Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 6th April 2015

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
New attempt in Coloured Light portrait

A shoot I had last week with the lovely Baileyforeman(http://www.madcowmodels.co.uk/Baileyforeman), criticism welcomed, and feel free to like the photos on www.500px.com/LancericT

Please check out my work here http://500px.com/LancericT
Old 6th April 2015

Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
Re: New attempt in Coloured Light portrait

I like the lighting on the second and third one although the background seems a bit prominent.

For me, the colour of the light in the first clashes with the background and her top and isn't balanced well with the rest of the lighting - the shadow in her eye is very hard.

Out of interest, what photography club are you with - I live nearby
Old 6th April 2015

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I'm in the University of Soton PhotoSoc

Please check out my work here http://500px.com/LancericT
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (6th April 2015)
Old 6th April 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,579 Times in 910 Posts

The second works well and the third is ok, but as previously said the first doesn't work well at all.

Being a cold colour the expression of the subject doesn't match the lighting.

A bold approach would be to adjust the colour of the light to reflect and enhance the feeling of emotion of the person. Stage lighting is often adjusted to provide a mood to the scene and it work well in portraiture as well.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th April 2015

Thanked 1,402 Times in 1,294 Posts
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,108 Posts

I'm no expert at all and you've done loads better than I could have but I do agree with Graham. I guess you were aiming for a thoughtful impression but to me she just looks fed up. Not sure how you emphasise the difference though, maybe someone on here will be able to help more. I'd like to know myself too.
Old 7th April 2015

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Judging by the catchlight you used a point light source at 45 degrees, which may have caused the harsh shadows under the eye. A slightly more diffuse light might get the Rembrandt lighting I think you were looking for without the harsh under eye shadow. No 3 works best for me.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 7th April 2015

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I'm guessing you have just started in studio portraiture so do not take my comments as anything personal just as I see it.

#1 appears to be a attempt at Rembrandt lighting that has gone wrong.

#2 the lighting is to broad for what appears to be a semi profile shot and would have been better done with a narrow beam using a snoot/barn doors with a grill or at the least a shoot through umbrella with the light near the appex of the umberella to narrow the light.

#3 I would have liked to have seen more shadow on the left side of the face and the sickly green colour does nothing for it.

In all cases the models eyes and expression just look bored as if she does not want to there with no seemingly interaction with the photographer but looking at her model profile she seems to have the same look in all her photos.

These are a good try for someone just starting and I am sure you will improve on your lighting skills over time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/