Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 6th July 2008
scanny

Re: Two British GP tickets up for grabs!

Well a strange race today, i wouldn’t have thought Hekki would have been so off the pace after yesterday with Lewis admitting he would struggle to keep up. The two honda's sounded horrendous yesterday at very least the exhaust was tuned to the wrong frequency, but a good win for Lewis.

So to yesterday......im still smiling!
We stayed in Thurlaston with relatives so a short drive to Northampton in the morning, after we had to clean the eggs of the car, the lovely local affluent youths!

A rainy arrival so we had a brisk walk to the Paddock Club area and into the Mclaren Marquee, where on arrival we were give a goodie bag (a jacket, hat, keyring- the same stuff they sell at autosport for a princely sum!). We got shown to the olympus table and met Abi, she was an excellent host and fun. Breakfast was fit for a king then Hekki made an appearance. It was then out to the grandstand to watch morning practice in the damp, the location made excellent viewing for the cars loosing the rear and struggling to hold it. The Ferraris looked unsettled, Honda sounded horrid and the toro roso sounded like the gods of thunder!

Next up was an air display with a squadron of helicopters, i must admit its the first time ive seen an apache do a loop the loop before! That was special. The porsche cup guys were out next then after a few glasses of champagne it was off to the pit walk.

I spent that long ogling over the ferraris that the walk was over and i hadn’t seen the Malaren’s yet, however Abi told us to meet back in the afternoon and she would get us both into the pit!

It was drying of for qualifying so it became oh so much harder to get pictures! Kimmi played with the teams then set a blistering lap as he does, lewis going of livened it all up then Hekki got pole.

Now for lunch and wow, the food was delightful and more champagne! I could get used to this!

We watched the Gp2 on the screens in the marquee then Abi took us off to the Mclaren pit. The walk behind the paddock was interesting bumping into Kubica outside Bmw then Webber as we entered Mclarens pit. Instead of taking the "memories" pictures i was engrossed in the aero shrouds off the front wheels and the suspension arrangement on Hekki's car that was just back from park fermé. Cue lots of engineering shots of any parts that had been left in view and in particular the tyres and the horrid early graining on the used sets.

A great day was had by both of us, with getting into the pit rounding it off perfectly. Hopefully ill be there again next year in a working capacity next year once i graduate! This day should add some colour to my cv cover letters hopefully.

Unfortunately i can't compete with Ian’s excellent panned shots, my 510 with 50-200 was overwhelmed with the speed, however ill post some ones up in my gallery this week as i convert them, or if anyone wants some from in the pit ill happily share them
Old 6th July 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts
Re: Two British GP tickets up for grabs!

Nice pix, scanny - and don't think too highly of my panned shots - 99% of them were rejects - I've only shown the reasonable ones

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com