Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 27th September 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
little Hedgehog

This little Hedgehog weights only 90g and is maybe half the size of my fist. He was - as usual - infested with Fleas. I was able to get rid of the later buy spraying and dusting him with two kinds of Flea & Tick detergents. These photos were taken after him having a subsequent bath

Look at the tons of Fleas, which I removed from the little fellow. What a nightmare it must be, being not able to even scratch oneself

Stacked microphoto (8 frames), taken through stereo microscope.

CloseUp of one of the numerous Fleas. Stacked microphoto (5 frames), taken through stereo microscope.

I think I'll need to feed him for a while, or he will not make it through the winter. We may probably end up with an other pet, until spring ...?!
Old 27th September 2011

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts
Re: little Hedgehog

What a cutie - now it's de-loused! The flea is definitely NOT a cutie!

My dad worked in boilerhouses, which were jumping with fleas . He used to put ones he caught in a matchbox and sell them to the flea circus.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 27th September 2011

Thanks John!

In my case a flea-circus might not be sufficient, but a flea-market would be appropriate, I guess. See below, what I just collected on the lawn, when I intended to reset the sprinkler:

Apparently sisters to #1, with one similar in low weight and the other one in a bit better position. Record shot from the ongoing de-fleaing process - notice the dark specks on the paper. Quite potent stuff, being applied only minutes before the pic was taken

Oh oh, I have to scratch myself now - just from talking fleas
Old 27th September 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
CloseUp of one of the numerous Fleas. Stacked microphoto (5 frames), taken through stereo microscope.

I think I'll need to feed him for a while, or he will not make it through the winter. We may probably end up with an other pet, until spring ...?!
That flea looks well enough fed to me and seems a strange choice of pet, although my daughter does have a Giant African Land Snail! Think I'd be inclined to keep the hedgehog instead.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Seriously, that little hedgehog is so cute and it's great that you have taken him in. Good for you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th September 2011

Liked 307 Times in 82 Posts

Great little animals aren't they? (The hedgehogs that is!) Good for keeping down slugs in the garden as well. Sad to say they are very much in decline in this country - I read this week that UK numbers are down to 5% of what they were 50 years ago.
Out of interest, what are you feeding them?
Old 27th September 2011

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

Well you couldn't fail to be won over by this little guy.
Great images Falk

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 29th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
That flea looks well enough fed to me and seems a strange choice of pet, although my daughter does have a Giant African Land Snail! Think I'd be inclined to keep the hedgehog instead.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
John, you are forgiven but only because I used to have several species of said African Land Snails (Achatina ssp.) for many years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post
Great little animals aren't they? (The hedgehogs that is!) Good for keeping down slugs in the garden as well. Sad to say they are very much in decline in this country - I read this week that UK numbers are down to 5% of what they were 50 years ago.
Out of interest, what are you feeding them?
You are darn right with the numbers, I suppose. I cant say for sure, but have the impression, that I dont see as many flattened on the streets as there were before. And of course, that useless defense behavior of an Hedgehog - facing a car - is probably the reason for the decline in the first place?!

The feeding is a little tricky I'll admit.
At first, I let the children catch lots of grashoppers and especially Hedgehog #1 is all over them within seconds. No.2 is catching up on this, but I think he had to learn from #1 first! No.3 (the small one in my last pic) is so unfit/sick/dehydrated, that she's not able to catch anything

To get them going and well fed I now 'serve' dog food (tin) mixed with rolled oats and cut apple, all day long. They accept it as okay, I think!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Well you couldn't fail to be won over by this little guy.
Great images Falk
Thanks Huw! Feeding #3 with a syringe makes for a nice 'Aah Cute!' factor too

Whats not so cute about these darn little things is the fact, that they poo all over the place! Cant they just name one corner of their cage and stay with it - no! This way I need to clean the box several times a day
Zuiko (30th September 2011)
Old 30th September 2011
Floribunda

Yucko! Those fleas look revolting! And I agree, poor little animals having to put up with them.
Good on you for taking the time and trouble to care for the hedgehogs.
They remind me of our Echidnas - much smaller of course - and I don't know if the Echidnas have fleas or not. Perhaps they do?
I really hope they do well under your care.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Falk (3rd October 2011)
Old 30th September 2011

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

We found a hedgehog in the garden last night. The first we've seen for about 4 years. I have a very healthy population of snails for it to feed on.

Lots of toys.
Old 30th September 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
Yucko! Those fleas look revolting! And I agree, poor little animals having to put up with them.
Good on you for taking the time and trouble to care for the hedgehogs.
They remind me of our Echidnas - much smaller of course - and I don't know if the Echidnas have fleas or not. Perhaps they do?
I really hope they do well under your care.
Those fleas probably have pouches

Falk - how good it must be to be fed and de-flead. Did you find them as orphans?

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 30th September 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

We built a log pile home for our hedgehogs ! we have a good supply of slugs and snails and put out cat food and water for them. Last night one was on the childrens beach at 4am - how did we know? Our dog went ballistic barking at it
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 30th September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
You are darn right with the numbers, I suppose. I cant say for sure, but have the impression, that I dont see as many flattened on the streets as there were before. And of course, that useless defense behavior of an Hedgehog - facing a car - is probably the reason for the decline in the first place?!
That certainly doesn't help but there is also another very significant factor in their decline... the massive explosion in Badger numbers since the 70's / 80s.
Old 30th September 2011

Thanked 1,518 Times in 1,469 Posts
Liked 4,257 Times in 1,928 Posts

An interesting menagerie you keep in your household, John ... did you start it from scratch?

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 1st October 2011

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts

I like your photo of the flea, they look alien when seen in such detail. Just imagine if they were bigger, a flea the size of a dog would strike terror. I wonder if there have been any cheesy B movies made on this subject.
Old 2nd October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
Falk - how good it must be to be fed and de-flead. Did you find them as orphans?
In one way or the other, yes, I guess so. I have not found any dead adult on the street though. Maybe the mother decided that it's to late into the year to nurse any children and that she has to take care for herself only, to get through the winter?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Our dog went ballistic
I like that expression

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
there is also another very significant factor in their decline... the massive explosion in Badger numbers since the 70's / 80s.
I never thought of that! We do have some Badgers around and I see their tracks fairly often, but never actually saw one in the fields. Thats on my wish-list since long ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
An interesting menagerie you keep in your household, John ... did you start it from scratch?
Good one Mark! Cheers, Falk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willom View Post
I like your photo of the flea, they look alien when seen in such detail. Just imagine if they were bigger, a flea the size of a dog would strike terror. I wonder if there have been any cheesy B movies made on this subject.
Thanks!
Well, I've not heard of any movie, but if there is one, I am certain it plays in NewYork - as every desaster, alien attack , evil does
Culexophobia in Cetral Park or something along that line

Okay, now an update shot of the one little female which I had to worry about the most. She needs to be fed several times a day, because she has not touched solid food so far. Fortunately my secret mixture does take effect and she seems to be safe now. I really hope she starts feeding on her own soon! The picture shows my wife doing the business, so that I could take the camera.

The other two are doing just fine. In fact, the bigger one (male) feels so good, that he is by now hissing and growling at me obviously he no longer wants to 'handled'!

BTW: We were at a Flea market today and my wife found us a book: How to take care of Hedgehogs Not that it was needed, but how fitting, isn't it!?

Falk