Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 2nd February 2010

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
E-Gulls as seen by 70-300mm (multiple images)

Well, a few lessons learnt from the last outing, better use of a lovely sunny day and an improvement in the results. Yet again the E-520 and 70-300mm combination shows that in the right conditions I'm going to have a lot of difficulty claiming that I need a bigger better DSLR. And these birds were getting very close which made it even more challenging, so some shots will miss body parts!!

"The cloaked avenger hides his face"

You can almost see the skid marks as this gull realises that it's just missed its turning!

Not really sure which would have made the better photo - the water splash being in focus and the bird not, or vice versa? Whatever the case, I was so impressed with the water droplets clarity in this.

As you can see, the sunlight has played a major part in the attraction of these photos compared to the last session.

Chris
Old 2nd February 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: E-Gulls as seen by 70-300mm (multiple images)

I'm liking these action shots, excellent especially the third one

Mike
Old 2nd February 2010

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Nice shots like the wing shape in no 7 will have to give this a try lots of bread needed?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 2nd February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Nice shots like the wing shape in no 7 will have to give this a try lots of bread needed?
Bread? No of course not, just many many hours of training!!

However . . . the key essentials:
  • Some form of enticement is useful, preferably provided by someone else so that you can concentrate on the photography. Bread especially is a problem for ducks and in some public areas feeding the wildlife can lead to fines, so perhaps leave it to others to feed or take grain / mealworm / a can of tuna (no don't, not the latter). You'll also find that photos of birds with large pieces of bread don't make for good images!
  • A location where the wildlife is used to humans, thus making it a lot easier to get those very close fly-bys
  • A location where you can maximise the sunlight, that is relatively sheltered from the wind, and that has a relatively small area that is used by the wildlife - ducks are a good indicator of a feeding area, and this can attract other wildlife
  • And a bit of patience to take time to watch how the wildlife uses the area, routeways & circuits that the birds fly, how they react, and how to best make use of the light and shade, etc., etc.

It's certainly been an interesting photo opportunity challenge for me, and very pleased with how the camera gear did.

Chris
Old 2nd February 2010

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Amazing shots.
Just don't know how you have done this as I cannot manage to capture a B****y great Heron from 100 yds.

Keith
Old 2nd February 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lovely pics, nice one

I saw your other post and pics (also very good BTW) and your comments about needing more focus points

I take a lot of pics of bike racing and I find it easier to lock the autofocus to a single point as it saves the autofocus hunting about points trying to find one thats in focus, if you know what I mean.

I found it helped a lot, could be worth a try

Andy
Old 2nd February 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

I really, really, really like the 2nd shot, there is tons of charactor in this shot, well done

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 2nd February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellergixer View Post
Lovely pics, nice one

I saw your other post and pics (also very good BTW) and your comments about needing more focus points

I take a lot of pics of bike racing and I find it easier to lock the autofocus to a single point as it saves the autofocus hunting about points trying to find one thats in focus, if you know what I mean.

I found it helped a lot, could be worth a try

Andy
Yep, tried that this time so had the centre of the three fixed but those birds, when they're so close to, move really rather fast for me! Plus once the E-520 loses focus onto a more distant backdrop it takes an age for it to recover. Plus it then gets difficult to frame the bird as you want, so a lot of photos ended up less than ideal from a composition point of view.
I've had a similar problem with low flying aircraft on the nearby range, where the zone of focus seems quite small at times, so a slightly more distant object isn't picked up very well, the system then hunts and by the time it's ready the object has long gone!
Has anyone seen a diagram for the area covered by the focus points? Is it very much the box area or is that just an indicator of a 'zone'?
C'est la vie, I guess.
Old 2nd February 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Yep, tried that this time so had the centre of the three fixed but those birds, when they're so close to, move really rather fast for me! Plus once the E-520 loses focus onto a more distant backdrop it takes an age for it to recover. Plus it then gets difficult to frame the bird as you want, so a lot of photos ended up less than ideal from a composition point of view.
I've had a similar problem with low flying aircraft on the nearby range, where the zone of focus seems quite small at times, so a slightly more distant object isn't picked up very well, the system then hunts and by the time it's ready the object has long gone!
Has anyone seen a diagram for the area covered by the focus points? Is it very much the box area or is that just an indicator of a 'zone'?
C'est la vie, I guess.
Yeah I get that too, I think maybe it just loses focus on the subject because its not picked up a good contrast or edge, and struggles to reset itself. Theres quite a few times Ive had to refocus on the grass to get it sorted.

As for aircraft, I used to be good at that, but I was very dissapointed at my last efforts, focus and lightness (levels) all either way too dark or way too light, but thats another subject eh!
Old 3rd February 2010

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

These are excellent as are those in the LFP section.

I must give this a go soon
Old 4th February 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts

These are a great example of what the 70-300 really is capable of. It's not a very glamorous lense, but it's actually very capable (good for portraits and macro as well as wildlife), versatile and good value.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4th February 2010

Thanks for all the positive comments - I think that it's a cracking lens in the right conditions, at possibly half the weight, a fraction of the size, and a pimple of the cost of a friend's rather lovely Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8G IF-ED VR Lens attached to a lovely heavy Nikon D200 (plus all the rest) - for some reason, he doesn't go out with his kit very often! But to give him credit, when he does get out with the kit he takes some cracking photos that make me jealous.

Of course maybe I should be trying out / hiring the Zuiko Digital 90-250mm f/2.8 to use with the E-30 before getting too cocky about cost, weight and size?

Ta

Chris
Old 4th February 2010

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
These are a great example of what the 70-300 really is capable of. It's not a very glamorous lense, but it's actually very capable (good for portraits and macro as well as wildlife), versatile and good value.

Ian
It's next on my list.

I plan to try wildlife/bird shots for the first time when I get it.

Shots like these just inspire me to go out and do it!

DavidJ.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.
Old 5th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep. I'm definately warming to this lens. I must resist. Great set of photo's.

Mike
Old 8th February 2010

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Great photos! Number 2 is my favourite.
I have the 70-300mm lens for my E510. Bright sunny days definitely help ALOT. I find it can be a bit of pain on darker gloomy days - I have trouble getting focus, it hunts, and then the resulting images never seem sharp.
But you've demonstrated that in the right conditions, it's a nice bit of glass!

Cheers,
Pete.