Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 17th May 2010

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
E-PL1 with MMF-1

I'm thinking of taking up the promo offer but before I do I would very much appreciate the hands on experiences of anyone out there who already has the combo and tested it out with their 4/3 lenses.

My local dealer can offer me a body to look at but doesn't have the adapter available and I haven't yet found a review which has much information on this aspect.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2010
Rod Souter

Re: E-PL1 with MMF-1

I have used the MMF-1 with my E-P1 and a range of lenses from a 7-14 to a 70-300 and even a set of OM bellows. The combination works well, but can look a little incongruous with some of the larger lenses.

HTH

Rod
Old 18th May 2010

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I've got the E-PL1 / MMF-1 and a wide selection of ZD glass (most of the basic and pro lenses). The focusing is slightly slower than the micro 4/3 lenses and I wouldn't want to use them for anything fast moving, but for anything else they work absolutely fine.

My Bigma on the E-PL1 looks strange, being all lens, but I've had some really good results. The 11-22mm is also another of my favourites on the E-PL1.

The only problem I've found is once you have a PEN, your regular E series seams to get used very little.

Simon
Old 18th May 2010

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I've got the E-PL1 / MMF-1 and a wide selection of ZD glass (most of the basic and pro lenses). The focusing is slightly slower than the micro 4/3 lenses and I wouldn't want to use them for anything fast moving, but for anything else they work absolutely fine.

My Bigma on the E-PL1 looks strange, being all lens, but I've had some really good results. The 11-22mm is also another of my favourites on the E-PL1.

The only problem I've found is once you have a PEN, your regular E series seams to get used very little.

Simon
Thanks both. Very interesting and food for more thought!

I saw one review last night that said autofocus would not be available with some lenses - have you ever come across this (I assume that the article wasn't talking about OM lenses - it didn't say so).

Simon - your last comment in particular has really got me thinking though. Is the PEN that good???
Old 18th May 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

scary thought - but I have never found Simon one to exaggerate.
Old 18th May 2010

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Kevin,

I have a E-PL1 & MMF-2 (which is the cheapy plastic version of the MMF-1) and have used it with several 4/3 lenses .... 12-60, 50mm f2, 50-150 Kit lens, 7-14.

All work ok in AF although they may be a bit slow & not as happy in low light, but pretty usable for general work.

E-PL1 IQ is excellent.

I have to say that for general 'out and about' use my E-3, feels like something from the steam age. The E-3 still has its place on a tripod, long night time, in doors tabletop.

My 2p.

Chris
Old 18th May 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well the E-PL1 hasn't caused my E-3 to be left in the bag, but it is a formidable camera in a small package.

I've tried the 11-22 and 14-54 mk1 with the mmf-2, both focus fine and I'm really not aware of a lag.

I gather from other forums there may be a problem with some Sigma lenses, can't say as the E-PL1 is not a natural home for either of the Sigmas I use.

Sadly I bought my E-PL1 just too early for this concession to apply.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 19th May 2010

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Well every lense I have tried has auto focused, although a little slow, this includes my Bigma and 150mm f2.8 Sigma.

My comment on the E-3 not getting used that much is more to do with my photography preference rather than the equipment. The E-PL1 sits in my work bag during the week so I always have it on me and generally if I get out taking pictures at the weekend I'm normally walking/hiking, which plays to the E-PL's strengths of being small and light. Where I need to take action shots (like when we went to Woburn Safari Park last week) or the weather is slightly inclement the E-3 gets dusted off, I wouldn't want to be without the E-3.

In terms of quality the images I'm getting from the E-PL1 I would suggest these are slightly better than the E-3, especially at higher ISO, but considering the E-PL1 is a couple of year younger in development this is to be expected.

The only real issues I have with the E-PL1 is the lack of a OVF/EVF as in bright light the liveview washes out, however I've got the EVF on order, which should resolve the issue and the lack of a dial for changing the aperture/shutter is a little annoying however you get use to using the buttons.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the E-PL1 and E-3 complement each other every well.

Simon