Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 7th June 2010
learnersnapper

Help please, why do my pictures flash

Hi,

I am very new to all this having been a basic happy snapper in the past but I purchased an Olympus E510 some time back and, now that I have more time on my hands, would like to really learn how to use it properly so I am hopeing that this site will provide me with a wealth of knowledge, and hopefully I may even me able to help someone else eventually .

However, I do have a, probably, very basic question. I think I have "screwed" my settings somehow as now, when I check out a newly taken photo on the screen, I get these areas that keep flashing, usualyy bit os sky or water. The screen shows HQ at the top left and "highlight" at the bottom right.

My guess is that this may be something to do with the "highlight", can anyone help me and tell me how to get rid of this irritating flashing on the view screen ?

All comments, even about my idiocy at this stage, will be very welcome
Old 7th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help please, why do my pictures flash

You've guessed right the flashing shows the areas of overexposed highlights, to turn off the flashing press the info button whilst in playback mode (reviewing your images) pressing the info button runs through all the different display modes ie. LCD off, Full screen image, flashing highlights, flashing shadows, luminosity histogram and RGB hsitograms etc. What ever mode you leave the playback display mode on will be what you see show up just after you've taken each shot. There's a more detailed description of the sequence on page 67 of the manual if you need it.
Old 7th June 2010
learnersnapper

Thank you so much PaulE, it was driving me nuts !.

I do plan to attend a proper beginners course in the next couple of months so hopefully will not be asking any more dumb questions in the future.

I will even get down to reading my way completely through the manual....

Really looking forward to it as I do enjoy photography so much
Old 7th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnersnapper View Post
Thank you so much PaulE, it was driving me nuts !.

I do plan to attend a proper beginners course in the next couple of months so hopefully will not be asking any more dumb questions in the future.

I will even get down to reading my way completely through the manual....

Really looking forward to it as I do enjoy photography so much
I don't think there is such a thing as a dumb question particularly when you're starting out. As good as courses are I don't think they make up for putting in the practice for yourself - learning from mistakes is probably the quickest and most thorough way to learn so take plenty of photos and ask plenty of questions and you'll soon pick it up
Paul.