Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 18th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Microsoft panorama software for free

Called Image Composite Editor

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...roups/ivm/ice/

Free, so worth a try?
The Following User Says Thank You to francois For This Useful Post:
Wee man (18th May 2011)
Old 18th May 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts
Re: Microsoft panorama software for free

Looks good - wonder what DogCow thinks of this (although pretty sure he is Mac-based, but I would think he has an opinion).

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th May 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I tried this a good while back. It's really rather good.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Wee man (18th May 2011)
Old 18th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Looks good - wonder what DogCow thinks of this (although pretty sure he is Mac-based, but I would think he has an opinion).
You are quite right, Ian.

I am Mac based, so no chance for me to try this one out.
'Sorry'.

Karel
Old 18th May 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Yes it's very good, I've been using it for some time.

A couple of examples stitched using ICE, our back yard taken with several portrait shots. First using the E-PL2 and the second using the E-5.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 18th May 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

I've used this for a few years now and have found it generally reliable for quick and easy panoramas - it also has a degree of control in making simple alterations to the stitched panorama and pretty reasonable saving options.

My panorama of Newcastle Quayside this past weekend made use of this software, and if your panorama is fairly straightforward I would recommend it, especially as it is free. Microsoft do seem to still be updating it and hopefully this will continue.

My one wish is that it would save the panorama that you've just stitched to the folder where the originals came from, rather than trying to put them into the last used folder - but I wouldn't be surprised if I've missed an option for this somewhere - a previous version did this though.

Regards
Chris
Old 18th May 2011
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

I've been using it for a couple of years as well and found it very good

I rarely use the Photoshop equivalent any more because this is so much faster and unless I think I'm going to need to tweak something very carefully I don't need anything more. Generally I find the results are excellent

One up for "Bill" something really good and free

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 18th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
I've been using it for a couple of years as well and found it very good

I rarely use the Photoshop equivalent any more because this is so much faster and unless I think I'm going to need to tweak something very carefully I don't need anything more. Generally I find the results are excellent

One up for "Bill" something really good and free

Regards
Andy
That mirrors my thoughts of Microsoft ICE. I first used it several years ago and with the few panoramas I've done it has always produced the best results with the least effort.
Old 19th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like it's worth installing.

On that page, they talk about the GigaPan. Has anyone used that?
Old 19th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
Thanks for the comments. Sounds like it's worth installing.

Hi -

Me. :-)

I've been gigapanning for around 3 years now, was with the beta program. Have the beta unit and the Epic 100, will be upgrading to the Epic Pro this summer. It's a robotic unit. Usage is dead simple, you set the camera up with lens, you set up the field of view (by aligning the bottom of the viewfinder with something horizontal, then the top), then you decide what you want to do a panorama of, then you set the upper left corner via keys, set the lower right corner, the system tells you how many pictures it will take (there is also a 360 option, where you simply point the top and bottom of the panorama). Get that done, set your exposure, focus and WB to manual after determining the right exposure, and go.

The images can be stitched with gigapan's own software, which does one thing well: stitching (with multithreading support for those with multiple CPUs). You can use an integrated uploader to put the panoramas online on gigapan.org (I'm user JohnF, go ahead and search for mine...), or you can export the finished files as TIFF or RAW (DNG format).

The only real limiation is how many pictures you can fit on your largest memory card and how well your battery holds out. I use the E510 and it works well with a 16GB card and the usual BML1 battery for around 700 pictures, using the Epic 100. I will be using the Epic Pro with the E30 and the OwnUser battery pack for the E30 to go to 1500 image panoramas.

The Epic 100 can handle multiple exposures for HDR, etc., but it doesn't use cables for control, instead using a mechanical finger, effectively, to trigger pictures. There is a limitation of 3 pounds sprung weight on the Epic 100 as well, and some physical limiations that means, for instance, I can't use the E30 at all, just the E510 (or EP1 or GF2). The Epic Pro handles up to 10 lbs, which means that I can use the E30+battery pack and, for instance, a Leica Telyt-R 400 f6.3 lens and have room to spare...

The gigapan units aren't that cheap, but you get a good deal for the money, and if you look at alternative panorama setups (excluding home-made), you end up spending pretty much the same for the same kind of resolution and setup.

One final word: batteries. The Epic and Epic 100 use AA NiMh battery packs, you supply the batteries. Don't scrimp on good batteries: nothing more frustrating than having you batteries wimp out on ya. The EpicPro uses a more powerfull propietary battery pack (something like 4700 mAH!). I use a 12-battery charger for the Epic 100 with 4x6 batteries on the road. I've never used more than 3 battery packs in a day, and that's including some fairly large panoramas...

Oh, and the usual disclaimer: just a satisfied customer, no other ties to gigapan...

JohnF
Old 19th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
Yep, I posted some examples on this forum: here, here and here.

All shot with an E-5 + 50-200 SWD and a Gigapan Epic Pro

Any questions? Please ask.

Karel
Old 19th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks all.

Had a look at their website, and both E-3 and E-5 are not mntioned as compatible with the system, although the E-4xx, 5xx, 6xx and E-30 are.

Karel, can you confirm that the Pro version system and software are OK with the E-5 or do you have to assemble the pics with something else, using the Gigapan to only take pictures?
Old 19th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not particularly fond of the GigaPan software, so I stitch the GigaPans with AutoPanogiga or PTGui, which give much better results. AutoPano has a GigaPan import wizzard (PTGui not yet).

Compatibility with a camera is not related to the stitching software, but to the release cable.
The E-3 and E-5 are not mentioned (yet) as compatible, I brew my own releasecable but GigaPan promised me that they are working on E-3/E-5 compatibility but apparently they have not released it yet.

If you need details to make your own cable, I can provide them.

Karel
Old 19th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks, food for thought.
Old 19th May 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

I too was involved in the early days of the Gigapan beta testing and it's good to see that there's a few Olympus Gigapan users on this forum.

I still have one of the beta units but haven't used it much partly due my compact camera needing an upgrade, partly due to the huge amount of images being produced and consequentual issues of hard disk space, and partly due to the time demands of the taking, stitching and then uploading very large multi image panoramas.

I loved the original project idea which was deliberately aimed at low cost, compact cameras easily available around the world, to create explorable panoramas that could be seen by people anywhere via the internet - a sort of global education project. But the capabilities of the project were being also pushed by the demands of DSLR users hence the Epic Pro unit.
Within normal use it is fabulous technology, but you also became aware of the potential intrusive nature especially if used with high resolution, high spec, DSLRs with big lens. Think Google Streets from long range!

However, I'm often wish that I could do just the occasional Gigapan using the E-30 and Gigapan Epic Pro unit, but until some company starts to hire them out I won't in the short term be investing. I would for example love to redo my Hexham Abbey interior Gigapan with the Oly and 12-60mm lens, to see how it compares with the original panorama.
However, I did have a look just a few days ago and noticed a Gigapan Epic Pro being sold at a slightly reduced price, so if interested have a look at http://www.360tacticalvr.com/giga-epic-pro.html - 810 plus free extra battery
And if in the meantime anyone gets to here of a hire scheme for the Epic Pro, let me know, I might feel tempted!

Regards
Chris