Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,401 Times in 1,581 Posts
Re: Age-Related Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
In many Councils, sadly that is probably the biggest stumbling block to overcome. They seem to rarely employ "Qualified Experts" on the workforce maybe because the remuneration offered to them falls way below what is expected, preferring to pay massive salaries to unqualified Management instead.

Jax
I have noticed that pay rises exponentially for council leaders the harder left they are. Ironic really.

Where will their children be educated when Comrade Corbyn shuts down public schools?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
wornish (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,585 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Nice thought but not likely to happen. So many enterprise applications rely on Windows and Office. Licensing thatís free for an individual usually isnít free for an organisation. Livre Office almost certainly wonít support necessary links and plug-ins needed for corporate apps. It only takes one mission critical program needing Windows and your utopian idea is scuppered.
This has been looked at many times over the years, including within the organisation I worked for.
You need to be able to support it for years to come, with people sourced from wherever, not by hobbyists. Donít forget, as an example, Benefits recipients need to be able to rely on the systems working to pay their benefits (donít get me started!).
Security needs to be paramount, data needs enterprise grade backups.
Believe me, we looked, we quickly realised it wasnít practically possible and quickly moved on. Enterprise IT isnít just scaled up home computing (unfortunately!)

You have just confirmed that you and your local government have been assimilated by the consultants. They really do a great sell job of all the "possible" issues. When it's the taxpayer's money what does the cost matter?

Have your council IT staff ever even checked? Are they even qualified to check? If they are the typical blinkered MS qualified output I doubt it. The council pays them peanuts, so what do they get?

UK government central and local have an appalling record of squandering IT spend thanks to the expert consultants.

Something to consider :
Does Google, Facebook, eBay, Amazon or any major global player run their IT on Windows? I will leave as an open question.

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Something to consider :
Does Google, Facebook, eBay, Amazon or any major global player run their IT on Windows? I will leave as an open question.
I'm guessing that they use some flavour of Unix. I also suspect that they would want to use an Open Source version for security purposes, which would rule out BSD.

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
UK government central and local have an appalling record of squandering IT spend thanks to the expert consultants.
The NHS and BBC too.

I seem to remember the BBC spend £several-hundred-million on a new system to allow their Editors access VT archives from their desks before abandoning the project. It was only public money so I don't suppose it matters to any of them. They still get paid regardless.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 935 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
As I mentioned before - look into Pharmacy2u!

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/

Jim

Pharmacy2u started mailing and leafleting in this area a while ago. This prompted our local GP practice to warn against using them due to the negative effect on local pharmacies and the dispensary service at the surgery. This is a rural area and the next nearest pharmacy to the one in this town is a 35 mile round trip. Pharmacies can also offer valuable advice and other services that an on-line provider cannot. Think getting your feet measured for new shoes at Amazon! There is still a notice on the surgery door to this effect. A web search for "Pharmacy2u complaints" is illuminating too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Pharmacy2u started mailing and leafleting in this area a while ago. This prompted our local GP practice to warn against using them due to the negative effect on local pharmacies and the dispensary service at the surgery. This is a rural area and the next nearest pharmacy to the one in this town is a 35 mile round trip. Pharmacies can also offer valuable advice and other services that an on-line provider cannot. Think getting your feet measured for new shoes at Amazon! There is still a notice on the surgery door to this effect. A web search for "Pharmacy2u complaints" is illuminating too!
We received similar warnings from our GP practice and pharmacy.

I seem to remember that Pharmacy2u were masquerading as the local pharmacy in some areas, hence leading patients to believe that they were still supporting the local economy.

On a separate but related note, I was dismayed to learn that when I turn 65 my present three-monthly repeat prescription will be reduced to just one month - in case I don't make it to the next one.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I was dismayed to learn that when I turn 65 my present three-monthly repeat prescription will be reduced to just one month - in case I don't make it to the next one.

LOL - that's rubbing it in a bit! Mine has always been one month, even before I passed 65.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
LOL - that's rubbing it in a bit! Mine has always been one month, even before I passed 65.
I gather the one-month limit is a blanket NHS policy for anyone over 65. Surely that creates unnecessary paperwork and admin in cases where it is obviously inappropriate? After all, we are supposed to work till we drop now aren't we?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Pharmacy2u started mailing and leafleting in this area a while ago. This prompted our local GP practice to warn against using them due to the negative effect on local pharmacies and the dispensary service at the surgery.
This did occur to me, but I thought that it was little different to chain pharmacies eg Boots and those in supermarkets.

Quote:
A web search for "Pharmacy2u complaints" is illuminating too!
[/quote]

In over two years I've never had a problem - it's a major boon and all works quite seamlessly.

For repeat prescriptions it's ideal. A few click on the mobile 'phone app and shortly after I get an email stating that they have received the order and have sent it off to the doctor for a prescription. When the doctor has approved the order I get sent a message to that effect and the medications are on their way. No visiting the surgery for a repeat prescription, no queuing up at the chemist to be told to come back in 1/2 hr. A day or so later the medications come through the post.

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I order my repeats on my GP surgery's web site and two days later pick them up at the chemist's about 200 yards away . Alternatively I can drop the repeat subscription form in at the surgery.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
I order my repeats on my GP surgery's web site and two days later pick them up at the chemist's about 200 yards away . Alternatively I can drop the repeat subscription form in at the surgery.

Same here Otto. If we took advantage of all these new convenient services on offer there will be no reason to leave the house anymore, except when the hearse arrives

Jax
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 745 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Same here Otto. If we took advantage of all these new convenient services on offer there will be no reason to leave the house anymore, except when the hearse arrives

Jax
Wonder if thereís a market for home cremations? Might be possible to make it a bit green by using carbon capture, no nasty smells or smoke to upset the (still living) neighbours!

Besides, donít people usually leave the house on that final journey, in an anonymous white undertakers van? Itís that or on the roof rack rolled up in a carpet!

Oh dear, here I am lowering the tone again.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Wonder if thereís a market for home cremations? Might be possible to make it a bit green by using carbon capture, no nasty smells or smoke to upset the (still living) neighbours!

Besides, donít people usually leave the house on that final journey, in an anonymous white undertakers van? Itís that or on the roof rack rolled up in a carpet!

Oh dear, here I am lowering the tone again.
I don't like the idea of being conveyored into a fiery furnace myself. A nice spot in the graveyard will do me fine.

The penultimate journey from the house will usually be in an anonymous black VW Caddy van. That is what the Coop uses. Better still, if you have a Divvy card you get dividend on funerals.

The rolled up carpet treatment is reserved for special customers whose nearest and dearest will attend the funeral whilst shackled to a police officer.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 745 Times in 511 Posts

I think the fiery furnace will be pretty quick should you wake up ‘on the hob’ as it were. Whereas waking up in an airless dark box to the sound of snuffling hedgehogs don’t sound so good!
Surely the Co-op would reject the divvy card as it’s in the dead persons name!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote:
My local pharmacy deals with repeats at the surgery. I just turn up at the pharmacy every two months (I am 74!) to collect my prescription.

Harold