall try to continue the test.

BTW Paul (Walti) would you be free any days next week and interested to join me? The pools are near Barton.
Would love to join you. I think you have my mobile number... ends 9732. Text/phone!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts

From what I can understand, if there are issues post update it is worth doing a factory reset and restoring settings.

The list of post update issues and the ones I had were definitely removed by the reset. (Full reset).

All my lenses defenately focus better post update as well - including some that “have issues” according to others!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Not had much chance to try out C-AF which is my main interest but the other day I took some video of my wife riding a black and white horse so she could see her riding technique which should help her to improve. Now I know virtually nothing about video, just point, focus and shoot but my understanding is that the new firmware should give improved locking onto and following of a moving subject but it still seems to jump focus from the subject (which should be ideal being fairly large in the viewfinder and of high contrast) to the background. As I say I do not really know what I am doing with video or know what to expect in comparison to other cameras but I am rather disappointed. The lens I was using was the 12-100 Pro on a bright sunny day.
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Not had much chance to try out C-AF which is my main interest but the other day I took some video of my wife riding a black and white horse so she could see her riding technique which should help her to improve. Now I know virtually nothing about video, just point, focus and shoot but my understanding is that the new firmware should give improved locking onto and following of a moving subject but it still seems to jump focus from the subject (which should be ideal being fairly large in the viewfinder and of high contrast) to the background. As I say I do not really know what I am doing with video or know what to expect in comparison to other cameras but I am rather disappointed. The lens I was using was the 12-100 Pro on a bright sunny day.
Do you know which focus points you had selected? All of them perhaps? Try reducing it to say 3x3 and try to keep the camera aimed at her.
Old 1st July 2019

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I did keep the camera aimed at her but I am not sure how many focus points were activated. I had taken some stills with five points activated but that does not necessarily carry over to video does it. Hey-ho, I'll check next time.
Old 1st July 2019

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did keep the camera aimed at her but I am not sure how many focus points were activated. I had taken some stills with five points activated but that does not necessarily carry over to video does it. Hey-ho, I'll check next time.
By default, video would be using all AF targets, C-AF. The latest addition of 5x5 AF targets might be a good option, depending on how close you are to her & how much of the frame area she & the horse would take up. If she appears smaller in the frame then 3x3 could be better so long as you keep them in the centre of the frame.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2nd July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
By default, video would be using all AF targets, C-AF. The latest addition of 5x5 AF targets might be a good option, depending on how close you are to her & how much of the frame area she & the horse would take up. If she appears smaller in the frame then 3x3 could be better so long as you keep them in the centre of the frame.
I have realised I'm not completely sure how the AF target settings work with video, as there is nothing in the menu other than a choice of C-AF and S-AF. Does it simply use whatever the focus points setting is when you press the red button?
Old 2nd July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
I have realised I'm not completely sure how the AF target settings work with video, as there is nothing in the menu other than a choice of C-AF and S-AF. Does it simply use whatever the focus points setting is when you press the red button?
It gives: (as seen in the list in the camera's video menu)
S-AF
C-AF
(default)
MF
S-AF+MF
C-AF+MF
Preset MF

I don't know if the C-AF Center Start & C-AF Center Priority (with that incorrect US spelling) in the stills menu also affects video or not. Maybe it does.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 2nd July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
It gives: (as seen in the list in the camera's video menu)
S-AF
C-AF
(default)
MF
S-AF+MF
C-AF+MF
Preset MF

I don't know if the C-AF Center Start & C-AF Center Priority (with that incorrect US spelling) in the stills menu also affects video or not. Maybe it does.

Yes, but what about one normal, one small, cross, 3x3, 5x5, All?
Old 2nd July 2019

Liked 704 Times in 373 Posts

I still cannot AF the milky-way :{

All my garbage so far.
Old 2nd July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
I still cannot AF the milky-way :{
Try shining a powerful torch on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (4th July 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (2nd July 2019), Ross the fiddler (2nd July 2019)
Old 2nd July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
Yes, but what about one normal, one small, cross, 3x3, 5x5, All?
So far I can only select Single, Single small & then All in video. No 3x3 or 5x5.