Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 16th December 2018

Liked 723 Times in 483 Posts
Re: November 2018 Challenge: Weather

Well done Jim for winning with a wonderful shot, and everybody else for making so hard to choose!

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (17th December 2018)
Old 17th December 2018

Liked 685 Times in 361 Posts

Well done Jim.

All my garbage so far.
Old 17th December 2018

Liked 1,515 Times in 749 Posts

I have been asked by Mark to make a few comments on all the entrants for the November Challenge - Weather.

I have never been a member of a photographic club and therefore not familiar with what the regulars / experts are looking for. For many a lot of weather photography is opportunistic having their camera with them when a fleeting event happens. For some it is planned when they know the location and are confident of capturing a good, all be it changing, scene.
I have never done this before so please don’t expect too much. - here goes:

Paul - Forest Rain

The impenetrable trees of the forest standing vertical and the angled heavy rain creates a very imposing image that makes you shiver.

Steve
The monochrome treatment overall brings out the drama of the lonely tree in a field of stubble against imposing skies.

Larry - Gisborne
Captured the fleeting moment of the sun rays breaking through the clouds on an overcast day. The tiny trees on the horizon give perspective.

Jim - Charmouth

Your eyes are drawn to the isolated character standing on the beach facing the storm. Its only friends being the three seagulls. The light catching the spray adds drama to the overall image. I wonder what the person is thinking?

Chris - Valley Inversion

Captures a brief moment in time. Very peaceful and calm.The hills in the background give depth. Whats beneath the clouds I wonder.

ChiaroScuro - boat all alone

Becalmed and lost in the mist. Captured the perfect reflection on the still water. Not a ripple to be seen. Very peaceful feeling.

Phil - Rainbow

Not one, not two but three rainbows in the shot. The reflection in the pond perfectly framed. Lovely colours overall, I can even see where the pot of gold is buried.

Mark - Its Raining Its Pouring

Determination , it will stop soon. I am going to watch this event and don’t care about the weather.

Barr1e - Storm Brewing

Very dramatic. The sailing boat strikes a lonely chord. The light as it strikes the sea creates great contrast. Monochrome works well and adds to the drama.

Stoates - Hugging the hill

The chances of catching this are so remote. The title says it all perfect shot. The lonely little house might be where the pot of gold is. The way the sky is dark above the rainbow and light below really works well.

Hruissen - raindrops in a puddle

Well spotted and captured, nature doing its thing. Circles within circles. Need to get your wellies on to look at this.

Scottwin - playing with a view

Title says it all, empty playground , it’s certainly going to rain and the children are inside keeping dry.

Blue-by-u - its snowing

Captures the feeling of seeing something special . She seems very happy and to be enjoying the moment.

OM USer - Nene Valley Railway

Whats in the tunnel ahead. Cant see because of the rain. The framing in the carriage window works well with the track leading your eyes to the tunnel.

alfbranch - Wasdale hailstorm

The light on the distant mountain tops emphasise the cold
Monochrome helps bring out the stark environment.. Brrr

Rebnats - Weather Vane

Reminds people that whatever the weather the RNLI are prepared and ready to help.
Love the close up framing.

My Flickr
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (18th December 2018), chris (17th December 2018), Darkroom (17th December 2018), DavidB (17th December 2018), MJ224 (17th December 2018), OM USer (17th December 2018), Rebnats (18th December 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (18th December 2018), DavidB (17th December 2018), MJ224 (17th December 2018), OM USer (17th December 2018)
Old 17th December 2018

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,626 Posts

Thanks Dave. You are NOW an expert....

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (17th December 2018)