Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 16th March 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
EM1..Number of storable still pictures to number of pictures taken.

Is there any way to change from one to the other.

Or how can I simply keep a record of shots taken at any particular shoot.
Old 16th March 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: EM1..Number of storable still pictures to number of pictures taken.

About the only thing I can think off is by switching cards for each session and using "File Name" - Reset

File Name:

[Auto]: Even when a new card is inserted, the file numbers are retained from the previous card. File numbering continues from the last number used or from the highest number available on the card.

[Reset]: When you insert a new card, the folder numbers starts at 100 and the file name starts at 0001. If a card containing images is inserted, the file numbers start at the number following the highest file number on the card.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 16th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
About the only thing I can think off is by switching cards for each session and using "File Name" - Reset

File Name:

[Auto]: Even when a new card is inserted, the file numbers are retained from the previous card. File numbering continues from the last number used or from the highest number available on the card.

[Reset]: When you insert a new card, the folder numbers starts at 100 and the file name starts at 0001. If a card containing images is inserted, the file numbers start at the number following the highest file number on the card.
My thoughts as well, Oly didn't think this one out too well did they.
My old-old-old Insatmatic did it very well...Frame No 1..2..3..4... :-))
I spose that's progress for ya.
Old 16th March 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi Oly Cameras do tell you, how many pictures you have taken and how many you have left to take before the card is full,
It does number them i.e. 1,2,3....... etc but does not keep the number order when sent to computer, if sending to a printer you send by number i.e. 1,23.. or 1,5 15 etc.

you can find this in the Manual.

Dave
Old 16th March 2015

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

I store the day's pictures in a directory (folder) named as the date eg 150316 for todays folder. The computers directory viewer displays a count of the images in the folder

I can nest the folders to keep all folders associated with a common activity. I then user Aperture (and now possibly Lightroom) to help me identify specific subjects, locations etc.

At the end of each year I increment the leading Alpha character of the file name (sometimes I have to increment the Alpha character when I take more than 9999 pictures in a year)
Old 17th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I store the day's pictures in a directory (folder) named as the date eg 150316 for todays folder. The computers directory viewer displays a count of the images in the folder

I can nest the folders to keep all folders associated with a common activity. I then user Aperture (and now possibly Lightroom) to help me identify specific subjects, locations etc.

At the end of each year I increment the leading Alpha character of the file name (sometimes I have to increment the Alpha character when I take more than 9999 pictures in a year)
WOWeeeeeeee...!

Thanks very much, the more I read about this frame numbering 'fiasco' the more I'm throughly convinced that Oly have got it all wrong....there has to be a simpler way.

All my cameras over the years have displayed the frame number of the shot I'm about to take, and I don't have a maths degree.

With my macro work find it necessary to record a number of things against the 'current' frame number at the time of the shot. And I don't want to have to switch to 'playback' and +1 to calculate the number of my next shot.

C'mon Olympus get your finger out......when's the next firmware update.