Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 12th May 2008
alert_bri

Please help! UK Photo Safari - North of England

Hello everyone,

I must apologise for the short notice, but we have selected our main event for May to be based in Whitby this coming weekend (evening of Saturday 17th May to evening of Sunday 18th of May - most people coming for the Sunday).

I have struggled a little, to keep in balance the challenges for my time between communicating with the existing Olympus Photo Safari Group members, negotiating special discounts and access for our members, and compiling the field reports, based on the wonderful comments and feedback I've been getting... but I think we're rapidly getting on top of all that!

The good news is, that Olympus are beginning to take us much more seriously, and recognising that our active members are effectively champions of their DSLR products...

So, may I ask for your help - at this short notice in sharing any experience you have of the Whitby area? what do you remember as outstanding? that we may consider adding to our event itinerary...

Also, may I ask that if you know of any Olympus shooters North of Leeds, could you please let them know that we are planning a very exciting event this weekend in Whitby? and to drop me a line if they would like to be kept informed, and involved in planning future events for serious Olympus photographers in the North?

Thank you! I really appreciate your support, and we will be bringing you a very stimulating report in due course from this very special place...
Kind Regards

Brian
Old 12th May 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Re: Please help! UK Photo Safari - North of England

Wish I could have been there but not enough notice owing to domestic reasons.. However, Just check out the North Yorkshire Moors railway, they may have started the steam service to Whitby.. Good views from the road bridge..
Old 12th May 2008

http://nymr.co.uk/news/dont-miss-your-train
Old 12th May 2008
alert_bri

Thanks Yorkie, I have the timetable bookmarked, and a contact with a volunteer who works on the railway.

Perhaps you can help us to plan the next one!

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 13th May 2008
alert_bri

Also needed, E-520 reviewers... from the real world ;)

Over the last few months, we have earned the support of Olympus UK, through our efforts to bring 'serious user opinion' of their brand new products to our peers...

That will continue with the E-520, if you would be willing to assess the E-520, we would welcome and appreciate your company.

We are independent, serious Olympus shooters... so there will be no censure or editing - our credibility is based on our honest opinions being shared freely. We don't even pretend to be objective! we are biased by our experience and needs as serious photographers, and declare those preferences in our reviews. We leave the 'objective' reviews to paid, professional reviewers and their lab tests

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 13th May 2008

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Brian

Just thought I'd chip in that I found Whitby full of photo potential last year when I visited here are a couple of my favs from up by the Abbey and one of the moors railway.

You need to check out the Sutcliffe gallery

Sorry to far to travel this weekend

Cheers

Dave
Old 13th May 2008
alert_bri

Great stuff Dave, drop me a line and we'll arrange an event closer to home for you

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 13th May 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Whitby is a wonderful bit of the world – the ruined Abbey (as featured in Dracula) is worth a look. Afraid I won't be able to join you, but I'm off to the Yorkshire coast a couple of weeks later to take some photos. I'll also be popping in to the Olympus day at LCE in Manchester on Saturday.
Old 13th May 2008

Hi, Just rememberd, whilst in Whitby..Watch out for Goths some of them are very photogenic. Staithes is well worth the effort it takes, Though a few cars can get down to the front but there is a path round the back which leads to the car park which has good views though quite steep.
Old 13th May 2008
alert_bri

Fantastic! thanks for the tips and please keep them coming

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 13th May 2008
Yorkie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Yorkie

Hi all,

Being from York I know the area well.

Whitby is a very good; depending on the transport and the time you want to vist and the subject you want you could also look at the North Yorkshire Moores Railway (http://www.nymr.co.uk/) as they run a service to Whitby.

This could open up other parts of the North Yorkshire Moors such as Gothland and Pickering, another great area. Dependent on when you want to go we could possibly book a carrage or a train, dependent on numbers. They run both steam and diesel services on the line.

All the best,

Adrian.

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/
Old 15th May 2008
alert_bri

Whitby event shaping up to be spectacular success!

I'm really sorry this is another late open announcement, but we've been planning this within the UK Safari Group for some time, and if you are an Olympus shooter in the North of England... I *promise* that you will want to do everything possible to get yourself registered for this event!

Please drop me an e-mail via my profile, or directly to brian.mosley@ukphotosafari.org to register for this and to receive advance info / help with planning of all future events.

Did I mention I'm excited? this is shaping up to be the best event yet!

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 15th May 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts
Re: Whitby event shaping up to be spectacular success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alert_bri View Post
I'm really sorry this is another late open announcement, but we've been planning this within the UK Safari Group for some time, and if you are an Olympus shooter in the North of England... I *promise* that you will want to do everything possible to get yourself registered for this event!

Please drop me an e-mail via my profile, or directly to brian.mosley@ukphotosafari.org to register for this and to receive advance info / help with planning of all future events.

Did I mention I'm excited? this is shaping up to be the best event yet!

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian,

I'll be in London on the 17th for a Meet I've organised for Four Thirds User Group. We're at opposite ends of the country for this one, but in future when I organise an event I'll contact you to ensure we don't clash!

We should have a 520 to assess in addition to a good range of lenses, on what promises to be a great day.

Hope your event goes well and proves to be very enjoyable, as I'm sure it will. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Have a good one,

John
Old 19th May 2008

Re: Whitby event shaping up to be spectacular success!

So! Did the day go well?
Old 20th May 2008
alert_bri

Hi Yorkie, yes... the event was our best yet! (which is some going ) - we're working on our report now.

Here are some shots which weren't good enough to go into my selection for the group report - we had an awesome weekend!

E-420 + 12-60mm SWD
1/160s f/8.0 at 60.0mm iso100

1/60s f/8.0 at 12.0mm iso100

1/200s f/5.6 at 12.0mm iso100

1/400s f/6.3 at 12.0mm iso100

I'll post more as I get the time to convert them.

Also, we're getting together tomorrow in the Peak District with more Safari Group members, to compare the E-520 with the E-510 and E-3, using a variety of lenses etc... just having some more fun. If anyone is within reach of the Peak District and would like to join our group, please just drop me an e-mail at brian.mosley@ukphotosafari.org.

Kind Regards

Brian