Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,816 Times in 1,762 Posts
Clearing RAM app.............

On occasions, the computer slows down and almost becomes unusable. This often occurs after using programmes such as Photoshop, and today after using Recuva.

I am assuming the RAM is clogged up with data from these sort of programmes.

Having googled the subject, there are several apps that purport to clear RAM, including using Notebook to produce some sort of command.

Any suggestions that have been tried and work would be appreciated.

My only alternative is to reboot, which takes quite some time. I have 8Gb of RAM

TIA

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,594 Times in 787 Posts
Re: Clearing RAM app.............

Adobe apps are notorious at eating lots of memory. Lightroom if not prevented by setting preferences is constantly searching your photos doing face recognition and who knows what. I have a small program that shows the network and CPU activity and memory usage in real-time and Adobe apps are always there. Creative Cloud is a pain.

That said these days 8GB is not a lot of RAM for a PC. My mobile phone has 8GB of RAM.

My iMac has 16GB.

Once all memory is used the system begins swapping and really slows down.

Adding a further 8GB to your PC is not expensive these days.

Clean My PC is a great program for keeping your system like new, highly recommended.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts

I am running photoshop CC on windows 10 with 8gb of ram and its not enough, photoshop sometimes crashes when i am doing an subject select.

Just an interesting point its been a while since i deleted cookies i had 1.3gb before i did it, argos had 221mb, i know its not ram related but it shows you need to keep things tidy.
The Following User Says Thank You to mik For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

I use CCleaner aka 'Crap Cleaner' which is free for the basic model. It has a few nice touches that clears various parts of the system and allows programs to be removed if required. I run it every time I shut down and am ofter amazed at the rubbish that accumulates.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago), shotokan101 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Clean My PC is a great program for keeping your system like new, highly recommended.
An alternative viewpoint: https://www.howtogeek.com/162683/pc-...ed-up-your-pc/

Worth a read even if you don't agree with his opinions.

Jax
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
jdal (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts

Please remember that whatever you do .... if you have an SSD, do NOT defrag it. SSD's should be left alone to do their own thing,

Just a thought, it's easy to read all the stuff and give it a go.

The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,404 Times in 1,584 Posts

You need an SSD. Virtual memory is written to and read from the hard disk, which takes a long time if you have a spinning disk. An SSD will speed up that process 100 fold for very little cost. Additional RAM would help, (16 GB is probably optimum), but the speed of reading and writing to an SSD is so much faster it is probably the best upgrade you can buy.

Even the latest i9 with 32 GB of RAM would be slow with a spinning hard drive.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,594 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
An alternative viewpoint: https://www.howtogeek.com/162683/pc-...ed-up-your-pc/

Worth a read even if you don't agree with his opinions.

Jax
Just to be very clear the program Jax referred to in the link above is NOT repeat NOT the one I referred to. The name is similar but it's not the same.
The one I recommended can be obtained from the link below and is excellent.
It's developed by a company called Macpaw they do a version for Macs and one for PC's.

https://macpaw.com

Don't fall into the spamware trap.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Just to be very clear the program Jax referred to in the link above is NOT repeat NOT the one I referred to. The name is similar but it's not the same.
The one I recommended can be obtained from the link below and is excellent.
It's developed by a company called Macpaw they do a version for Macs and one for PC's.

Yes, lets be very clear ! The link I posted for interest value, as it relates to the discussion in this thread, takes you to a site called "How To Geek" and an article entitled PC Cleaning Apps are a Scam: Here’s Why (and How to Speed Up Your PC) .... not to any specific program.

It's a very interesting article regarding the pros and cons of disk cleaners and whether we really need to purchase them or not. Yes, it does quote an item of software with a similar name to the one Dave recommended. It also includes comments on Windows Disk Cleaner and CCleaner and makes a few more interesting points.

The opinion of the author is that disk cleaners are worthless when Windows has it's own built in cleaner that does the same job and also that CCleaner is the industry standard if you really feel the need to clean up the registry.

The free version of CCleaner is used and recommended world wide and is frequently updated whereas the pc cleaner produced by MacPaw is free to download but then costs $39.95 per annum for 1 pc licence or $59.95 for 2 pc's.

As always, purchases, and whether you take any notice of the points raised in the linked article or not is a matter of personal choice.

Jax
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I use CCleaner aka 'Crap Cleaner' which is free for the basic model. It has a few nice touches that clears various parts of the system and allows programs to be removed if required. I run it every time I shut down and am ofter amazed at the rubbish that accumulates.
I totally agree Wally, it's a great free item of software. Like you, I also run CCleaner every time I shut down for the night and it keeps the pc free of clutter and running smoothly.

Jax
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,816 Times in 1,762 Posts

Thanks for all replies.....

I do use CCleaner, which sorts out junk etc from the Hard Disk. (I don't have SSD). It also "cleans" the Registry.

I may be wrong, but after those large memory hungry programmes, the PC slows down to a snail pace. I am thinking the RAM needs clearing out?? Should not a departing programme do that anyway, or does it leave the RAM clogged up.

My only solution so far is to reboot, which as said, takes some time. I have an oldish Dell Latitude E6430, which might be the problem in the long run......

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Thanks for all replies.....

I do use CCleaner, which sorts out junk etc from the Hard Disk. (I don't have SSD). It also "cleans" the Registry.

I may be wrong, but after those large memory hungry programmes, the PC slows down to a snail pace. I am thinking the RAM needs clearing out?? Should not a departing programme do that anyway, or does it leave the RAM clogged up.

My only solution so far is to reboot, which as said, takes some time. I have an oldish Dell Latitude E6430, which might be the problem in the long run......

Let me clear up two matters here.

Early versions of Windows (Windows 3, 3.1 etc.) had very poor memory management. To make things worse, many apps in those days were TSR (terminate and stay resident), so they stayed in memory even after quitting them. We also had very little memory to play with (8 Megabytes was a luxury), so it was necessary to reboot regularly. We also used to fiddle with the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files so that programmes launched in the right order to make the most of the 640 KB available to DOS, which loaded first and ran beneath Windows. (Windows did not become an operating system until W95.)

Windows 95, 98 and Millennium were little better, but increasing RAM and better software reduced the need to reboot.

However, since Windows 2000 memory management has been very much better, and recent versions (W8.1 and W10) have all but done away for the need to reboot. My Windows 2016 Server machine often stays up for weeks without rebooting!

The problem with Photoshop is that it needs a lot of RAM and also caches data for the photographs that you have loaded. If you have a couple of gigabytes of images loaded that data has to go somewhere!

Unless you have shed-loads of memory Windows accommodates this by using 'virtual memory', which is simply a reserved space called Pagefile.sys on your hard drive. Adobe also uses what it calls a 'scratch file', which is basically the same thing, but that can be spread over multiple drives if required. The crucial thing here is that large volumes of data are written to and from your hard drive, which is a very slow process on a spinning hard drive. Small files in particular are very slow to read and write in large numbers. As I explained yesterday a SSD (Solid State Drive) performs this much more quickly and efficiently.

On all of my machines other than my laptop I have the OS and apps installed on a small-ish SSD (128 or 256 GB), and keep my data elsewhere. I make a Disk Image of the drive (C:\ Drive) so that I can easily get things up and running again on a spare SSD if anything goes wrong. Two of the small desktops have a slot for an mSATA SSD as well as a normal SATA SSD, so I have set the Pagefile.sys on a second physical drive to speed things up even more.

On my main machine, (third gen i5 with 32 GB RAM) Windows 8.1 loads to the login screen within about twelve seconds. W10 is faster still. Word, Excel, etc. load instantly whilst Photoshop loads within four seconds. I can load and process 200 + camera raw files without any problem. Other than very rare conflicts I never need to reboot after using any app.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago)
shotokan101 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts

Don't forget good old Task Manager, it can show you what's running and which resources are being used. Quick launch by right-clicking the task bar and choosing "Task Manager" from the menu that pops up. Clicking the top of each column of info (CPU, Memory, Disk" etc) will show you the percentage of each resource being used and what is using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

Have to say, I’ve never noticed any such issues since changing to a Mac many years ago.
Machines rarely even get turned off unless we’re going away or there is an update required.
Might also be affected by not actually using PhotoShop either!

When I was supporting PCs they suffered as described but when we moved to virtual desktops users got a clean machine every morning, so rarely saw any issues (behind the scenes the disk space demands were a nightmare, not helped by the sys admin being of the opinion that said disk space was his very own to ration as he saw fit).

Surely the blame lies with the writers of the O/S and applications. These have ballooned from a couple of megabytes to multi gigabyte installs. You’d think they have some spare space for some decent housekeeping routines.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Have to say, Ive never noticed any such issues since changing to a Mac many years ago.
Machines rarely even get turned off unless were going away or there is an update required.
Might also be affected by not actually using PhotoShop either!

When I was supporting PCs they suffered as described but when we moved to virtual desktops users got a clean machine every morning, so rarely saw any issues (behind the scenes the disk space demands were a nightmare, not helped by the sys admin being of the opinion that said disk space was his very own to ration as he saw fit).

Surely the blame lies with the writers of the O/S and applications. These have ballooned from a couple of megabytes to multi gigabyte installs. Youd think they have some spare space for some decent housekeeping routines.
I can empathise with your comments about Sys Admin!

To be fair, Windows has become much slimmer and fitter in recent years, with W10 being extremely fast and agile. 'Streamlined like a Porsche' as somebody once said.

I have no stability problems whatsoever, and as I said, my W2016 machine stays up for weeks at a time. Indeed, I think our son has more problem with his one iMac and MacBook than we have with all of our home and office PC's put together.

Back to Windows C's, the problem seems to lie with Adobe in particular which has a unique ability to fill hard drive space and use memory resources. My Adobe Acrobat Pro installation alone takes up in excess of 4 GB which is probably more than the OS! I have also noticed that now Adobe has us on subscription the pace of updates and improvements has slowed significantly.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing