Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,027 Posts
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,124 Posts
Re: Best tablet to use with an EM1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
I think this may be a bit overstated. Install Photo Transfer App on iPad and you only need web browser on PC or Mac - no software required on desktop/laptop and done wirelessly.

I bought an iPad rather than Samsung albeit nearly 2 years ago because photo support seemed so much better supported on the former. It is of course, more than likely that Android has improved in the interim.

What do you want to use the tablet for? Until you have answered that question it is impossible to make a recommendation.
Thanks for that, but I don't want to mess with WiFi or web transfer when all I want is to connect by cable or card & that is what android can at least do.

EDIT: I can't say too much against the iPad as I was given mine this year for a certain significant birthday by my family.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
Phill D (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That's fine except Android or iPad/iPhone are suited for Olympus iShare but PCs aren't, unless you use this program to run it. http://www.digitalkamera.de/Fototipp...trol/9024.aspx
arghhh ! Phill, no sale of tablet
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Phill D (9th December 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,295 Posts
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,109 Posts

No problem Chevvy I wouldn't want to deprive you of it but thanks for the offer, that was very nice of you.
Thanks to everyone for the info, this forum is brilliant, those replies were just what I was looking for. So why do I want a Tablet? well since the rest of the family seems to be glued to a little apple screen at most times of the day I thought I'd better join in . No not really but it does seem a bit like that at times. To be honest Huw's & Chevvy's first post have pretty much captured why I was thinking of buying a tablet. I was looking for a lightweight solution to reviewing, showing and saving backup images taken during holidays. I have an old Samsung notebook pc that has done sterling service for several years but it's now very slow and the screen keeps blanking out in certain positions. Hence, thinking about a replacement. That ASUS laptop seems like quite a good idea John but it's a bit heavier than I'd like. Really good value though even though it's only in pink, white or blue. So internet surfing and keeping up on here, viewing images and possibly a bit of quick editing. I also quite fancied trying a bit of impromptu sketching with the s-pen. It's probably not much more than a gimmick but it sounds quite clever and I think I'd prefer to use a stylus rather than my fingers anyway. Looks like PC world had some great Samsung offers on recently (2014 version for 279) but they are all sold out so I'll keep on looking. Don't really feel justified in spending more than 300 on this, less if possible.
Greytop (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

I use a Nexus 7. 2013 tablet it works well with ishare. Better still I got it free with my nexus 5 phone!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Phill D (9th December 2014)
Old 9th December 2014

Sounds like a bargain Ed. I'm afraid I want a larger display & I had considered a Nexus 10. It's that s pen on the Samsung that's tipping the balance at the moment though.
Old 9th December 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Phill, your quite right this 4M is brilliant for many reasons
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Phill D (10th December 2014)
Old 10th December 2014

Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts

I've tried several Android devices with the Olympus app and they all worked fine (phone, 7" tablet, 10.1" tablet).

Have to disagree about Samsung support for the Galaxy Note 10.1. I bought the original 2012 version (there's a newer 2014 model now). It originally came with Android 4 and there was an early update to Android 4.1.2. Then there were two years of no updates when it did, indeed, seem as though Samsung had abandoned their flagship tablet, especially when the 2014 model came out. However, about 2-3 months ago, Samsung released Android KitKat (4.4.2), bringing the tablet bang up to date.

When the Note was first released it got a lot of flak for not having a hi-res screen (to compete with Apple's "retina" displays) - I have to say it's never been an issue as far as I'm concerned. The display is very good in my opinion - perfectly adequate for anything I've done on it.

Steve.
The Following User Says Thank You to raichea For This Useful Post:
Old 10th December 2014

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Phil!

I use one of these :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCHOS-101...ht_1571wt_1203

which I own by default (the kids saved up their own money last year to buy one each when they were £99, but one got damaged and so I repaired it myself and bought another for my daughter).

It will happily run the olympus app and has an SD micro slot so you can add 64Gb of extra storage. The screen is 1280 by 720 pixels which is high enough resolution for me and the colours don't seem too bad. You can also mount an external usb hard disk for large storage, although I haven't tried it yet. A built in HDMI micro socket makes it easy to attach to a modern TV as well for showing in higher definition (it does support the new 4k TVs).

Build quality isn't Apple or Sony (I really want the Xperia tablet) but for the price isn't too bad (they originally sold for £250+) and they have survived over a year with enthusiatic use by a 7 year old and 9 year old!

With regard to Samaung build quality, my wifes galaxy s4 zoom camera phone developed a screen fault after 4 months having been carefully cared for, always in a case and never dropped, but Samsung (via carphone warehouse) refused to repair it because "it must have been dropped" - infact it seemed like a quality control issue with the LCD as it started to bleed at the bottom of the screen and within hours had gone totally black. She has also had an S3 to replace it which she did drop, but the glass smashed into a thousand pieces when other phones we have had have successfully bounced from that height (the LCD was fine though). I tried to replace the glass as I have successfully done many ( well at least half a dozen) times before and when the new glass was on the LCD refused to light up. I then had to replace the whole assembly. So I am understandably not happy to endorse samsung products!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Old 10th December 2014

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

I purchased a tablet a short while ago but as I only have an E-M5 I can't comment on the WiFi connection to the camera. The Samsung 10.1 (2014) at PC World was high up on my list and was probably the best thay had looking at all the models. In the end I went for an Asus TF701t (mail order) because it came with an excellent keyboard that housed a second battery and USB 3 slot (along with the micro SD & HDMI on the detachable touch screen). If I didn't need the keyboard it would have been the Samsung.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (11th December 2014)
Old 10th December 2014

That's another option I'd not considered OM thank you. Now for more research.
Old 11th December 2014

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: Best tablet to use with an EM1?

Hi Phil

i recently purchased one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/3099331.htm from Argos, as they were doing a 20 voucher at the time, and Linx the company are also offering 50 cashback on the tablet for your old one, which i've sent back, so for me it was a no brainer. The other Windows 8.1 tablet i've seen is this Zoom Plex
Zoostorm Plex Detachable 10.1-inch Tablet (Intel Celeron N2807 1.58GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, Windows 8.1 Bing): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories Zoostorm Plex Detachable 10.1-inch Tablet (Intel Celeron N2807 1.58GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, Windows 8.1 Bing): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

it has double the storage space and the touchpad looks like it has buttons where as mine doesnt.

Windows 8.1 with bing is the full Windows 8, which am still getting used too but it seems like a decent enough tablet/laptop replacement, cant really comment on Wifi with the EM1 as i only own an EM5.

Hope this is of some help

The Following User Says Thank You to linus1884 For This Useful Post:
Phill D (11th December 2014)
Old 11th December 2014

Ah yet another option, they both look pretty good value to me... wish I was decisive
Old 12th December 2014

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I avoided tablets till I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 soon after it came out. The screen is stunning, and very high-res. Photos look fantastic, and type is very sharp in browsers. I haven't tried editing anything on it apart from a quick play in Snapseed. LR Android is coming, but mainly aimed at phones. The screen has various settings, from the default eye-bleeding one, to Photo, which covers most of aRGB, rare in tablets, and is very accurate on colours. Basic mode is an accurate sRGB mode.

I've been very pleased with it for browsing photos. I've just discovered QuickPic, a nice, clean, simple, free Android browser. Great with Chrome for web browsing, and excellent for iPlayer etc. It's not cheap, but I got it from John Lewis with a 3 year warranty thrown in. The Samsung Book Cover is very high quality, versatile, and expensive!

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Clarke For This Useful Post:
Phill D (12th December 2014)
Old 12th December 2014

That's interesting Bruce and good to know. There seem to be several Samsung tablets that are very similar at the moment The Tab3, the Tab S, the Note 10.1, the Note Pro 10.1, and the Note 10.1-P600 & the LTE version. Plus there are some great offers on ebay for the 2013 model especially when refurbished. Quite a bewildering choice really for what seems like the same thing on the face of it. I've decided I'm going to get one of them but not sure which one yet. More research over the weekend if that's not too late to still get one at a reasonable price for Christmas. Wish I'd seen the PC World offers earlier
Old 12th December 2014

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Yes, Samsung don't do themselves any favours with the confusing profusion of models. It depends if you want something cheap that does a basic job, or something that excels at screen quality, making photos and text a joy to view. I'm only interested in the latter, and the AMOLED screen on the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is hard to beat with its 2560x1600 resolution (the newer 12 inch ones are the same resolution). Most cheap tablets are pretty low-res, and text looks horrid on them. I went to PC world to compare. The Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition was great for browsing, with very sharp text, but the LCD screen is less good for photos, and the naff 'stitching' on the back put me off. They have the Tab S for £379 (plus £50 cashback) with the simple flip cover at the mo, though I prefer the book cover for the various configurations. There are loads of reviews, but this one covers the Tab S screen in detail with gamma tests etc:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/s...iew-105-84inch

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/