Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 27th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35mm scanner

Hi All

I know this topic has been bought up before - but last time was a while back.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a film scanner? I have a load of old snaps I'd like to digitise, the majority of which are only holiday shots.

I'm looking at entry level really, around £50. Something along the lines of:
Amazon Amazon

Any comments or suggestions?
Old 27th March 2010
forester

Re: 35mm scanner

Well it boils down to what you want to pay, You will only get “what you pay for” with digital transfer but if you have time on your hands use your
camera and “side copier” they can be picked up on eBay or car boot sales for a song and once mastered a much better result will be obtained, I have done a few in the past as long as the slides are in good clean condition.
Best of luck
Old 27th March 2010

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

My method is the 50mm macro and off camera flash - the resolution is on a par with slide film and it is so much faster than my Minolta scanner..

It does depend on already owning a macro lens however...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 28th March 2010

Liked 314 Times in 128 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Some flatbed scanners will do slides and negatives. You might find a secondhand Epson 4490 for example. It will also do 2.25 square roll film. The HP 8180 all-in-one printer will scan slides but costs a fair bit more than £50.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 28th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might be able to get one of these a friend used one to scan his and they came out ok.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-11-17 £45
Old 28th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try Maplins they do a range from £69 upwards

Link below

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=67459

Regards

Roger
Old 28th March 2010

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Ideas for a £50 scanner? No! But I have just gone through the upgrade process in order to selectively scan two slide collections.

But I have just been trying an Epson V600, partly because my dad wanted some old 35mm slides scanned and put onto the web for family to see, before he dumped them (he's since been persuaded to pass them on to me), and partly because I have a collection of thousands some of which I would like to digitalise.

I had a look at anything below £350, both dedicated film scanners (Plustek & entry-level types) and flatbeds. All seemed limited to just 4 slides at a time, and all non auto feed.

As a generality, dedicated fim scanners would give the best scan quality/enlargment capabilities but lack of auto feed and the difficulty for me to easily understand the Silverfast SE software put me off the Plustek type scanners. Generally poor reviews and the lack of reasonable quality/enlargement capabilities put me off the cheaper entry level film scanners, especially as several seemed limited to enlargements of no more than about 7x5" or thereabouts.

As a generality for the flatbeds, I had to dismiss some of the older flatbeds that had a transparency scanning options, as I needed the potential to use with Windows 7, and some older scanners are not being supported.
I also have preferred the idea of up-to-date software, and having used Epson Scan software before, having read various reviews, and having seen that the latest Epson Scan has good simple Auto scan options as well as Home, Office and Professional options (each with increasing options to alter various key inputs for the scan), I ended up selecting the Epson Perfection V600.
I am now testing the slide scanning capabilities of the scanner in various settings, and so far have found that full Auto works very well for modest scans while Professional mode has all the options that I would generally want for a more detailed larger scan. However, I am finding Epson's Dust Removal / Digital ICE sometimes gives poor results at this stage, but that may be due to inexperience on my part.

So this may not help in your search for a low cost scanner that can scan slides but if you decide to extend your search to a scanner that can do that plus prints and paper, then the Epson is well worth a look. (E-buyer seemed the cheapest at about £215)

Good luck with the hunt!

Regards
Chris
Old 29th March 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Have you considered paying someone to do them for you? I had about 200 done for £26 by someone on Ebay and was happy with the results - it wouldn't have been worth spending even as little as £50 just to do that number myself. Of course if you have a lot more to do than that then it may be worth investing in the equipment.
Old 29th March 2010

Liked 314 Times in 128 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Here's another thought. A friend bought a dedicated 35mm scanner off eBay, scanned his slides and then sold it on. Effectively the difference between what he paid and what he got on reselling was a rental fee.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii