Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th July 2019

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Repairing Nitecore P10

Now I think that I should have taken some pics aswell

All started last year when I found Nitecore P10 on a sidewalk when my dog took me for a walk after I arrived home from a party. I think it was 2am or something like that and he just used my mental (non-sober) state for his advantage (not the first time thou). Before that I had some xenon flashes and couple of cheap LED flashes but this one was wow - really bright. I wasnt able to find an owner for that so it just stayed with me until one day it fell off from a shelf (ca 1.8m) to floor stones and stop working. I tried to use the other flashes but they were just so dim after this so I ended up getting myself a new Nitecore. Back at home I was thinking that ok I will throw it away anyways so let's see what's in the bear stomach (a sentence we use around here when we are curious about the inside of things).

At first it opens up to 3 pieces - endcup/power button, battery barrel and the light. I tried to look from google how to open up the light piece with no luck. Only thing I found was that the bottom contact from the bulb should come off but I was not able to do that in the way it was shown. Eventually I just decided to apply brutal force to the outer shell of the bulb. To my surprise it started to open up. Screwing it open i was able to access the LED element. Luckily I noticed a small plastic guide falling off from reflector that centers the element. Now I started to dig from that side forward. At first soldered open positive and negative leads so I was able to remove the element. As the circuit board seemed to be somewhere lower I hoped that the screw next to the LED plate would open it up but it was there just to hold the element in place. The surface below the LED plate was covered with thermal crease so I hoped to find another screw or something from there but again without any luck. So it was again time for some force. I placed a screwdriver through the hole from where the leads came through and knocked it a bit. By magic the plate with the battery contact popped open from the other side. Then I saw what was the issue aswell. On the circuit board there was a coil winding that had broken lose. as it was free standing I placed a little doublesided tape below it to support it and soldered it back where it should be. Now everything back together. The first pain was to get the short leads back to the LED plate as the space there is really small. Next issue was to get the LED plate into the right position so it would be center to the reflector. In the end of the day it got together and working and gave the torch to my little girl to have fun in the dark winter nights.

Why I'm writing this is because today I found the torch not working again and after opening it up the coil was broken lose again. So there are couple of possibilities - the circuit bard has terrible design, my solder was bad, my children have dropped it again.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (7th July 2019), OM USer (7th July 2019)
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 93 Times in 53 Posts
Re: Repairing Nitecore P10

Try sticking it down with a dab of bath sealant under the coil. Bath sealant is a good insulator and will take shocks(impacts) better than tape.
David
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

What is so special about a Nitecore torch - just asking...
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 210 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
What is so special about a Nitecore torch - just asking...
Nothing special really, just the inflated price. Probably a good well made item if you are willing to pay around £60 for a small torch.

Jax
Old 8th July 2019

Liked 708 Times in 481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Nothing special really, just the inflated price. Probably a good well made item if you are willing to pay around £60 for a small torch.

Jax
Doesn’t sound too well made to me!