Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 20th April 2010
Mac

Small grey circle appears on all my images

Hi, A small small dark circle has suddenly appeared on all of the images I took last Sunday, the day before the shots have a lot of trees in the background so I cannot tell if it appears in them. I have just purchased a 70-300 mm lens so I thought that was the problem, but it happens on all of my lenses. I have cleaned all of the lenses, but I have not tried to clean the mirror because I have no idea how to do it safely. I hope it is nothing serious because the guarentee ran out last week. Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this. I have put a couple of photos to show what the problem is. Thanks Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _4182683 copy.jpg (95.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg _4202807 Mark is near centre at the top copy.jpg (91.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 20th April 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Small grey circle appears on all my images

That would be a dust bunny (out of focus dust partical on the sensor), if you had brought any other brand you would have been seeing many of these after a few weeks, one in a year is not bad.

Rocket blower or if its a sticky dust partical (like pollen) which it proberbly is to get past the Oly dust reduction then you may need to wet clean the sensor or use a spot pen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 20th April 2010
Mac

Thanks for answering my question, I am glad is nothing serious. The way my luck is going lately, if I bought some shoelaces the sole would come away from the uppers. I must have clicked the the wrong link because my camera is a E-520 but they are near enough the same.Thanks again Mac
Old 20th April 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Hi Mac

I had exactly the same problem a few weeks back and was looking into costs for a professional clean and then decided to leave it till the summer to have done and carried on using the camera in the meantime then....... one day just totally disappeared, I dont know if the dust just moved on its own or if the dust protection vibrated it off, but its gone now

So I'd recommend to give it a few weeks and see if it moves on its own before trying any internal cleaning

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 22nd April 2010
Mac

Hi Steve, I used a blower on the camera & it worked perfectly, the mark has dissappeared from my images. Now a small speck has appeared in the top right corner when I look through the viewfinder but it does not appear in the photos, so I can live with that. I am pleased with this camera I get a lot of what I call pretty good photos from it, not as good as the ones that are shown on your forums, but who knows I might improve enough to send one in someday. Thanks for the advice Mac
Old 22nd April 2010

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

I had one identical to this. Using a puffer blower would not shift it so I brushed it of with a lens cleaning brush without any problems.

Steve
Old 22nd April 2010
Senior

Liked 159 Times in 59 Posts

Hi Steve

I had a similar problem to yours last year. I left it alone, and it completely disappeared after a few days

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Old 22nd April 2010

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Hi Steve

I had a similar problem to yours last year. I left it alone, and it completely disappeared after a few days
Yes. You sometimes get a stubborn bit of dust that takes several powering on/cleaning cycles to get rid of them.

Steve