Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 The second generation smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 18th August 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New user of OM-D E-M10 MkII

Coming late to this thread but just to say I have found the same problem with overblown highlights. The camera doesn't seem to cope very well with areas of excessive contrast, like sunlight coming through trees. None of the reviews of the camera mentioned this as an issue. Are there any optimal settings I could use to get round this? Spot metering? HDR? I am still getting to grips with the menus!
Thanks guys
Chris
Old 18th August 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Chris,

I have actually changed my mind about overblown highlights since my first post. The truth is I don't think the camera is set anywhere near it's optimum straight from the factory.

There are quite a few "how to set up your O-MD camera for best results" on the web and after trying some of these, and experimenting, I am quite satisfied with what the camera produces now.

So much so that I bought an O-MD EM-1 and a new 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens. I sold the pancake EZ lens that I originally got with the O-MD E-M10 MkII, because it produced inconsistent results. I replaced that with a Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Mk II Asph Mega O.I.S. (what a mouthful).

The E-M10 II is my holiday camera, because of it's size and weight, the E-M1 I use most of the time, many times in preference to my Nikon D750.

The very thing that sets these cameras apart - the customisation options - initially can overwhelm the new user and produce disappointing results, but when you have played around for a while it is nothing short of fantastic.

Regards all.

Dave
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (18th August 2017)
Old 18th August 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

The best way to stop blown highlights is to turn on the "blinkies" (over/under exposure highlighting in the live view) and use exposure comp to set exposure so that the highlights are just clipping (if shooting raw). Assign exp comp to a dial for rapid nailing of exposure every time!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th August 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Paul,

I have used "blinkies," but I prefer to constantly monitor the histogram in the viewfinder window. This gives me an instant notification of which way the exposure is leaning.

I can then (if I wish) use compensation to move the exposure (rotating the front dial) left or right in the histogram to get the perfect exposure. This method works better for me than "blinkies." Each to their own as we say in Yorkshire.

I hope Chris soon finds what works for him and improves his results.

Regards all,

Dave
Old 20th August 2017

Liked 3,512 Times in 1,636 Posts

Welcome Paul,

As said you are already into the forum with loads of advice.

I also shoot RAW and jpegs (not for BIF).

I use the jpegs as a quick view on the computer. Not to be a heretic, I find the Windows Photo programme (free with Windows) not a bad editor, certainly a quick one ()

It does not always do the job, but certainly gives a idea what can be done with a (proper) edit such as Lightroom. It sometimes overdoes the shadows, but is useful nevertheless....

Best of luck...

My Flickr
Old 30th August 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having studied carefully the photos which are blown with those that are not the variable factor is the ISO level. I had ISO set to Auto. Taking exactly the same shots within minutes of each other, aperture priority, the ISO level seems to fluctuate wildly. The ones with blown highlights have ISO above 2000 (3200 in one case). I also had HDR turned on and wondered whether this is the problem. I have now set a fixed ISO of 250 (for no particular reason) and turned off HDR. A few practice shots today seem to have it sorted (although it's not nearly as bright today). Thanks for your comments

(BTW it's Chris(tine))!
Old 30th August 2017

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig View Post
Having studied carefully the photos which are blown with those that are not the variable factor is the ISO level. I had ISO set to Auto. Taking exactly the same shots within minutes of each other, aperture priority, the ISO level seems to fluctuate wildly. The ones with blown highlights have ISO above 2000 (3200 in one case). I also had HDR turned on and wondered whether this is the problem. I have now set a fixed ISO of 250 (for no particular reason) and turned off HDR. A few practice shots today seem to have it sorted (although it's not nearly as bright today). Thanks for your comments

(BTW it's Chris(tine))!
Ah, yes, using autoISO with HDR causes all sorts of problems (I speak from experience). For this particular issue you will presumably also suffer from the innate reduction in dynamic range of all cameras as the ISO rises.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 30th August 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Mark,

Now you mention the auto ISO you have made a connection for me that I had not made myself. I remember that when I was experiencing the same problem with blown highlights I had mine set to Auto ISO.

Since that time I have locked my E-M1 onto 200ASA (that's where I get the best results from) and don't experience any blown highlights now. I rely on the f2.8 12-40mm Pro lens and the 5-Axis stabilisation instead. This seems to work just fine for me, only occasionally do I have to resort to fill in flash.

You also commented on HDR, again I too found this to be an issue with the Auto ISO, in fact so much so that I dismissed the HDR results as being very poor. Not at all what I was expecting.

I will re-visit HDR again using the 200ASA setting I have adopted.

Thanks for your observation. From my point of view that has explained a lot of things.

Regards,

Dave