Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 18th December 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
From the London office roof!

Hi All

Still spending lots of time getting into the new job which is going well, so unfortunately not much time for taking shots. I am also taking note of decent places to take the camera out when I am staying overnight, and I am sure once things have settled down a little that I will be out and about togging away once again.

Anyway, I spotted that the lift engineers were busy working on the lifts in the office building I am in, and so later in the day I headed up to the rooftop to see if they'd let me out to take some shots. Very nice chaps they were too, they did!

So here's a few 'snap' type shots of the view from the office roof (as well as a few taken on the tube), not brilliant I admit, but not a bad view

My gallery is here: http://www.reflectingme.com/p648807559 - and there's a new 'Add Comments' facility that Zenfolio have added just today... please feel free to add comments there if you feel the need!!

St Pauls & City

Royal Courts of Justice

The Wheel!!

Big Ben and the Houses of Parl

... and two from the tube...

Old 18th December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: From the London office roof!

Not bad at all John - now you need to arrange for the lift to break down on a slightly nicer night when you are equipped with your tripod.

But I think the slightly iffy weather makes the view of the wheel, though I'd be inclined to crop out the bridge and lights below to make an even simpler view.

The combination of St Pauls and the carbuncle really cries out for a portrait shot with a nice chunk of sky.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 18th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

Very nice shots, John - better than you give yourself credit for!

Glad to hear the new job is going well and glad to see that it's not all work and no play!

Post some more from the City if you get the chance.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th December 2008

Liked 2,277 Times in 1,504 Posts

Don't do it John! It's a very long way down.

A very nice collection of images. I especially like the first one of the Tube.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th December 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

The ones from the roof are just round the back from where I worked until last week.

I like the first tube shot also.

Well done John.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 19th December 2008

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I love those types of Tube images - well done. The first cityscape one is nice too. How much of the week are you in London?

I would be interested in going down to Newport Wetlands over the Christmas break (I am off work for two weeks) if you are at all interested.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 19th December 2008

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
The ones from the roof are just round the back from where I worked until last week.

I like the first tube shot also.

Well done John.
That looks like the view from the top of Mobil Court Tower 3 if I am not much mistaken. It is round the back from where I am working until Tuesday: LSE

Nick
Old 19th December 2008
Makonde

I like the Eye and St Pauls - because of that wintry-looking London grey light as murky dusk gathers. Nice pics.
Old 19th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice atmosphere in the outdoors shots, they make it look slightly cosy and normal.

The tubs shots give a feeling of speed, in a bright almost sanitised environment.
Old 19th December 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

It reminds me of the day's when the London Fog's were very common place. Great shots and well taken, I sometimes think we forget things can look different in inclement weather...
Old 19th December 2008

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Really great shots John, I envy your ability to get out on top to see the roofs.
they are a good example of why I love London, but I have never had a chance to go upstairs!!
Old 19th December 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Wow, many thanks all... I am quite astonished at all your comments here as I genuinely thought they were simply 'snap' type shots and not really worthy of comment.

I was of course very pleased to have the opportunity of going 'up top' as it were; we're on the 8th - 11th floors and the 12th is the roof so was too good an opportunity to miss.

So, many thanks all, I will try to get better images, in sunshine if possible at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I love those types of Tube images - well done. The first cityscape one is nice too. How much of the week are you in London?

I would be interested in going down to Newport Wetlands over the Christmas break (I am off work for two weeks) if you are at all interested.
I am in London 3-5 days a week at the moment, until end of March hopefully.

Great idea... I'd love to meet up with you over the Christmas break for a visit to the wonderful Newport Wetlands if you want to come along here, that would be super. I would be more than happy to spend a day with you at the reserve itself, and also some of the less frequently visited, but wonderfully 'bird populated' outlying areas if you wanted to see those as well. Shoot me a PM with details of when you could make it and we can set something up, no worries, I'd be delighted to welcome you to Newport (and of course, anyone else who fancies a trip to Newport over the Christmas break).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
That looks like the view from the top of Mobil Court Tower 3 if I am not much mistaken. It is round the back from where I am working until Tuesday: LSE

Nick
Hey Nick... well, well, well... we are on the 8th to 11th floor of the LSE tower 3 (I think)! what a small world we live in eh! I think it's called Lincolns Inn??

I am there on Monday and Tuesday as well... not sure I have time to meet up though sorry, well... maybe... just maybe....?