Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th January 2011

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Which Printer?

I am looking to change my Epson 2400 printer as I am fed up with the print heads requiring cleaning each time it is used.
I don't use it an awful lot, maybe I should just send piccies off to a printing house, any suggestions gratefully recieved
Old 10th January 2011
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts
Re: Which Printer?

I'm interested in this as I've so far held back from getting an A3 printer because I've heard about so many problems with light use/print head blocking

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I use an Epson R800 which does a max of A4. I don't use it much but don't have any real problems with head cleaning. The quality of print is very good. (not just my opinion)
What I do have a problem with is the cost of the ink. If you scale the price of a cartridge up to the volume of a bottle of malt whisky it would be over £500 a bottle!
One question would be how many A3 prints are you likely to do in a year or 2 years. If it is a low number I would go to a commercial printer.
I use Trumps in Edinburgh who provide an A3 for £5.50 approx. printed with longlife inks on Fuji paper. They willl also print odd shapes. I have had panoramas up to a 1000 by 300 for about £16.
My photographic club will also print an A3 for £3.

Lots of toys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wanderer For This Useful Post:
StephenL (10th January 2011), yorky (10th January 2011)
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I have an Epson R1800 and I have had constant problems with head blockage in warm weather, but no problems in winter. I don't use it very often and rarely for A3. The Cartridge People do compatible inks which are much cheaper, don't cause any more clogging than original and have extremely long print life. When I replace it will not be with an Epson (unless they've solved the clogging problem) and I will more than likely not buy A3, as the additional cost is not repaid with the number of A3s I print.

David
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi I have an A3 epson printer only use it in emergancies now, because I get my A3 prints done at DSCL to which they do what you call wet print process it cost about £1.40 to £1.67 depending on qauntity that includes postage, as for home printing on my epson it comes out to more like £2.40 a print and the qaulity is not as good, this is using continuos ink system and if you have to reprint cause colour not quite right then this cost goes up to £3 or £4, where as DsSCL prints are consistant and bang on every time.

Dave
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 788 Times in 271 Posts

We have an Epson R1800 which has not given any problem from new. I hope that continues now I have written that.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

I too have an Epson R1800 and replacement cartridge costs are the key issue with most printers let alone A3 printers, it's just that an A3 print uses them up quicker! I got rid of an A4 Lexmark because it was cheaper to replace it every year than keep buying its cartridges, and I don't like that type of dealyed cost selling (even though everything seems to be sold now-a-days cheapily in the hope that they recover costs / make profit through the spares and maintenance)
The main advantage for me is that I can print onto A3+ Somerset textured art paper, which for some strange reason is often cheaper than A3 art paper. It gives me a high quality Giclιe print to my own requirements as and when I need them. But it is costing me, and an online printing company such as Redcliffe http://www.redcliffe.co.uk/digital_f...t_printing.htm would probably be more cost effective.
So possibly check cartridge costs first, then buy an A4 printer for general works and use online printing for bigger prints.

Regards
Chris
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an Epson R800. I only used it occasionally and it lasted me five years. The prints, when printed with a decent custom profile, were superb. I had no problems with blocked prints heads in the time that I had it. In the end, it was the paper feed that failed.

I bought an Epson R2880 in November 2009. I still only use it occasionally. Again, the prints are superb. I have been using downloadable profiles for the brands of paper I use and all produce excellent results so I haven't felt the need to try and see if I can improve on them with custom ones. The only annoyance is having to swap the Glossy Black and Matte Black inks if you want to switch from Gloss to Matte paper and visa versa.

Ink costs are an issue, but there is no way around this if you want a good home printer. If you print a lot, a continuous ink unit might be worth considering: I gather they are a lot more reliable than when first introduced. Alternatively, if you have the money and want larger prints an Epson R3880 might be better value - ink costs are less for larger Epson printers.

Padgreen
Old 10th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
I had an Epson R800. I only used it occasionally and it lasted me five years. The prints, when printed with a decent custom profile, were superb. I had no problems with blocked prints heads in the time that I had it. In the end, it was the paper feed that failed.

I bought an Epson R2880 in November 2009. I still only use it occasionally. Again, the prints are superb. I have been using downloadable profiles for the brands of paper I use and all produce excellent results so I haven't felt the need to try and see if I can improve on them with custom ones. The only annoyance is having to swap the Glossy Black and Matte Black inks if you want to switch from Gloss to Matte paper and visa versa.

Ink costs are an issue, but there is no way around this if you want a good home printer. If you print a lot, a continuous ink unit might be worth considering: I gather they are a lot more reliable than when first introduced. Alternatively, if you have the money and want larger prints an Epson R3880 might be better value - ink costs are less for larger Epson printers.
I am using a continuous ink systym from Permajet but suffer a lot from blocked jets usually in the Light Magenta ink. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I think that the answer to print head blocking is to turn the printer on and off on a regular basis, say every couple of days. This cycles ink through the heads.
I am keen to get a new A+ printer after the demise of my 1290 a few years ago. It would be the R2880 and I would use it a lot for camera club and other competitions. I like the control of the image but on the other hand there are some great commercial print houses out there - DS Colour Labs are really good, and inexpensive.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

I use a HP B9180 and when it works it is a great printer. Not had trouble with heads clogging for ages. The printheads had to be replaced under warrenty.
I wouldn't get another one, HP service is not good IMHO.
I will use DSCL when it finaly dies.
Old 10th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

I use a Canon 9000 PRO printer and never have any problems with head clogging. The print quality is excellent and there are often good deals on Canon Ink and Canon paper online. It's been superseded by the 9000 pro Mk2.

Paul
Old 10th January 2011
Senior

Liked 159 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
I use a Canon 9000 PRO printer and never have any problems with head clogging. The print quality is excellent and there are often good deals on Canon Ink and Canon paper online. It's been superseded by the 9000 pro Mk2.

Paul
I also use a Canon 9000 Pro (Mk2) and so far have had no problems.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight••• Lumix: G9 | LX100 ••• Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 ••• Leica: 100-400 | 12-60••• Samyang: 7.5 fisheye ••• Tamron: 14-150 •
Old 11th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had an HP8750 A3 printer for 3 or 4 years now. Never have any problems, just put in a sheet of A3 photo paper and it prints perfect borderless prints, even if I haven't used it for several months.
Pick up the cartridges fairly cheap off eBay or amazon Market Place. Brilliant!
Old 11th January 2011

Thanks for all the info. I think I may save up for a Canon,The epson is ok when it works but I seem to spend more time clearing heads.