Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 29th December 2015

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Re: sale of goods

I would bite the bullet on this one. It was probably overpriced at 20 if you'd bought it before Christmas from a garden centre. If it was from a reputable manufacturer / or electrical retailer you might expect a longer life (and perhaps to have paid more).

What bugged me this month was I'd been waiting for Boots to reduce the price of an Phillips electric toothbrush from 250 to 125 which they do quite regularly. My previous one died after perhaps three years of everyday use, I thought that was perhaps a little young, but I did get good value at 10p per day. Anyway, Boots had a "this weekend only reduction to 125", so I bought a new one. Then 13 days later they did a Black Friday down to 89. It's now back at the 125 sale price. I complained by email and they just said that prices vary.
Old 29th December 2015

Liked 970 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Hi, back in 2010 I had problems with my then Sony computer which i purchased in 2008 I paid over 1200 being new to computers I even paid out for an extended guarantee, thus making the guarantee time 2 yrs. after 2 yrs and 2 months the hard drive packed up and the Sony shop wanted to charge me a 65 check up fee up front that was non refundable to repair or replace the hard drive and if they found a non fault ( manufacture) I would have to pay the rest for the repair of which they the shop would charge. I paid 80 for a private repair and memory upgrade and got it fixed only for it to break down a further six months down the line with the motherboard packing up.
I then switched to apple and havent looked back! Since then I have never ever bought anything Sony.
That includes their cameras.

I did however have a nice experience in jessops last week when the Olympus rep said hello and asked how I was, he remembered me from a previous encounter.
He also remembered my interest in fungi photography how nice was that!
Kind regards mike.
I remember hearing something similar to this some time ago.
Re Apple, I had over 1000 worth of repairs on my iMac early this year, free, didn't cost me a penny, so I still shop there and recommend Apple to anyone who listens
Old 29th December 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

From the description 'rope light' I guess it has lots of lights, possibly LEDs. Either wired in series, or parrellel arrangements of lights in series. You could probe with a volt meter (whilst live) using sharp pointed probe leads to find out where the discontinuity has occurred, then fix it, eg bypassing the faulty LED.

By contrast, if a 2 year old camera packed in, what would I do if the normal 12 month warranty had expired. Personnally, I'd either pay for it to be repaired, or suffer the loss and think carefully about buying from the same manufacturer. But in the case of a string of lights, 2 years is a long time for low cost consumer electronics, not designed to last.

on flickr
Old 29th December 2015

Liked 970 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
From the description 'rope light' I guess it has lots of lights, possibly LEDs. Either wired in series, or parrellel arrangements of lights in series. You could probe with a volt meter (whilst live) using sharp pointed probe leads to find out where the discontinuity has occurred, then fix it, eg bypassing the faulty LED.

By contrast, if a 2 year old camera packed in, what would I do if the normal 12 month warranty had expired. Personnally, I'd either pay for it to be repaired, or suffer the loss and think carefully about buying from the same manufacturer. But in the case of a string of lights, 2 years is a long time for low cost consumer electronics, not designed to last.
A few people have said that they are not designed to last. Well, no, not forever, but two Christmases don't seem long enough for me. The other one I bought at the same time still works, another light I got five years ago still works.
I suppose my gripe is the attitude of the owner, but he has lost a customer because of his attitude.
Old 29th December 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
A few people have said that they are not designed to last. Well, no, not forever, but two Christmases don't seem long enough for me. The other one I bought at the same time still works, another light I got five years ago still works.
I suppose my gripe is the attitude of the owner, but he has lost a customer because of his attitude.
The way you were dealt with by the retailer doesn't help. Ironically he's potentially lost more than if he had offered a token gesture, e.g. a 10 voucher to spend in his store, which in real terms would cost him next to nothing.

on flickr
Old 29th December 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU."

See: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...ty-EU-law.html

Worth a try?
--------------------------